Solace

Is 2 Meals a Day Good or Detrimental For Under 30's?

14 posts in this topic

When I have 2 meals a day I feel more alive and more conscious. The one caveat is that after 5-6 hours between meals hunger really settles in.

Sadhguru recommends that those under 30 should eat 3 times a day, but he also recommends that Yogis eat once every 8 hours. So which is more important for spirituality + Do you have any recipes for this?

Currently I eat Leos smoothie with groats, and the vegetable soup (uncooked), and I'm 17.

Edited by Solace

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

You should look into intermittent fasting. There are huge long term benefits to IF. Also less grains and starches in your diet will level out your hunger pangs. If you could eat between 2pm and 8pm each day and only water or unsweetened tea drank during the day you are doing the 16:8 intermittent fast which is the standard method for most people. If you haven't already google 16:8 intermittent fasting just to check it works for a 17 year old.

@star ark I'm going to give IF a go!

Here's my new plan:

11 am - Blueberry smoothie: 2 bananas (instead of one), 1/2 cup Oats, 1 cup Blueberry's, Spinach, Almond Milk, Raw Honey, Cocoa Powder

2-3 am - Some Fruit (nuts perhaps) << This is an optional snack

6 am- Vegetable Soup (8 cups)

Edited by Solace

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

Seems like you lready are ;) Nevertheless if you are not trying to lose weight I would think the kcal intake is kind of insufficient. Especially if you are male, are you? I am also doin 2 meal per day and often catch myself with that problem. 

@YaMayka Kind of. I skipped Lunch before instead of breakfast. Yeah, cramming all of those calories into 2 meals is something I overlooked a few days ago when I changed my eating habits to this. The meals above are smallish still, but I can add more bananas!

@Solace you should add some protein and some healthy fat - that would make up for the kcal. I like to add cashew nut butter or macadamia nuts (you may eat eat by spoon or add it to your smoothie), have some linseed oil (with a salad). For protein you may add hemp seed or pumpkin seed to your salad, or grind it and add to your soup. If you eat meat/fish/egg, well that's easier. You will lose a lot weight if eat only what you described and your body will get weak. I don't have a problem with eating twice a day (IF is great!) - just make sure you get all your body needs. Ah - and cruciferous vegetables are great! (broccolis , cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts - yeah, all that stuff ;))

Edited by YaMayka

10 hours ago, Solace said:

@star ark I'm going to give IF a go!

Here's my new plan:

11 am - Blueberry smoothie: 2 bananas (instead of one), 1/2 cup Oats, 1 cup Blueberry's, Spinach, Almond Milk, Raw Honey, Cocoa Powder

2-3 am - Some Fruit (nuts perhaps) << This is an optional snack

6 am- Vegetable Soup (8 cups)

Try cacao powder instead of cocoa powder. It's more nutritional and close to the original/raw state.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

I eat a bunch of fruit and nuts and some yogurt/kefer/milk in the morning (early or late), then later between 2 and 4pm I eat something else~ some soup and salad (hopefully) or a sandwich~ then a little cookie and a chocolate truffle.

That's about twice-a-day that I have something to eat. In the middle of the day I like to have a single espresso though.

If I'm doing something really strenuous like climbing or skiing all day …I generally eat even less if it's not very convenient~ go figure— but then I'll really try to eat some soup of some sort then have nuts and dried fruit again at night-time.

I think you are fine eating only twice a day~but it really depends what your body wants!

I've always been kind of a bird-food person…

Nana i ke kumu  Ka imi loa

You'd be perfectly fine eating only twice a day. In fact, I'd recommend it to everyone as to gain the health benefits of intermittent fasting and time restricted eating. Having more than 3 meals is definitely unnecessary and may become a massive distraction in your life.

I personally have one meal a day or this 1,5 meals a day, haha. But basically, the motivation is to save less time eating and to promote my keto-adaptation further. This increases my mitochondrial density and allows my body to generate more energy even in the presence of zero calories. When in ketosis, your body becomes less affected by hunger, lack of food, mood swings, energy dips and other negative side-effects of digestion.

Should everyone eat one meal a day? Not needed and it may not be suitable for everyone. Check out my video about explaining the benefits of eating once a day and to see whether or not it's something you're interested in.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

@YaMayka I found that yesterday I had slightly less food than I would like, so I've added a cup of nuts and raisins for Lunch and more extra virgin olive oil to the soup with pumpkin seeds. Feels great to not be waiting for the next meal anymore.

@Siim Land That's impressive man, something I'll do in the future for sure. Actually there are 2 days in the month that people naturally want to fast on which is called Ekadashi. It's on the 11th day after a full or new moon: http://isha.sadhguru.org/blog/yoga-meditation/demystifying-yoga/ekadashi/ It's tomorrow on the 27th for you.

Edited by Solace

On 2018-01-24 at 3:00 PM, star ark said:

You should look into intermittent fasting. There are huge long term benefits to IF. Also less grains and starches in your diet will level out your hunger pangs. If you could eat between 2pm and 8pm each day and only water or unsweetened tea drank during the day you are doing the 16:8 intermittent fast which is the standard method for most people. If you haven't already google 16:8 intermittent fasting just to check it works for a 17 year old.

I totally agree! I am 60 now and have not felt this good, healthy, strong and slim mind you!, in years. I've been eating 1 meal a day at around 6pm (IF=intermittent fasting) and went for 23 days on liquids alone 1 year ago and never looked back. That's it for me! My ultimate goal is to listen to my body and allow it to organically, gently, intuitively go full Breatharian before I turn 70! Thanks for your post.

I can totally agree that intermittent fasting is mindblowingly good for actualizing or do spiritual work. If once established you have a way more steady and in total higher energy level over the day. Also if you get into ketosis your focus get better which helps really for meditation. Not without reason it is practiced in some monastaries. It has also significant health benefits you can recongnize forself after a short amount of time.

But i could not conceal that it took me a lot of willpower for 3 months to establish it, because i was so addicted to food. The funny thing which seem counterintuitive to almost everyone is, that i can enjoy my diet now way more than the regular eating i did before. I am sure if I did the transition with knowledge I have now, i only had to struggle for maybe 3-4 weeks instead of 3 months.

By far the best source for this I personaly found from a at first really crazy sounding guy named Dr. Nun S. Amun Ra. There is a very good interview from Markus Rothkranz with him available on youtube were he outlines his reasearch and diet.