Slade

Happiness

12 posts in this topic

Everyone claims to have the “secret to happiness” but how the fuck do we know what’s actually worth pursuing to get the most happiness out of life? I personally want to master happiness. I want to put 10,000 hours into cultivating it. The Dalai Lama claims that the ultimate source of happiness comes from warm heartedness. But how the fuck do we know? Leo has a video saying the deepest happiness comes from Being. But again, how the fuck do we know?

Simply Be happy, the more you practice being happy the more you will attract it naturally. Be kind, Be compassionate, be loving, grateful and caring towards all others and all living things, genuinely. You just gotta do, you just gotta be :)

When i was younger out of curiosity I once forced myself as an experiment and i realized it stuck for a while, at first it was obviously not genuine but as i kept doing it i realized i had become genuinely happy. I had tricked my brain to believing that its true.

B R E A T H E

By looking at your direct experience and finding out for yourself. 

Memento Mori

@Slade u know that’s a great question.

Maybe just observe your self instead of listening to others ? 

A desire for happiness will ultimately lead to sadness. There is an experience of happiness that gave us gratification and when that experience is over we want it again and then arises pleasure. And if that image of the pleasure of happiness is not consistently met as projected there is conflict and suffering. Desire itself implies both happiness and sadness. U long for one you inevitably get both. 

It’s just like pleasure and pain. These two are one in the same. Two sides of the same coin. 

So the question we might want to ask is are these objects of desire actualy worth what is implied in the outcome? 

Maybe if the desire for the coin ceases there will be no conflict ??‍♂️

Edited by Faceless

1 hour ago, Slade said:

Everyone claims to have the “secret to happiness” but how the fuck do we know what’s actually worth pursuing to get the most happiness out of life? I personally want to master happiness. I want to put 10,000 hours into cultivating it. The Dalai Lama claims that the ultimate source of happiness comes from warm heartedness. But how the fuck do we know? Leo has a video saying the deepest happiness comes from Being. But again, how the fuck do we know?

I remember Leo say one time something along the lines that he has proven to himself that to be happy the only thing you need is high awareness.

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

We don't know, but we can now. If you don't know, then you can't know yet. You must do further the "work". Nothing comes easily, not the "answers" make you realize. If you want to master, to know, you must go there by yourself. You must make the steps yourself, no one can give you the answer, because that's not how one starts to really know. The steps are actually the one that make you better, more "informed", that make you actually know, not simple answers. The answers are just showing you that there is a path and that that path is possible.

8 hours ago, Slade said:

You'll be wasting 10,000 hours if you start with cultivating happiness.  You don't cultivate happiness...happiness is your inherent nature.  The time would be better spent on finding out how you make yourself unhappy and cease doing that.    The time would be better spent looking into this "me"...the unhappy "me"...and questioning if that is who/what you really are.  If you want lasting happiness, suffering has to cease first. 

It is like silence, in a way, that as long as you are making noise...there is no silence.  Once you cease making noise, silence is there.  Likewise, as long as your are creating your own miseries...happiness is not there...but once you cease creating suffering for yourself, happiness is there.

Once suffering has ceased (i.e. making yourself unhappy has ceased), I find (in my experience) that there is always a sense of contentment and levels of happiness.  But kindness (i.e. warm heartedness) and appreciation & joy do amplify or raise the feeling of happiness.  I practice kindness and appreciation now...after the cessation of suffering...and I don't think it would have worked very well when I was still suffering.

Edited by eputkonen

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

i think it comes down to how the study is done if you look at how they figured it out then its very likely you will get the answer :) (sometimes there are a research paper going into details in how they figured it out)

for example if i remember right with grit i haven't looked into the study in details but they studied a lot of people in different situations and then probably analyzed it and what they found was that those who had more grit turn out to be more successful than those who didn't those who didn't have as much grit wasn't able to succeed difficult challenges

Edited by BjarkeT

22 minutes ago, cirkussmile said:

We don't know!

But until you know you can at least find out who you are :)

sorry but how is figuring out who you are answer the question? how do you know he doesn't know who he is? 

Edited by BjarkeT

24 minutes ago, BjarkeT said:

sorry but how is figuring out who you are answer the question? how do you know he doesn't know who he is? 

If he knew he wouldn't create a thread and asking all those questions

@cirkussmile why not? isn't knowing who you are and the question he is asking unrelated?(i mean he could figure out who he is if he doesn't already and still not know the answer to the question) you could know who you are but that doesn't mean you have the answer for all questions you can think of that actually impossible it would mean you never could know who you are because there is an infinite amount of questions you can ask you can even ask questions about questions you already asked

Edited by BjarkeT