WaterfallMachine

How do I become less serious?

5 posts in this topic

I can take things too seriously. Mistakes. Failures. Criticism. Impatience. Particularly at myself. I have a habit of seeing how small everyday things can connect to something philosophical or essential to life in general or society — which is a strength at times, and really pressuring at other times. I don’t just see an event at the present, I see an event to how it connects to the far past and the far future. I have this “Search for Truth” and “Working on Life Purpose” thing going on 24/7. 

I look pretty easygoing outside — I’m fairly good at humor. I don’t act that controlling. I look patient and pleasant.

Inside. . .  well . . . I think I could lighten up.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates

You don't. Accept and love yourself for who you are, you are perfect.

See if anything is inherently serious. Think about it

Seriousness can be a good tool. You don't always have to be outgoing and pleasing people.

If you're worried about making philosophical connections don't be unless they're just a word game distracting you from actual meditation. It can be better to contemplate systematically, although of course you also have insights on the fly.

@WaterfallMachine There is nothing wrong with being serious. Something is wrong if you force yourself to be something you're not, act without concordance with who you really are, and prevent yourself from being spontaneous, to be serious sometimes and playful other times. You must always be authentic. People are different, you must find yourself your own harmony.

What is the main thing that you are subconsciously trying to fix in your own life?  What's the one thing that gives you the internal motivation to do all this personal development work?   Is doing this personal development work helping you avoid thoughts, emotions, or realities that are painful?  What are those thoughts, emotions, and realities?  

Edited by Joseph Maynor