Aquarius

Anyone else addicted to music?

36 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj said:

You aren't actually listening to the music if you are addicted to it. It's just like all the relationships, when you try to get some kind of reaction from some outer source you can't actually see it for what it is. Listening is beautiful, especially when you do it with a little gentleness. Enjoy! :) 

It's like meditation,  you cannot enjoy it if you using too much will power,  you need to surrender  into it  ! Listening just for the sake of listening 

I have listened to music my whole life. I am in love with listening and playing music, but addicted? That is such a strong word. It brings me joy, but not in a neurotic way. Maybe you're just addicted to expressing yourself! Express yourself in other ways.

Listen to this!

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@Serotoninluv Agreed.

@SOUL What do you mean? :( 

@Faceless Sweet :) I live native american drums

@Sri McDonald Trump Maharaj Cool way too look at the subject, I'll think about it. :)

@alyra For me I think listening to music is more than just a bad habit since I listen all day, so I am addicted. And yeah, obviously not going to give up my carnal needs, and personally I think of enlightenment as something natural, not groundbreaking. Isn't in my top priorities right now. Also consider that many people think many different things about enlightenment and what it is, what it means for them, so it's a lonely journey. For some, awakening to the law of attraction is what enlightenment means. For others it's ascetism. As Leo said too, different people access different aspects of reality. For me enlightenment would mean that bliss of non-doership combined with the nature of consciousness/reality-fabric. What I practiced a lot is biokinesis and it taught me a lot about reality. That was my path. Now your path might be totally different. So yes, I agree that we are not yogis, not at all. The yogi life-style isn't for everyone. Honestly I think of myself as a pretty average or even lower than average person.

@pluto Is the vibrating sound of my neon light healing? xD Buzzzzzzzzzz...... Jk :D 

@Ayilton I'm pretty sure I'm listening because I like music and it makes me happy.

@SgtPepper While I do agree that music does have the aspect of self expression, I see nothing wrong with that. And again, I'm listening because it calms me, I release stress, makes me energetic, and I find it beautiful. I don't feel like I have to excuse myself for feeling this way. :) I just wish I could listen less so I'd have more time for more important stuffs...

@pluto Prettyyy :> I like it!

@Faceless Oh cool, sounds like you have a good taste. :)

For me, I have to listen to every genre and experience every feeling that they give. I'm mostly into darker, deeper stuff.

@Aquarius I think it'd be fine. be careful tho - if you're depressed or moody without music, that's when it's an addiction - but if it simply is something you enjoy. then keep doing it I say. 

totally agree about enlightenment being natural. me I like to just practice being mindful whenever I remember to. it's all I really need. the theoretical stuff - it's meaningless if I don't apply it, see... idk what I am saying. it's been a little hard for me on these forums 'cause everyone's all up all over enlightenment and ascetism and ego-death and all sorts of things that don't really matter to me. I see them all as synonymous really, I practice it through the daily motions - others practice it through dedicated time to be departed from it... and I guess we all like to try to be "wise" when we come here? but it gets kinda in the way. I try to talk to people from my experience, or to ask them a question with the hopes it'll help them take a step back from a catch-22 type of hiccup. idk. The law of attractions approach sounds totally strong approach to me ;) 

100% music effects our mood - that's so true. it's even both ways - the music I wanna listen to also changes from mood to mood. if you feel you're losing time to focus on other things, that's what I'd recomend focusing on - maybe trying to take a break from the music just to have a perspective might be meaningful, but also maybe it's something else entirely too. idk. 

i'm about to hit the sack so I'm sure this post made very little sense xD

I think Alan watts referred to life as a song or a dance if that answers the question:

Try doing a 30-days no music challenge.

You are not allowed to listen to any music. And you must even tune out music in stores over the loud speakers.

I've done it. A very interesting challenge.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Like music is something bad... Music therapy helps dementia, depression, help people learn etc. If you listen to top 100 crap I would rather start listening to high consciousness music like Bach, Stravinsky, Stockhausen (real challenge there!), Berio etc.. 

Leo has a point, in the silence is the one step deeper where ego is afraid to go. The more silence the more you can hear.

I notice many people who take psychedelics get to the music point and stop there usually to help them glide through the experience because they are unwilling to face complete silence yet in other cases complete darkness or both.

B R E A T H E

Of course there's nothing bad about music. I love music. But it's just that people use it as a crutch. It can become a mind-numbing addiction.

When you detach yourself from music is when you can really enjoy it most.

When I trip these days, I use no music. I find it distracts from going full-depth. Even though music sounds amazing when tripping. But the point of a trip is not fun, but insight.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Music is Life

I can't live a day without listening to music. I listen to music at least 1-2 hours a day

On weekends I listen 24 hours

Sarcaste <3 the Sarcasm in Me acknowledges and honors the Sarcasm in You 

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

When you detach yourself from music is when you can really enjoy it most. 

Yes this is very true from my experience. When your detatched you don't even need to find a good music. You can enjoy any songs

Sarcaste <3 the Sarcasm in Me acknowledges and honors the Sarcasm in You