Nahm

Nonduality & Meditations

64 posts in this topic

@Nahm,

I wonder if you would like to speak a bit about what changes in your life once you practice and honour non-duality ?

Do you become more compassionate and less materialistic, for example?

Do you feel happier in general? 

I looked at these Non-dual teachings for a while, but I honestly thought I was happier without them. Sounds strange, I know!

@Nahm Less talking, more doing my friend. Talking about non-duality is easy. Actually working towards it is a whole other thing. I have a rigid practice of 90 mins a day for the last four months. I’ve had many changes in my conciousness since. What I found is that the more I practice, the less I want to talk about non-duality. Do you have a rigid practice? How many hours a day? What is your current progress?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

38 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@LaraGreenbridge

I have everything I ever wanted in my life, and everything I didn’t know I wanted, and above & below all else, inner peace. I am happy. I do my best to be compassionate. I believe I can be more so, I know I can. 

@Nahm,

I wonder if you have had all those things even if you were not interested in non-duality?

My life has improved exponentially in the past 12 years, mainly due to my hard work, getting my psychological life in order... Being pro-active, listening to my intuition, making good connections with reliable, caring people and generally being more aware and more assertive. I had to push myself out of my comfort zone, in some aspects of my life. In other areas of my life, of course, I had to learn to relax and let go.

yes, I think there was absolutely a spiritual component to all this. I believed that I deserved a wonderful life, for example. So, eventually, I built that life. 

Some of it was probably luck, too.

Its interesting that I only ever became involved with Non-duality when I was going through a tough time. When all was good, I didn't look for that kind of thing. 

I had the great mis-fortune to find a teacher that was actually a fraud, so that didn't help, either. I noticed that a lot of people who followed this fraud were mentally ill or else at a low point in their lives. That bothered me a bit.

can you describe how non-duality led you to get everything you have ever wanted?

58 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

@Nahm Less talking, more doing my friend. Talking about non-duality is easy. Actually working towards it is a whole other thing. I have a rigid practice of 90 mins a day for the last four months. I’ve had many changes in my conciousness since. What I found is that the more I practice, the less I want to talk about non-duality. Do you have a rigid practice? How many hours a day? What is your current progress?

Hi @How to be wise,

I agree with you that talking about things can be a distraction sometimes. What I found is that certain types of talk are encouraged in non-dual communities, while questions were generally discouraged.

Sometimes, if you ask a question, you get an answer that "deflects", rather than gives an actual answer. This always bothered me, as I have an inquiring mind and asked a lot of genuine questions. 

I also found that non-dual followers seemed to fall back on cliché quite a lot. They have their little sayings that they repeat over and over again. What they are really pointing to is "don't ask questions".  It can have a bit of a 'trance' effect on you too, all this repetition. 

Sorry if I seem very skeptical! I did have a fraud for a teacher, so I am very suspicious of non-duality now. 

@LaraGreenbridge

I had never been interested in nonduality or enlightenment. I created my life just like you did. It sounds wonderful btw. ? I never had a teacher, but I can understand what you’re saying. That’s really great that you can see the beneficial aspect in things. Takes a lot of life to get there. ? From what I’ve seen, nonduality is not a tool for anything, or useful to any specific application of life. It’s the journey that matters, the joy & the pain. Life. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

27 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@LaraGreenbridge

From what I’ve seen, nonduality is not a tool for anything, or useful to any specific application of life. It’s the journey that matters, the joy & the pain. Life. 

:):):):):) 

Wow, @Nahm!

can I quote you on that? I guess I basically agree with you....!

Would anyone else like to comment on this?

I really can't see the point in Non-duality if it doesn't improve your life. I guess you can kid yourself and think that we don't exist, or don't have lives, as such, or that nothing ever matters to anyone.  But does it make you happy? 

Non Duality is freedom from this vs that,what should or should not be,"me" vs "other", past vs future. It is freedom from resistance to what is. It is freedom from psychological suffering,born from attachment to what is not true (conditioned belief and false sense of self). It is realizing your true nature as eternal,everlasting,and ever alive. It is realizing that your original essence is nondual,all inclusive,free of dualistic conflict created by psychological suffering.

It is peace,joy,deep inner silence,unperturbed by the illusory nature of an implicit dualistic world, created and interpreted by a false identification, with/through, an attachment to the body/senses, and the conditioned thoughts,beliefs,concepts,imaginations and ideas of the mind,as being "me" or "my true self (I)".

Whereas the true "I" is unconditioned,unattached,everlasting and free from the conflicts and suffering of the individual's created,dualistic persona in which they falsely believe to be "I"/"me". aum_purple_200.gif

Edited by who chit

@LaraGreenbridge As Leo says, 1% theory, 99% application. Going to satsangs counts as theory. The only true satsang is within. Application, is only the self inquiry practice. When you sit down, close your eyes and inquire. Although meditation can be counted as practice, unfortunately I’ve heard too many stories of people meditating for decades and not going anywhere. Rick Archer, the interviewer for Batgap, has been doing transcendental meditation for 25 years, teaching and everything, and he is not enlightened AT ALL. Not even ‘no self’. Leo has been meditating for five years and he’s still basically nowhere (I mean his baseline consciousness). The way forward is inquiry/investigation. Everything else is theory. 

Edited by How to be wise

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

My Buddhist teacher told me (today) that there is no such thing as a source/god or existential oneness between all things.

He also said that Buddha is an extraordinary being, and that it is unrealistic to think you can become a Buddha (they see him as an ideal, not as a possibility).

From my point of view, this is not so different than worshipping a god.

Just so you know that even Buddhism is deeply flawed.

You can only count on yourself to take all the information from as many (non bullshit) sources possible and experientially see for yourself what they all really mean.

Don't follow or put anyone on a pedestal or you will limit yourself greatly.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Lovely post, @Nahm Thank you a lot of compiling this.

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

We aren't better, because we want to be.

~ Alan Watts

@Nahm You win the Internet for this post. Excellent guide. 

JK THERE IS NO YOU, TRY HARDER NEXT TIME PLEBE. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.