Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chives99

A better alternative to Cogito ergo sum

5 posts in this topic

René Descartes claims that you could still know you existed even if an evil demon was controlling every thought and perception you had, but what he failed to realise is that the evil demon is you, your deceiving yourself, so the distinction between the thinker and the deceiver is illusory. What would be a more appropriate equivalent of this , would be ' I doubt therefore , I doubt.' 

Edited by Chives99

"You have to allow yourself to not know"- Peter Ralston

I'm aware that doubting is occurring in the present moment.  Or, I sense doubting in the present moment. 

But even this language is all false.  All language is false.  Existential Truth is not conceptual.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

"I think, therefore I am" is one of the biggest myths and misunderstandings ever propagated.

For it is very possible to not think.  And when there is no thought, there is still existence.  So a better alternative would be, "I am, therefore I think."

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

9 hours ago, eputkonen said:

"I think, therefore I am" is one of the biggest myths and misunderstandings ever propagated.

For it is very possible to not think.  And when there is no thought, there is still existence.  So a better alternative would be, "I am, therefore I think."

We can only ever notice information our nervous system provides. Every thought is simply the nervous system acting on instinct and our minds noticing after the fact. No thought is yours, and all your influences are the outside world. Your nervous system simply react to everything else around it and does what it does.