DustOfEarth

should video games be my passion in life?

15 posts in this topic

I decided that pursuing the creation of amazing video games was my true passion in life. however, Leo himself said one time that video games are a low consciousness waste of your time, hindering your actualization efforts

should I just dump this idea of making my own games for good? Any insights would be wonderful, thanks!

btw, I am a newbie to the forums, so hello everybody! :D

@DustOfEarth

Glad you're joining us!

I'd say playing video games can be a symptom of lower consciousness. People use it as a way to numb and distract themselves from their own lives.

But at the same time, you could turn the creation of video games into an art form. It could be your life purpose.

Why do you want to pursue creating video games?

I strongly believe some games are so incredible that it is high conscious. Ever seen, heard and experienced Blood Borne?

@aurum

Hi, thanks for the response man

In answer to your question at the very end, I would say there was this one "moment" when I was young when I played this certain video game, that amazed me with it's emotion and excellence, and ever since then i was just simply....  inspired to take video games to the next level... you know you see the next assassins creed and the new call of duty that adds nothing new and does not seem inspired or to have a "soul", but this one particular game just made me see the amazing potential the gaming industry had to really move people, and that there was SO MUCH left to do with games that hasn't been done before... I would also say that i always wanted to express my creative soul ever since i was young, so creative autonomy was critical for me

again, thanks for the reply and warm welcome!

@star ark

hi there,

yes, I've also thought that game might have the potential for high consciousness, but i am not sure how far that can be taken. games like shadow of the colossus and journey come to my mind. And yes, I actually own bloodbourne, although it seems too much the same as demon or dark souls series, it is great all the same.

I dunno, there just seems to be something about games i cannot explain that inspire me, although certainly not ALL games do that for me

but to me, gaming doesn't exactly transform or impact people in any dramatic, positive way, it can sometimes have the opposite effect in fact, so i'm not too sure what to think lol

thanks for the reply!

You shouldn't really rely on others people opinions as a referral for what you have to do. Everyone here can say "don't do it" or "do it" and that still wouldn't be a good measure point for actually making a decision. I strongly suggest you to do Leo's Life Purpose Course and find it out for yourself. 

@DustOfEarth
Whether an activity is high or low conscious is not up to the activity itself but to the way you do it. What are you trying to accomplish with the action and how aware you are when doing it? how important is your health to you, whether physical or mental? How good or bad is it for your health?

@Psyche_92

perhaps you're right that i may in fact be "clinging" onto the opinions of others too strongly, very interesting

perhaps i should use what i like to call my "higher intuition" to form a decision? or maybe not, dunno

thanks for the reply!

@LaucherJunge

I suppose if I create video games that push all the low consciousness buttons, such as with violent imagery, then obviously that is not ideal

I sometimes think you can just "feel" what things are higher consciousness and what isn't, so maybe i need to simply trust in that more

I think that the solution for me is to create high quality games that will move and impact people in a positive way, something profound like that

interesting, and thanks!

Sure you can pursue video games but there are a billion times better things out there. You will get the same things multiplied elsewhere.

Edited by YaNanNallari

We all love to hear good news about our unhealthy habits.  Myself included.  Be cautious.  

@YaNanNallari

I've always kinda wondered in the corner of my mind if there was something greater i could be doing with my life, I struggled with this question for some time, i'll need to do some self introspection and such

@DustOfEarth With more and more personal development that excitement and passion you have towards video games will also be found in other things that are also "more beneficial". 

Since you've probably played video games a lot you might have a comfortable and confident zone there. That can be translated into other fields as well. This just used to be the case for me.

@DustOfEarth  I used to be a gamer and love video games a lot, but I don't play them anymore and you should consider the impact videogames have on people. They are lower consciousness. People use it as a way to numb and distract themselves from their own lives and they are highly addictive and usually take a lot of time.

Today is a lot of Indie games and they are definitely more art soul related, but I think there is more ways how to express your creativity.

Balance is the key word I think. Video games as part of a balanced lifestyle, I can’t see a problem. Are your finances in order, your relationships, your physical and mental health? Everything has the potential to become a dangerous vice - its the intention and attention we bring to these things. For example - drinking a glass of wine - a well selected, flavoursome addition to a lovingly created meal? Or the first step into dulling the senses, getting drunk and achieving a low consciousness state? 

Video games - a way of exploring the marvels of modern technology and artistry, to have fun and connect with people? Or a way to again, numb the senses, to vent frustration, to distract yourself from real life problems?

Only you can decide. But I feel if you make health your number one priority, everything else will naturally fall into place, including your vocation and hobbies in a healthy and holistic way :)