Leo Gura

Discussion: The End Of Reputation & Rank?

264 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura I haven't read all of the responses to the topic so I'm sorry if this was suggested before.

How about you remove all of the reputation and thumbs up, but instead give something like "thank you" button, which would work as following:

- Any user can click it but it has no appearant impact, nobody would see how many or if any people "thanked" someone for their post

- User whos post got "thank you" will see it in notifications but nowhere else

What's the goal of that function? Person who would see their post has been helpful to someone else will be motivated to help others in the future again and put effort in their posts, but there will be no more ranks and other reputation to motivate spammers :) 

End of reputation/rank: sure ok has its merits, appreciated. Didn’t bother me. 

End of the method to give give a simple notice of appreciation, or find feedback on whether or not a post meant something even if it died off? I miss that, was a good way to learn and find inspiration from others. 

I have already started seeing postive impact of removed reputation on my own behaviour. Please keep it removed. I have noticed that now I am more egalitarian and put much more attention to what others write.

@alyra If someone really has helped you, then you can write a post showing your gratitude. And it wasn't that big of a help to write a post about it, then there's also no need to possibly build up someone's ego with reputation points.

The points can also be a distraction for newbies and give unhealthy authority for older users.

I've just realized today this thread and this new idea. I found it very mature of Leo Gura, deciding to do so.

Yes, there might be some helpful impacts of thumbs up button; but really what's more corrupting the mind than caring the rankings&status in a society. I find this type of application liberating and really much more helpful to deconstruct the ego related desires.

See, it's very interesting. I didn't get the chance to read all the ideas given here, but this is like a mini test to see how addicted we are to those dopamine release based social manipulations:) and how difficult it really is to actively change and do things where we are use to execute it in one format:)

Edited by Sevi

@Girzo i honestly don't understand al this "building up ego" talk at all. sorry but that reasoning sounds rather pointless to put weight to lol ! we work towards self actualization on these forums. "reputation" aka "upvote" aka "like notification" is a way of communicating shared appreciation of our lingual symbols that try to represent our journey. what is the point in having a forum if we restrict such things for fear of ego? 

ego WILL happen in ALL of us no matter what we run away from. I thought it was important to be aware of what we fear, and cease the habbit of running from it? 

it just makes no sense. so frustrating to talk about it 'cause I am sure someone else will come along going "oh but alyra you say this in ego" lmao. so what if I do, and who said i did? I say this just 'cause. 

@alyra I am speaking from my own experience. I was becoming anxious and trying to maintain 1:1 ratio at least. That's pure neurosis. I feel better off without reputation. There's no reason to sustain this feedback loop of gratification and fire neurons responsible for neurotic behaviours everytime you post. Some people can bear with it without a problem, for me it was a distraction.

i was oon a forum for three years before i came here and i was FULL of neurosis. over time I overcame it. 

I admit that there could've been a few crutches that could've helped me not be so anxious all the time about posting etc. but, without facing my weaknesses, I could not have become strong. 

it is said that awareness alone is curative. there is no need to remove alcohol from existence in order for there to be people who don't abuse the substance. the same could be said for notifications. 

i feel the better approach would've been to rework the system. removing it is only letting the darkness win, ironic. 

It was good idea to remove it, i can see positive changes

we should have less ego-rewarding system in society, why don't we just smile to people or make gifts? This can be better rewards than many other things

also, why Leo you don't make separate sub-forums for Science; New-Age staff; Religion, Mysticism and Theology? For example, after meditating for 8 hours and feeling that I can't do it any longer - I like to create big picture of reality in my mind, so I read or discuss theories of how consciousness relates to Bible, Quran, Kabbala or to quantum physics or to out-of-body experiences but I noticed that it would be great distraction to do it in meditation sub-forum. But if there can be separate sub-forum for people who want some distraction (or u can call it theoretical discussion) why not to make it? It will keep meditation sub-forum cleaner and more practice-oriented, so people who dont want to read anything other than direct experience will not distract themselves with topics about parallel realities or difference of Buddhist traditions by scrolling through meditation section. 

Edited by Monkey-man

I am new here and would like the "Thumbs Up on individual posts".

That would let me see what the people here focus on and would be a way to see if eachothers company/exchange would be of benefit.

@Mighty Mouse well yeah. wtf kinda sense is it to remove things just 'cause it's feared? are you afraid of the job interview, and so don't even bother to go? are you afraid of rejection, and so don't even bother to ask the girl on the date? clearly we should just erradicat jobs. and girls. or boys, I like that option better :P the way to learn how to discard ego is to not run away from it. to face it head on and learn how to not fall victim to the fear of it. as long as we try to remove things that make us weak, instead of learn to be strong in the face of it... we are just playing the victim card. 

do you know where the ultimate destinatin of people who play the victim card is? either hospital or streets. or both. or death, but well that's all our final destinations so that doesn't mean much really. own up to who you are and face what you can't handle. or own up to who you are and do what you are strong at well enough that it inherently makes up for your weaknesses. those are the two best tools of the book, of discarding this "ego" and transcending past it. running away? that is useless. a crutch at best. I admit sometimes a crutch has use. but don't sew it to your body as if it is a limb. pick it up and try to put it down again when you can. push your limits. 

@Mighty Mouse but wait - your hand is up :o

oh hehe i get it duh. you now see that fear = challenge to confront :D

Edited by alyra

nope i said it wuite planely i want it back so i can get a notification when someone understands that i said something meaningful so that i can get outside assistence in my growth in an efficeint way. as far as i understand it, this forum is to enable growth from a source beyond the limits of our ego, is it not? when we make the egos imposible to arise, we make what is beyond it that much harder to transit just the same. 

On 17/01/2018 at 9:12 PM, Soulbass said:

keep it removed.

+1 Outbass

Reason: I agree, there is no need for reputation at this time. If people want to give a post plus rep. They should do it the way I have done here. It is basically the same thing as giving a thumbs up, but it takes more effort.

We shouldn't have reputation but buttons such as

"agreee" "respectfully disagree" "funny" 'thank you" could be massively useful without boosting the ego needlessly.