Leo-Tzu

Any serious runner out there?

41 posts in this topic

How many times a week do you run? How many km's a day? At what pace? Do you use gadgets like fitbits ect or go natural? What you eat before/after running? 

@Leo-Tzu I am a runner, but not a very serious one. I've never done a marathon or anything like that. Usually only run for 30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. It feels like a lot, but it's not really. Still, it has a massive impact on my day. I feel heavy and achy if I don't run atleast a couple times a week.

Murakami said everything he learnt about writing came from running. In some ways I think thats the same for meditation. You learn to accept discomfort and pain, how to deal with resistance, learning how to not listen to your thoughts, dealing with boredom etc. All transferable over to meditation.

I don't use any gadgets except my digital watch the keep time. And I nearly always run on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning. 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

I'm surprised running isn't talked about more here because it can really jump start meditation. 

I used to be a serious runner in high school but do it just for fun/meditation/time in nature now. I don't measure time or distance but usually run just 4 days a week for 20 minutes, usually on trails. I don't run enough to have to worry about fueling before or recovering after my runs so I just make sure I eat a healthy diet and run on an empty stomach. I used to carb load in high school, such a bad idea. lol

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Running is mah Lifeee.

8 miles yesterday, 9 miles today.

I run based on how i feel. Its an emotional, irrational things for me. Days I dont run, I strengthen my running muscles, as well as lift in general. Its really a lifestyle.

I used to wear running gadgets but these days I love to run free. Ill run with shoes, barefoot, or even with flip flops! 

Tip: Find the feeling that fuels you can use that to run your heart out. Personally, I have run thousands of miles. Most of which have been fueled by doubt, inspiration, divine love, jealousy, hate, etc.

Use the wide variety to push you forward my friend!

60-80 miles per week

Pace depends on the type of day

I use the Garmin Forerunner 225

Like @Sahil Pandit I run by feel though on easy days.

In terms of nutrition, you need to read: The Endurance Diet by Matt Fitzgerald

If you have any questions regarding running, training, etc. please feel free to Sahil and I. 

As far as my background: 

I’m a 4:13 Miler on the track, my own mission as an athlete and a coach is my life purpose and have made friends with athletes such as Matthew Centrowitz (1500m Gold medalist at Rio) and such and HEAVILY involved in the running community. More than happy to give you any advice and tips you may need and I know Sahil is on the same page. 

32 minutes ago, lostmedstudent said:

@mandyjw how come carb load is bad?? :o

It depends on what you mean by carbo loading. 

If you're racing under a marathon, the notion of carbo loading is pretty much irrelevant. If you're a track or cross country 10K guy, it would be a total joke if you're stuffing your face with rice, grains, and pasta. To put this into perspective: an elite miler who has a strong enough lactate threshold to sustain a high near max effort (even though a mile is pretty much 75-80% aerobic) burns about the amount of calories that are in a banana + 1/2 an orange. 

Also understanding that yes, glycogen is mainly stored in carbohydrates, the doesn't mean you're gut should just take that in. 

You need to make sure you're eating healthy fat that stores glycogen and also a protein that still well in your stomach and system that allows you to slow down the digestion process so you don't burn those calories so quickly (duration is extremely relative one's digestion and metabolism - I can eat 3 double double and animal fries at in n out, take a shit, and run 3 hours later no problem. Other people need to be more specific).

If you're racing or running in races in longer distances (half marathon up I'd say), learn to train your system to burn fat on low glycogen stores. There's nuance to this and is still case by case (in multiple scenarios) so don't go fast 12 hours and try and run 22 mile long run at your same pace if you've never done this before. You have to be smart but training the body to utlize fat as a source of fuel in the longer stuff is huge. 

For fast races (800m, 1600m) I like to feel pretty empty in my stomach. This has helped me prevent any types of cramps or indigestion from food.

If i were to eat, i would eat extremely light, 1/2 a tangerine would do. 

But for longer races, i would most likely have a larger meal the night prior, and a light breakfast the day of the race.

Whats important is to find what works for YOU. I've gone through my trial and error phase with food before running, so i've been on the tail end of it as well. 

I used to do athletics (forced to) at school and after about 30 meters I would get severe lactic attack. I would love to take up running when I weigh a lot less (I would murder my ankles right now) but I am not sure I will be able to due to the lactic acid buildup. Wierdly though I can swing kettlebells for ages which is one of the hardest going exercises out there and I don't get the lactic acid thing...

I noticed a severe improvement very quickly doing kettlebell swings in relation to walking. Having quit smoking (a decade of 20 a day) I could barely walk a mile when I started, just 3 weeks of daily KB swings (and not many because it is REALLY hard cardio) I was walking 3 miles, then 6, then 9... so on.

If you aren't doing KB swings I really recommend you look into them especially if you enjoy running. They are cardio but also like doing weights too especially if you swing a heavier bell, as you use your hip flexors and core to do it, not your arms.

Then there's snatches, turkish getups, heavier bells, etc...amazing cheatcode.

@thesmileyone

After all my homework all these years and through trial and error, I honestly think KBs and Med Balls are the only real strength tools a runner really needs. The amount you can do with them is astounding and are so practical towards running because they emphasize functional strength and movement and not just repetitive limited movements that only train isolated muscle groups rather than train them to cooperate together.

I usually run 6x a week, average 70-80km. I try to run mostly at an easy pace, but about 20-30% of my running is at intense paces. I try to stay well nourished in general, maybe just a small snack right before a medium run, and carry a bar or something for a very long run. Before a short run, I only eat if I'm hungry. After a run I eat some carbs and protein. I eat a ton of food in general, but try to eat nothing after an early dinner until breakfast the next day. I use a garmin 235, love it.

Running makes me feel good.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

Running fasted in the morning is a great way to slim up, for anyone who is trying to shed a few lbs.

I found this very helpful when i was trying to get rid of that "stubborn belly fat" that men have on their lower belly, in the belly button area.

Here's how it goes:

1.) Eat dinner at 6-7pm.

2.) Wake up in the AM, drink a large glass of water to rehydrate, then wait 35 minutes (Depending on how long you need, up to you) 

3.) Do your run (5 miles, 7 miles, etc.) 

4.) Come back. Light stretching, chill out, wait 10 minutes, hit the shower. 

5.) Then make a smoothie B|

Edited by Sahil Pandit

any suggestions for a vegetarian/ vegan diet?

my diet is vegetarian but i dont eat eggs or drink milk. my only dairy intake is snacks occasionally like cookies, cheese or other food that has egg/milk. 

does The Endurance Diet by Matt Fitzgerald talk about vegetarian diet?@kieranperez @Sahil Pandit

my protein source is mostly lentils and tofus. other wise by the sheer fact that im vegetarian, i have a lot of carbs in my diet. theres no way i can last 20k without any energy gel.. could it be because  i havent trained my body to burn fat? i just feel like i could do longer cardiovascularly speaking :P but im so hungry after 20k that i feel my hands and feet tingling thati have to stop.. i am also pretty skinny, do i need to gain more weight? my bmi is 19

thanks 

1 hour ago, kieranperez said:

If you're racing under a marathon, the notion of carbo loading is pretty much irrelevant. If you're a track or cross country 10K guy, it would be a total joke if you're stuffing your face with rice, grains, and pasta.

@kieranperez im not sure i understand this... most of my long runs i go for an easy pace (my half marathon pace or slower).

@outlandish wow your guys have impressive mileage~~~~~~~~~~~!

@lostmedstudent i'm not a vegetarian at the moment, but i'm working on it. I do eat eggs and chicken.

Make sure you're eating healthy fats. If you have access to avocados, that's a great source right there. Same with walnuts, almonds, pistachios, etc.

I like to make a banana shake and add almonds to it. It's very filling and digests well for me :)