DocHoliday

The concept of time and how it works

53 posts in this topic

I think you meant slower, right? When there's less information to "digest" and process, just as in sleep, time goes by faster, doesn't it?
Regarding the mere subjectivity of the same time span, this is where it gets interesting if we connect it (the subjectivity) to the degree of temporary ego or the amount of applied thought, because that's why I made the exemplified connection to "the state of flow", wherein time is losing all of its relevance. It would also be pretty interesting to hear from someone who has experience with psychadelic substances because you generally hear that trips can last for a considerable amount of hours, even up to a full day and whatnot - so I'd be curious to know how time is perceived during a strong trip or if it is even perceived at all anymore, just like in an intense "state of flow".

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

I tend to do a lot more 'being' in the now when immersed in a 'shroom trip or some similar substance. Very much in that-flow-state. Looking at a clock seems funny, useless, unimportant, the numbers seem irrelevent. Holee, the sun's coming up, what a night, what a beautiful sunrise, (tears of awe) WEEEeeeeeee!!! 

Time as an appearance eh? I hadn't really included time in there consciously either. Crazy cool. That whole 'appearance' thing is effective. Might have to re-watch the video where Leo talks about it, it got me going then I got distracted from the contemplation.

@Faceless Fragmentation of what? The ego, or the self? This would have to mean that when full integration, contrary to fragmentation, has taken place time would no longer be a manifestation?! I mean sure, when you completely re-integrate into absolute nothingness after death, then time most certainly isn't an issue any longer (seems like there's a pun), but as long as we aren't dead "physically", time does remain relevant and "important" to some degree.

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

@DocHoliday

???

These words absolute nothingness words are used a lot on this forum huh. 

Anyway, thought is the root of fragmentation. Thought is a movement and so time is a movement. What I have been in the past, how I am now in the present, and what I want to be in the future. Thought, the me, and fragmentation are the same movement, which is part of time. This is a movement of psychological time. 

This movement of time serves as a function. But psychologically this movement has no place, and in fact is the root of conflict. 

@Faceless Yeah, that's another way to put it...but, it's not inehrently "the movement of thought" that generates conflict,
as you describe it, but it's simply the identifiation with thought,
it's the ego that's responsible for any kind of agitation or arising of conflict because it can't handle what it is up against.
If I was to insult you really badly in a language that is foreign to you, you wouldn't exactly feel offended,
but if I was to say to you in english that you're a stupid worthless piece of shit that nobody cares for...
and if I really meant what I just said, then you'd probably take it more seriously and would consequently feel offended and insulted by the meaning attached to these words and the conflict this creates with your self-image.
(just to be sure, I didn't actually intend to insult you or anybody else who reads this, I just wanted to use it as support for the point I was making^_^

@DocHoliday

The movement of thought transferred over to the psychologically realm or is the root of conflict. And where does this ego or self come derive continuity? Thought/fragmentation right? This sense of “I” that identifies with various sensations, thoughts, feelings is the result of fragmentation of thought itself. It’s not my or your ego. Ego is in of itself is an image constituted by multiple fragmented images which is attributed and given continuity by the movement of thought within the psychological realm. Time as a function is carried over to the pyche. That’s where this conflict such as “becoming” leads to conflict.  

And its ok I don’t get offended my friend. 

??

@Faceless Now that you've explained your point more clearly it is definetly more understandable.xD Sounds totally legit now.

@DocHoliday

Lol yeah ..I try not to explain in to much detail. I like to give a little and have another investigate into it for themselves lol. It’s nice to share with others. Most people don’t care so it’s nice to communicate with others on this forum that do like you. 

Thanks for reply friend ?

@Faceless Thanks, I appreciate it. Just as my ex-gf asked me "But if we break up, don't you then love me anymore?", and I answered "How could I ever help myself to do anything other than loving you?", the reply to this one goes along the same lines: "How could I ever not care?";) 

Oh okay, I get how you want to portray it. Makes sense, it really does. 

Yes, that would align with my assumption of how the degree and amount of applied thought creates time. 

@DocHoliday with my experience of time passing differently I think if you think of it as a spectrum it's like at either ends of the spectrum which is either too muck information procces or too little time seems to just stop but in the middle with just the perfect amount of information process time goes by very fast like in the flow state. And aside from the mind there is also a biological factor at play. If your heart beats faster time goes slower and an example of it would be kids; kids experience way longer days than adults and I hear it a lot that old people always say as soon as I hit 40 I don't even remember how time passed. It's like until 30 it's one half and then from 30 to the day you die is like the other half in how you experience it.

@sarapr I idn't inherently think of time behaving in this spectrum-like manner, but I think that example depicts it quite well. Also that biological factor of experiencing time is quite interesting. Unfortunetaly I can't compare or contrast that statement, since I'm far away from turning 30, but it's an interesting thing to keep in the back of one's mind once the time has come.