Joseph Maynor

Are You Aware of How Often You Are Identifying With the Voice?

19 posts in this topic

Yesterday I dropped 7 tabs of LSD and tripped all day long.  One thing I realized is how much we identify with the Voice rather than just seeing the Voice as just another part of reality that you can be aware of.  But the Ego likes to say -- that's me!  No, that's not you.  That's an illusion.  That becomes very clear when you trip on LSD.  The Voice is just part of the cornucopia of sounds that you experience.  I think what causes a lot of neurosis is when that Voice is identified as "me".  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

2 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Yesterday I dropped 7 tabs of LSD and tripped all day long.  One thing I realized is how much we identify with the Voice rather than just seeing the Voice as just another part of reality that you can be aware of.  But the Ego likes to say -- that's me!  No, that's not you.  That's an illusion.  That becomes very clear when you trip on LSD.

How many mg is 7 tabs?

Yo!  This can make you feel schizophrenic as hell though, which the Ego hates.  The Ego wants to feel like it's in control.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Clings to safety, security. Thats the function of thought 

Edited by Faceless

Yes, I am aware. Do I feel like that lately? Not so much. :) Something cool happens when you start to notice more and more things around you. All the lights reflecting of surfaces, all the feelings in the body. There's so much stuff going on that thoughts naturally get silent and the issue of identifying with voice fades away. In my opinion, the bigger thinker you are, the bigger a trap of identifying with voice becomes. I know it was the case for most of my life.

59 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

when that Voice is identified as "me"

Well, the voice is another phenomenal appearance that can be a self-misidentification?  The thing about an 'ego' is that it is nothing but a belief in that self identity. As such, can that which is being believed in, actually be that which is 'believing' in it?  It's surely very curious, however it works ;)

Somewhat of a synchronicity, this just popped up on my youtube feed, regarding the Ayahuasca 'voice'  ... "a very interesting tangent-at-depth emerged during the conversation between her and I --- hearing voices! In particular, hearing the voice of ayahuasca in your head as though it were an entity of external agency and intelligence, during and after the ceremony."

Disidentification with thoughts is easy. A little bit harder is to disidentify with emotions and even harder is to disidentify with beliefs.

2 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

I realized is how much we identify with the Voice rather than just seeing the Voice as just another part of reality that you can be aware of.  

What is this "you"?

5 minutes ago, AleksM said:

Disidentification with thoughts is easy. A little bit harder is to disidentify with emotions and even harder is to disidentify with beliefs.

Don't you see them as one?

@cirkussmile

I see it like that:

thoughts = mental sounds, can disappear in 1 second

emotions = no mental sounds. If emotions are active, emotions need more time to disappear.

beliefs = no mental sounds. Beliefs can only disappear if awarness is applied multiple times (at different time periods) when a belief activates the muscles of the body.

2 minutes ago, AleksM said:

@cirkussmile

I see it like that:

thoughts = mental sounds, can disappear in 1 second

emotions = no mental sounds. If emotions are active, emotions need more time to disappear.

beliefs = no mental sounds. Beliefs can only disappear if awarness is applied multiple times (at different time periods) when a belief activates the muscles of the body.

What would happen if the "I" thought never appeared again. Then emotions or beliefs wouldn't be a problem?

One insight I had when on LSD is: Stories are self-surviving systems that will perpetuate their existence, and they will cause the Voice to seem to confirm them.  

Background:

I used to be religious.  I thought I was communicating with God a lot.  I would hear a voice and attribute that as God's voice.  I would even share back and forth conversation with God.  Now I realize this was deeply illusory and that I was basically just perpetuating a story and generating this voice.  But . . . 

Insights:

(1) But when I was on LSD I realized that this is just me labeling a sound as God's voice and nothing more.  All I was doing was conceiving about a sound -- spinning and perpetuating a story about sounds, in this case "the voice".

(2) Our expectations, habits, and beliefs are causing the voice to behave in certain ways.  And then we use that voice to perpetuate the expectations, habits, and beliefs.  So this becomes like a trap where a story is fighting to keep itself alive -- like a self-surviving Egoic system.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

6 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

One insight I had when on LSD is

I used to be religious.  I thought I was communicating with God a lot.  I would hear a voice and attribute that as God's voice.  I would even share back and forth conversation with God.  Now I realize this was deeply illusory and that I was basically just perpetuating a story and generating this voice.  But . . . 

But when I was on LSD I realized that this is just me labeling a sound as God's voice and nothing more.  

Does this make sense?  All I was doing was conceiving about a sound -- spinning and perpetuating a story about sounds, in this case "the voice".

Our expectations, habits, and beliefs are causing the voice do behave in certain ways.  And then we use that voice to perpetuate the expectations, habits, and beliefs.  So this becomes like a trap where a story is fighting to keep itself alive -- like a self-surviving Egoic system.

This is very interesting that you caught it. I've also experienced the similar. The main question here is if the absolute inifnity aka god has the "personality" to itself. In my experience it has and it does not have at the same time. This personality is not similar to what we are used to in human dimension. But universe surely has it's own ways of communication with it's finite versions. 

"The Voice" thinks it's on American Idol....and our mind is it's stage....where is that dam buzzer? Oh yea....

“A person who thinks all the time has nothing to think about except thoughts. So he loses touch with Reality, and lives in a world of illusion.”

— Alan Watts

5 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Yesterday I dropped 7 tabs of LSD and tripped all day long.  One thing I realized is how much we identify with the Voice rather than just seeing the Voice as just another part of reality that you can be aware of.  But the Ego likes to say -- that's me!  No, that's not you.  That's an illusion.  That becomes very clear when you trip on LSD.  The Voice is just part of the cornucopia of sounds that you experience.  I think what causes a lot of neurosis is when that Voice is identified as "me".  

What do you mean, voice? I thought you experience voices in your head only if you have some mental issue? 

Do you mean the silent voice of thought that can used for practical matters - like me thinking what to write here or is it something more vocal you guys are experiencing. It's just like using your voice or writing, just a function and it stops once you stop using it. Ofcourse i do not identify with it., but I do identify it as mine. 

When I am having troubles with my ego it is mostly just my mind repeating in images and in remembering events from the past that were painful.

When something really cathartic happened in my life recently, i had an opportunity to test my progress and was able to escape from the constant loop of the mind repeating the bad events and making me more depressed which triggered more remembering and so on. 

Perhaps it's because my ego cant decide whether to speak in English or in Bulgarian to sound more "Me";) ?

I am, however still identified with The body. 

When I think: "I this I that I whatever" the I usually refers to the body.  It's just the maya I live in ;(

Edited by Dodo

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

1 hour ago, cirkussmile said:

What would happen if the "I" thought never appeared again. Then emotions or beliefs wouldn't be a problem?

Hmmmm. Well. . . the other day my gf told me she is going out to dinner with an ex bf as friends. I experienced strong problematic emotions before thoughts of "I" came into play

@Serotoninluv  Yes, aside from the 'I' thought, I've found that at the core of these emotions are deeply entrenched beliefs, which are like learned, inherited 'thoughts', usually very early in life, that have become so much a subliminal part of the conditioning that they are hidden from normal waking awareness.  It takes some deep inquiry to bring those beliefs into awareness, so that they can be examined and dispelled. With that, the emotional patterns associated with those beliefs can also be discharged. Of course, those beliefs do tend to also revolve around and stem from the 'I' thought.

Edited by snowleopard