h inandout

What language should I learn next and why?

24 posts in this topic

I already speak English, y domino el Español también.

Even if you think you speak a language fluently, realize that language creates reality literally so, there is still a whole domain of mastery within just one language both written and spoken ;)

It is not about how many languages one speaks but how well one can use them to express one's self in relation to others and circumstances. 

I'm from Spain originally btw ✌ ? 

Dutch, because I think that's going to be the language I learn. I hear The Netherlands is such a great place and planning to go there. Reading the biography of Vincent Van Gogh (who's Dutch) at the moment and the similarities between us are comforting as well as astounding. I also aspire to be just like Wim Hof (MIND OVER MATTER). Already feel like I have an affinity with the Dutch... So learn Dutch.  

Hi @h inandout . I'm italian, and I think italian language has a beautiful sound. It might be interesting to learn some language that is very different from what you know already, like chinese or hindi. I found out that knowing two languages empowered my thinking a lot. I often think or journal in two languages simultaneously. Also, I like to study the languages I already know by studying the etymology of words. Latin or ancient Greek are very related to that purpose, even thought they are not spoken.

Where do you plan to visit? To live? Only you can decide what would be best for you.

My viewpoint is you should learn at least 

A latin language

An anglo-saxon language

A slavic language 

An asian language 

And then whatever exotic one you like by experience , you know spanish which is latin and english anglosaxon so you need a slavic one like russian etc or asian like japanese for example lol. Personally i know english italian french a bit of croatian and struggling learning Japanese. . . .

In my opinion learning a language is a waste of time unless:

• it's your life purpose
  • you're going to use that language frequently
  • it's necessary for other reasons

In my eyes a person has a limited amount of time in his life and the best use of that time is to experience growth in the most rewarding and fulfilling way. The time spent dabbling around learning languages one doesnt need I think would be much better spent pursuing a life purpose, raising consciousness or a million other more worthwhile things. I agree that learning languages may present some opportunity for growth but other activities I think are much more worthwhile.

I think learning languages for the sake of being proud that one knows a lot of languages is a distraction.

The weirdest language I ever tried to learn a little bit of is Turkish.  It is very different from both English and Spanish.  So different that you should experience it.  It will change the way you think about language.  The reason I learned some Turkish is because I did a 2 week stint in Istanbul Turkey and I wanted to be able to speak a little bit of the language.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

On 1/8/2018 at 11:35 AM, Vinnie said:

Dutch, because I think that's going to be the language I learn. I hear The Netherlands is such a great place and planning to go there. Reading the biography of Vincent Van Gogh (who's Dutch) at the moment and the similarities between us are comforting as well as astounding. I also aspire to be just like Wim Hof (MIND OVER MATTER). Already feel like I have an affinity with the Dutch... So learn Dutch.  

I also want learn dutch... I hope it's easy as English 

Maybe one that is going extinct, and then try to teach other students?

On 1/8/2018 at 4:35 AM, Vinnie said:

Haha...well don't move to the Netherlands to learn Dutch though. 95% of the population speaks English well and they won't let you speak Dutch. They will want to show you how well they speak English ?

I know, I am Dutch myself.

Seriously though, the best way to learn a language is to move there. 

It's not an easy language to learn. There are a lot of "exceptions" in the grammar. So you would need to live there to develop an intuitive feeling for it. 

Edited by SFRL

36 minutes ago, SuperLuigi said:

@SFRL Is it the same in Sweden with Swedish>? Norway with Norwegian? 

They usually speak English very well also. 

As far as the language goes, idk I don't speak it. 

But I have seen Danish and Swedes talk in the same language with each other. They told me they speak the same language just different dialects. 

I am not completely sure but I believe in those Scandinavian countries Denmark, Sweden, Norway's, and Iceland they all speak the same language but different dialects. Which is pretty cool actually. 

There are still a lot of Scandinavian influences in the dialect of Northern England like around New Castle as well. Because that's where the Vikings invaded England. 

It's interesting how language got around troughout time and left it's influences. Especially in the local dialects. 

Edited by SFRL

If you just want to have another (artificial) language under your belt, then Toki Pona. ;) It has 120 official words, so it forces you to articulate concepts in simple words. It's interesting to think in Toki Pona but it's not practical otherwise.

mi wile e ni: sina kama sona e toki pona. :D

Spirituality is any movement towards the Unnamable. Everything is spiritual.

The only true way out Resistance is going into it because any way out of it is staying in it.

The purest life possible is surrendering to the Absolute.

@SFRL Thanks for the info! Very interesting... I'm not sure how you could learn those languages though... as you said, everyone would just start to talk with you in English :/

Learn programming language!

:-P

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Mandarin Chinese is another one I spent about 6 months learning before I did my big vacation in Beijing China in 2016.  It’s a tonal language that is very different from other languages.  Also the grammar is very different.  It will blow your mind to learn it.  It’s amazing to see the different systems humans have created to communicate the same thoughts.

Edited by Joseph Maynor