Leo Gura

Discussion: The End Of Reputation & Rank?

264 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2018 at 11:35 PM, Leo Gura said:

Okay, rank and reputation has been disabled.

Let's try this out for a week and see how things go. The option to re-enable always exists.

NOOOOO LEOOOOO!!!!! Why did you do this!? 

I haven't been on the forum for a while, and I just discovered this, but IMO reputation, or likes or however you wanna call it, was a really useful tool, it helped me more than once to spot really high quality comments (or as you would call them: golden nuggets) that I wouldn't have otherwise read.

Do you think people really identified with their ranks?? Cause I couldn't care less, I don't even remember what mine was... but please, consider taking reputation back, maybe not as "reputation" which feeds a certain user rank. Ranks are indeed kind of useless, but please give us an option to say, "Hey, this is a really valuable contribution". Thanks!

@Leo Gura I really hope you read this...

Edit: maybe even without the option of seeing who liked it.

Edited by Mondsee

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel

Maybe enable post reputation, sort of like on Quora. If that's possible. They don't allow you to sort answers by their popularity, but show the amount of views and likes. 

On 27/01/2018 at 8:08 AM, Mondsee said:

I haven't been on the forum for a while, and I just discovered this, but IMO reputation, or likes or however you wanna call it, was a really useful tool, it helped me more than once to spot really high quality comments (or as you would call them: golden nuggets) that I wouldn't have otherwise read.

I've seen quite a few posts here saying this. Yes, I agree that rep points do help a lot in certain ways. However, if you are looking for very nuanced info, this may not help at all.

Way better now.

It was really useless to start with.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I didnt read all, but I have to say that it bad that i cant like posts or show to the good people who answered that i agree, i have to quoute or to answer to them and that is unpractical and also makes the post unnecessery bigger and less practical for other users to read ( we get bigger topics but one like or agree button could change that) also the agree or like must not be visible for other people, it enought that I know it and the person who wrote the answer... maybe there can be more buttons, like, dont like, agree, totaly disagree or whatever people suggested, Leo you choose at the end... peace ;)

I was wondering why there was no like button, been wanting to use one. 
looks like I was late to the party, doh! 

I resonate with the idea of a like button and only the user having the ability to see the count. But that's just what I would like, I see no harm in an ego boost every now and then. 

btw, is there a way to change my "newbie" rank? just wondering... others have nothing but hyphens ---- 

19 minutes ago, Salcedoop said:

btw, is there a way to change my "newbie" rank? just wondering... others have nothing but hyphens ---- 

Just continue posting and it will change soon! 

:-)

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

On 12/03/2018 at 0:19 PM, Dino D said:

I didnt read all, but I have to say that it bad that i cant like posts or show to the good people who answered that i agree, i have to quoute or to answer to them and that is unpractical and also makes the post unnecessery bigger and less practical for other users to read ( we get bigger topics but one like or agree button could change that) also the agree or like must not be visible for other people, it enought that I know it and the person who wrote the answer... maybe there can be more buttons, like, dont like, agree, totaly disagree or whatever people suggested, Leo you choose at the end... peace ;)

I like your post

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

Hey @Leo Gura,

When will you go all the way and supress the post count too ? :) 

God is love

And God in them

2 hours ago, Shin said:

Hey @Leo Gura,

When will you go all the way and supress the post count too ? :) 

Why?  I think the 'number of posts' variable can be (but isn't always) actually telling or demonstrative of how much work people are putting into Personal Development.  It's a useful and good variable to know; namely, "That dude posted a bunch of stuff, he's really into this work and has done a lot of it."  You wanna strip everybody down to their underwear but the fact remains that we're not all equal on here.  Some of us work way harder than others do on this stuff, and why not let people know that?  I have more posts than Leo does on here!  I've worked my ass off on this, and you want to make me appear to be equal to some noob?  Fine by me, but I think that does the Forum a disservice.  The fact is we're not all equal on here.  And your Stage Green attempt at forced equality just hurts the Forum because it tries to blind the facts on the ground, the reality on the ground.  We're not all equal on here: We span a spectrum from total noob to the insanely advanced.  And you will not be able to conceal that by stripping everything out, all you do is make the information harder to learn by people who aren't active on here a lot.  I think people should have some sense of who they're dealing with on here, because not everybody has the time to stay on here long enough to figure that out, which they do figure out anyway if they're active on here for any length of time.  So, although I think you mean well, I do not think your proposal helps the Forum, I think it helps conceal facts which restricts information that the occasional visitor to this Forum, not the regulars, may want to know.  Experience and demonstrated work matter.  People should know the following: (1) what they're dealing with, (2) what they're walking into, (3) and who they're dealing with.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

12 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Why?  I think it's telling regarding how much work people are putting into this.  

Because it's the same thing as reputation points ---> People thinking you are more important/experienced because you have a higher "count" than them/other.

Except in this case it's even worse, because you just need to post a lot.

@Joseph Maynor 

I hope you're joking xD

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them

6 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Give us reasons to support your conclusory statement.  Try to come up with at least 5 reasons in support.  Then we can discuss those reasons.

The fact that you cling to it that much is enough of a reason  :D :D :D 

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them

Just now, Outer said:

Yes, I don't really want it either. I bet Leo doesn't want it either. Those multiple digit thousand numbers look really good and especially after you reach a new number.

I Don't really care that much anymore, but I Don't want people to judge the quality of a post because of a number attached to the op.

It doesn't mean anything except that the op is either old on the board/post a lot or both.

Either case it doesn't mean the posts of the op are more meaningful than others.

Not only that but it doesn't mean the op knows what he's talking about, nor that it means he's more "Advanced" either, that's total bullshit xD 

God is love

And God in them

Or remove post count and introduce a reformed rep point system.

Someone needs to make a poll about this :ph34r:

Spirituality is any movement towards the Unnamable. Everything is spiritual.

The only true way out Resistance is going into it because any way out of it is staying in it.

The purest life possible is surrendering to the Absolute.

10 minutes ago, Torkys said:

Or remove post count and introduce a reformed rep point system.

Someone needs to make a poll about this :ph34r:

This is a decision for Leo alone.  Your guy's Stage Green values are not gonna resolve this issue.  That's the problem with Stage Green.  Pure Democracy has obvious limitations.  Nobody but Leo can make this decision, and to not see that is kinda naive in my opinion.  This is Leo's Forum; that needs to fully percolate through to you, no matter what your Thoughts may want.  Without Leo's leadership, this Forum would be nada, it would not exist!  One man is responsible for this Forum, as much as your inclination towards Democracy and collectivism might want to obscure.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

4 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

This is a decision for Leo alone.  You're guy's Stage Green values are not gonna resolve this issue.  That's the problem with Stage Green.  Pure Democracy has obvious limitations.  Nobody but Leo can make this decision, and to not see that is kinda naive in my view.  This is Leo's Forum; that needs to fully percolate through, no matter what your Thoughts may want.  

So no we're going from a definite no to a "it's up to Leo to decide".

Those digits are too sexy to let them go aren't they ? ???

God is love

And God in them

@Shin soon 4k posts arent you getting exited?

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

4 minutes ago, NoSelfSelf said:

@Shin soon 4k posts arent you getting exited?

4 minutes ago, NoSelfSelf said:

@Shin 

I'm more excited to fart than that.

Like seriously ?

No but seriously Leo:

4f58a3ec54a259aadc757d52b8031d94.jpg

God is love

And God in them