NJM50

Thoughts on Music?

13 posts in this topic

What music do you guys listen to? I'm wondering if it is considered unconscious behaviour to self-actualisers... especially mainstream music.

Music is GREAT for this stuff!  Love it so so so much, music speaks to the soul. What do you like to listen to??

Nothing is unconscious only if you make it so.

There is music that inspires higher consciousness, and on the other hand, there is music that inspires lower consciousness.

You can listen to death metal while being highly conscious. But then, are you pulled towards that stuff when you are in a higher conscious place?

So see, inspiring something is not the same as it directly making it so. It is you who allows yourself to get caught up into that.

Whenever you get there, there's no there there.

Gertrude Stein

I'm listening a lot to new age lately. Especially Enigma.

Dare to give yourSelf for eternal love :x🙏💞❤️

I think music serves people in different ways, for me, music lift's and inspires my soul. For the record (see what I did there) I don't listen to Top 40 stuff nor any type of r&b, hip hop etc

At a complete loss as to how to post videos like the above (no Youtube button on the interface, no posting help anywhere, tried "[YouTube code123xyz]" with no dice], so eh doing it the old fashioned way:

Fields of The Nephilim: Elizium Suite

Music actually helps me be mindful of sounds in the present moment.  I think music has naturally made me mindful as I am a former jazz musician hobbyist.  One of the things you learn second nature playing jazz is how to listen to what's going on in the present moment so you can respond to it.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuition_(free_improvisation)

Edited by Joseph Maynor

• Detach from all impermanent things.  Rest as the unchanging Self.  Bask in the magic of reality.
  • Be the person who has seen too much to believe too much.  Don't get caught up in the trappings of culture, the trappings of beliefs.
  • Nature needs to save you from culture.  You probably currently believe that culture needs to save you from nature.  That's backwards.

I listen to music all the time. Mostly these days, the album Every Red Heart Shines Towards the Red Sun. 

I amn’t one to spend a lot of time contemplating consciousness tho. One who does that might wish to simplify their practice by removing such distractors. But any distraction could be considered as a test.

Me mostly I practice mindfulness in my actions , all my actions. I do not care for “high conscious trips,” personally I respect that pursuit but it matters not to me.  I care to live my life in its duality and do so with meaning. To always find a way to be more present with it.... I am not sure if I am explaining it well....  In one way, the opposite of consciousness work, in another way - exactly the same.

So, I can’t speak for the more common trend you poll here, regarding if music is low conscious. IMO if music is low conscious so is everything. What is the point of the criticism? If you are concerned that music is keeping you trapped in illusion, then stop listening. Or maybe meditate on your music and try to find yourself there, to understand the nature of the trap. Otherwise I see no reason to make a fuss of it. 

@NJM50

Music can be an amazing tool. Life is an emotional game and I've found almost nothing pulls on my emotions more than music.

And sure, there's a lot of low vibration music out there I don't resonate with anymore. But there's also a ton of high vibration music that's positive and uplifting.

Some things I've been vibing lately:

Rock

Hip-Hip

EDM

You should also google the Solfeggio scale. I've been experimenting with it and so far it seems legit.

My name is Austin Kourakin. Life Coach with a passion for personal development.

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeimIF08Jl8OPJ6JVzmYudQ

While I'm probably entierly wrong I'd say that music is what kept me open to a lot of the weirder parts of personal development. 

There's this quality in music where it can just be really nonsensical and still connect to you really emotional level. (for example Close to the Edge by Yes)

Some music really teached me about perspectives by sounding terrible the first time around but then I could find myself dancing around in my room to it just loving it (the Trout Mask Replica album by Captain Beefheart)

Playing music also keeps me a bit humble because it's a super pragmatic thing where it's obvious when you have actually practised well or when you've just been halfassing stuff. 

Another really cool feature of music in general is that you can overthink and question it so hard it all just sounds really weird (why did they decide that this guy should beat on a drum here? Aren't vocal harmonies completly arbitary and this is just two people making differently pitched sound at the same time? etc) until everything sounds kind of bad. Then you just listen to it without thinking too much about it and it sounds like music again.

In general I just think there's this amazing weirdness that can exist in music that is one of the most beautiful things I know. Some other bands/musicians I like is King Crimson (Neal and Jack and Me is such a masterpiece of a song), Ben Levin, XTC (River of Orcids, wow), Devin Townsend etc

Also been getting into some of that older experiental stuff like Schoenberg and Stockhausen lately.

You may like this - has some recommendations of mine, will be expanding further