Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
egoless

Techniques and questions to find the LP

12 posts in this topic

Guys after very long search I still struggle to define the LP. I wanted to buy Leo's LP course but right now I am student and short on money as well as time. I fully realize that it’s a great course and I am going to buy it as soon as I am finished with my studies. I feel very unmotivated and left without the goal other then self inquiry and meditation. I need to find my practical LP. I need strong vision to get up in the morning, to eat healthy and become the best version of myself. I feel that if I won't change something right NOW my life will deteriorate with no return. Recommend me questions or techniques you know which may help me to peel the surface layers to connect with my true Life Purpose!

Edited by egoless

When we are kids most of the time we behave in the most authentic way, we do those things which really define us, intuitively, in a natural, spontaneous way. We lack the futile thoughts, the "obstacles".

Can you remember how you were when you were little? What you liked to do most of the time? How were you behaving? Your authenticity have the answers to your lp. Most parents, unfortunately, don't know how to guide their kids, they "teach" them, they don't observe them and try to enhance and mantain their authenticity, which is why we become later so distant from ourselves.

I don't really think it works that way to find your life purpose at least in terms of career if you want a career for your life purpose just get really really good at what you chose I don't recommend expecting to get immediately passion once you have found what you think is your life purpose at least that is if you go with the research in so good they can't ignore you by cal newport 

he argues that those with the passion mindset (if you believe in a pre existing passion and all you have to do is find it then you will be happy) vs craftman mindset(getting really good at what you do is what give true satisfaction/passion) will end up less happy sometimes even create anxiety 

He gives some examples in the book that even people who are really good at what they do had anxiety about what their life purpose would be before they got really good but they didn't have it once they got really good(they got more confident that it was their life purpose the better they where)

i recomend reading the book for more details :) 

if you go with the craftman mindset a good way to start is just go with something you find interesting and something you think could have a positive impact on the world, you work with people you like and then get really really good at it(or so good they can't ignore you)

Edited by BjarkeT

2 hours ago, student said:

When we are kids most of the time we behave in the most authentic way, we do those things which really define us, intuitively, in a natural, spontaneous way. We lack the futile thoughts, the "obstacles".

Can you remember how you were when you were little? What you liked to do most of the time? How were you behaving? Your authenticity have the answers to your lp. Most parents, unfortunately, don't know how to guide their kids, they "teach" them, they don't observe them and try to enhance and mantain their authenticity, which is why we become later so distant from ourselves.

Very nice insight! But as you have said I am so distant from my authentic self that I don't even remember anymore. I was always interested in the nature and existence and the Truth. That was always my main inquiry even when I was very little kid.

34 minutes ago, BjarkeT said:

I don't really think it works that way to find your life purpose at least in terms of career if you want a career for your life purpose just get really really good at what you chose I don't recommend expecting to get immediately passion once you have found what you think is your life purpose at least that is if you go with the research in so good they can't ignore you by cal newport 

he argues that those with the passion mindset (if you believe in a pre existing passion and all you have to do is find it then you will be happy) vs craftman mindset(getting really good at what you do is what give true satisfaction/passion) will end up less happy sometimes even create anxiety 

He gives some examples in the book that even people who are really good at what they do had anxiety about what their life purpose would be before they got really good but they didn't have it once they got really good(they got more confident that it was their life purpose the better they where)

i recomend reading the book for more details :) 

if you go with the craftman mindset a good way to start is just go with something you find interesting and something you think could have a positive impact on the world, you work with people you like and then get really really good at it(or so good they can't ignore you)

Thanks for suggestion. I have not read that book fully but I know it. But the thing is for example Leo is proponent of finding your LP first and then becoming good at it. The thing is the career (finance) I am in right now does not resonate with me. I don't find it interesting and fulfilling. So I doubt even If I master it will change much.

You could always look for something else that may be interesting :) there should also be a lot of free places you can learn from(self education) so it shouldn't be a problem to get started (at least on a basic level) no matter what you are looking for :) 

but I don't recommend expecting to getting fulfillment before getting good at what you do (similar situation as the passion mindset)

(but the other things i mentioned before like you think its meaning full what you do etc. should be important requirements if it should be your life purpose)

if you are interested in truth and nature you could look up fields that goes in that direction maybe some could be science, biology etc.

https://www.degreequery.com/top-10-green-careers-nature-lovers/

Edited by BjarkeT

@egoless " I was always interested in the nature and existence and the Truth. "

That, in my opinion, is a big clue of your lp. You're interested in the knowledge of the world, maybe you have a specific domain, you need to dig more. Desire for truth, knowledge, life. Search for another clues? For example, how do you feel in nature? Of course, all of us feel very pure, but some people find something more special there. Look for these clues, very "little" clues. Your lp has much to do with yourself. You can not be that unconscious if you put these kind of questions, so you actually have a "chance" of finding it more easily. Continue everyday to try to remember, to observe yourself, what gives you "special" feelings, pure feelings, a feeling that differentiates from others. Then suddenly, after some time, you will know what to do. Everything will come in its right place, and you will know. But you must have a sincere desire to find it, it is a part of yourself after all, it is yourself. That's why a true lp grows one spiritually also.

@student the thing is I was always knowledge seeker. I was always interested in the big picture knowledge not just specialities. My main issues come from social anxiety and fear of publicity and public speaking. I would love to revolve my LP around sharing my useful knowledge with people but I am lack people skills. It’s hard for me to communicate precisely what I want to share with others. However I think that I have lots to share with people.

Maybe you could do it through books you don't really have to interact with any one if you don't want to and you can still share great knowlegde 

usually getting good at ones life purpose doesn't require to interact with people as to getting good comes from working on your craft (example if it's being a writer the skills you need to write a good book) so i would say that life purpose and people skills are two different things 

in case you haven't watched them i hope these can be useful maybe it would be a good idea to get a coach where you can talk about what's preventing you and find a good solution

Edited by BjarkeT

@egoless "My main issues come from social anxiety and fear of publicity and public speaking."

Yes, it seems like our deepest fears, our deepest anxieties align themselves when we want to pursue what is actually important, what is actually a purpose, what is defining us. It is the same with me, and it is the same with everyone. Like I said, life purpose has much to do with yourself, it's not a simple lp, it also grows yourself, and if you don't want to, it forces you, because otherwise you can't pursue it. 

Finding it is the easiest thing, then you have to build a good relationship with it.

Edited by student

What work would you do, that would be solving your life’s biggest problem, that would also enable you to help others similar to you too?

Now, this is just a pointer.  You gotta do Leo’s Course to really get at your life Purpose.  There is no substitute for that course.  It takes you through a lot of hoops to find your life purpose in a very deep way.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

If you're dissatisfied with your studies, I also recommend taking the course now, not waiting with the purchase until you're finished. If you need to make a switch - the sooner you start, the better. Also, once you get your first job it will be even more difficult to give up that newly earned status and go look for something else. 

For some career tips you could go to https://80000hours.org/ , but they don't get you to introspect into your personal values and passions as Leo does. 

8 hours ago, Elisabeth said:

If you're dissatisfied with your studies, I also recommend taking the course now, not waiting with the purchase until you're finished. If you need to make a switch - the sooner you start, the better. Also, once you get your first job it will be even more difficult to give up that newly earned status and go look for something else. 

For some career tips you could go to https://80000hours.org/ , but they don't get you to introspect into your personal values and passions as Leo does. 

Thank you!