Ape

Can the mindfulness/equanimity state be an escape from negative emotions?

16 posts in this topic

I'm asking myself this question right now because I am going through a break-up. I can effortlessly enter a mindfulness/equanimity state in which I don't feel sad or depressed at all but if I let my mind wander freely I become deeply sad.

Am I avoiding an experience that I should go through by "ignoring" the sadness with mindfulness until enough time passed or is it just ego that I should overcome with mindfulness? 

????????

Edited by Ape

@Ape Try acknowledging the negative emotions you have with mindfulness rather than escaping from them. That’s the purpose of mindfulness, to investigate our thoughts not to escape from them. 

It's not like the negative emotions are not there in the mindfulness state, but rather that I don't feel any sadness in the way I am used to.

@Ape Okay I see. That’s good then no? It sounds like you’re able to be aware of your negative feelings in that mindful and let them flow rather than getting caught up in them. 

It could either be that or that the sadness is there for a reason.
At the moment I feel like I am escaping from something when I just "ignore" this sadness, that's why I created this post.

you don't ignore you just acknolegde and understand , ignore a feeling is just replace with something to avoid it , the sadness is a label , the feeling is just the feeling . Is normal to stay ok with the feeling cause only thought make it ''bad'' 

The negative emotions are coming from you, not the wind or anything. So if you can sit quietly in equanimity, you’re doing well. Sounds to me like you have developed ‘not believing your thoughts’. That’s very beneficial in the storms. It allows you to continue forward, when others are becoming paralyzed with fear. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

1 hour ago, Ape said:

It could either be that or that the sadness is there for a reason.
At the moment I feel like I am escaping from something when I just "ignore" this sadness, that's why I created this post.

Do you feel like your sadness is trying to teach you something? Maybe investigating your sadness will help you to gain a lesson about your previous relationship. 

As you start experiencing the Negative Emotions, turn your awareness into your body sensations. There is always a subtle annoying body sensation so just at that moment just ask yourself "What am i avoiding in this moment that is true?"

It does sound like you're escaping/suppressing. Mindfulness and equanimity by themselves aren't an escape, if they're applied to what would naturally come up for you, which is sadness, as you say. An escape isn't fundamentally bad of course. You do it because it makes it easier to cope and, I would assume, function in your life. @Ape

Equanimity comes when you're aware of the negative emotions arising and passing however you're drowning in this wisdom / realization everything is changing every moment

hello, mr Ape~

You're nailing this episode by not excreting sadness on top of of the knowledge of loss. Congratulations.

What is most important to realize is that your acute feelings are an excellent way to gauge the practical benefits of skillful mindfullness in terms of forgetting feelings (as if it's you doing the forgetting). It's the shining mind just shining.

We use the things constituting worldly affairs to polish and refine away the polluted aspects of conscious awareness. It's called "seeing through phenomena without denying its characteristics."

This development is exhibiting the appearance of the shining mind that doesn't ruminate. In situations such as this I have tended to effect a sense of objectless gratitude for no reason at all.

Ego is perplexed and is second-guessing this and wants to wallow in agitation and conflicting emotions!

Breakups matter (ultimately not.) Not one single aspect of created conditions matter. Never have; never will.

Forget 'em while the forgetting is good without denying anything. Anything can be used as a crutch by ignorance.

Your body-knowledge will be the judge in the final analysis.

Ego just wants a piece of the action❤︎…

ed note: add first line and "as if…"; spell "gauge" and "your" better; add the line with "seeing through phenomena without denying its characteristics."

Edited by deci belle

Nana i ke kumu  Ka imi loa

On 19.1.2018 at 6:26 PM, Ape said:

I'm asking myself this question right now because I am going through a break-up. I can effortlessly enter a mindfulness/equanimity state in which I don't feel sad or depressed at all but if I let my mind wander freely I become deeply sad.

I've seen very enlightened people that still suffer immensely from their own karma. Developing of character and integrating emotions is a practice in an of itself and is not primarily connected to mindfulness. Mindfulness / enlightenment / etc. helps to do this for sure, but it doesn't resolve it automatically. So work on that and you're fine.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

On 19/01/2018 at 6:26 PM, Ape said:

Am I avoiding an experience that I should go through by "ignoring" the sadness with mindfulness until enough time passed or is it just ego that I should overcome with mindfulness? 

????????

If whenever an emotion comes, you shut down your mind and be «at peace» instead of fully feeling it, then yes.

One way or another the pain will seek to express itself, there is no escape.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Ape Interesting Interesting Interesting

You Must Learn To Respect All Emotions. It Is Very Crucial To do so. It Is The Mind Which Puts Things In RATE. This Means That The Mind Categorizes The Mutterings Of The Thoughts Into A Critical Order. This Greatly Affects The Reaction-Umbrella Which You Trained It To Do.

To Deconstruct it. You Must Allow It To Dis-mantle My Numbers. This Is The Greatness Of You. But It Has To Be Un-Tinted Humaneness To See it.

Unto That Is The Mindfulness Beyond Mindfulness Into Itself.