Leo Gura

Discussion: The End Of Reputation & Rank?

264 posts in this topic

I'm loving this new system personally, just as I expected, defintely a step in the right direction! If you leave because of a change like this, then it is painfully obvious that you are not fit for this forum and only care about your stupid ass rep points and not actually doing PD or helping others in it. Sorry to anyone who feels like this, but it is the truth I feel :P

I have a simple solution.

If you agree with someones post, or believe what they have said is of significant positive value.

You can simply express it by quoting them and saying you liked what they said, and why it resonates you etc.

Look. I will do an example.

If you liked or disliked this post and tell me why. Here is the basic template

[+1 or -1.](Plus 1 represent you liked the post. Minus one you disliked the post)

[Insert reason for liking and disliking.]

See, it is not that hard. We can all then use this to identify what people are agreeing with and what people are disagreeing with.

Simple. Not Rocketscience.

Edited by Lorcan

1 hour ago, Outer said:

Leo played 7-dimensional (7D) chess by having this reputation point system for everyone to use, just so he could take it away as a lesson for no purpose but itself. I don't want to rationalize now that it's gone.

My own opinion is I am a bit excited and schadenfreude on all the reputationseekers. I feel good that they dislike this change as I feel better myself about it as now I am elevated. Of course this is just B.S but I won't lie and say that I see it that way.

+1 Outer

Reason:

I liked what you said Outer. I did not understand what you meant by saying Leo is playing seven dimensional chess or with the statement "as a lesson for no purpose but itself." What is "Itself" here? I am confused.

I did feel that there were some reputation seekers on this forum. Those with higher ranks and likes on their posts really stood out, making it really hard for new members voices to be heard in discussion.

Edited by Lorcan

On 1/10/2018 at 4:13 PM, Leo Gura said:

That's what's called Group Think. And the whole point was to kill it off.

I want people thinking more for themselves. Yes, that takes more effort and time.

Let's see how things go. It can take some time to get used to a change like this. And I understand not everyone will like it. And some of you have some legit reasons. As with everything, there are tough trade-offs such decisions.

Here's a thought, and I don't know if it's possible or not given the forum's feature set. 

Is it possible to enable the upvote functionality but keep the count private? Thereby removing the Group Think but maintaining the connection aspect of it. 

@Leo Gura you're picking at straws. ego is going to be here, as it is everywhere. even if you removed all profiles it would still remain, the one who posts and the posts she has not written. . . the posts she has written in the past even tho nothing shows others it was her, she is proud of them or shamed...

why do you take on this burden of others to your own sake? you give us plenty of insight nudges to teach us how to stop depending on ego to survive. that is enough, you are removing tools that are used for good because you hate that they are used for evil. but I thought there was no good nor evil? you fight a war as if you are the only soldier who matters. what an ego xD

Bring it back I say.

To be honest I found the rep system to be a pretty decent indicator of post quality most of the time.

I don't want to spend much of my time on internet forums so I don't have any desires to sift through dozens of post to find a good one. I'll probably just end up judging what's worth reading by how familiar the poster is to me, which is much worse than how individual posts ranked.

Also, how am I supposed to get my social validation now? Don't get that rush anymore.

5 hours ago, Light Lover said:

I'm loving this new system personally, just as I expected, defintely a step in the right direction! If you leave because of a change like this, then it is painfully obvious that you are not fit for this forum and only care about your stupid ass rep points and not actually doing PD or helping others in it. Sorry to anyone who feels like this, but it is the truth I feel :P

I agree.  I feel less "dirty" participating on here how.  Before I could tell that Ego was much more involved.  Now I am just one among peers.  I don't like the whole social media life.  But I do like this Forum, and I have grown so much from my participation on here.  It's good to be humble in this work, it really is.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I prefer the rep system removed for a few reasons:

Rep creates a dopamine spike much like a social media addiction

It causes favoritism among certain users 

People seem to be communicating more now

Hopefully it will make conversations for newer members more comfortable for them without feeling like they need to appease an artificial pecking order

It reduces group think and taking sides

Ect, ect.

On 1/10/2018 at 8:38 AM, Shin said:

We could remove the post count too, I can't seem to understand its usefulness.

Yes.  And the number of views as well.  Get rid of both of those too Leo if you really want to clean house.

Leo still has a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the Actualized reality.

Leo has a dream that one day this forum will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all posters are created equal."

18 hours ago, Outer said:

Not to offend you, but you barely use the forum. I base that on the amount of posts you've done. Maybe we should remove the post count as well if I self-reflect. Fuck fake competence when it comes to this.

Avatar and username is enough to separate between users, let us judge upon their words.

I'm not sure why you highlighted my usage, but to that point I'm all for removing the counts. I made another post advocating for quality over quantity. I believe the upvote button helps remove unnecessary "I agree" posts. Keeping the rep counts private (on both user level and post level) removes the group think while maintaining feelings of connectedness. 

@blazed Hahaha. That was fun. You'll have to imagine that I pressed it. Sorry doesn't get better than that..

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

1 hour ago, hundreth said:

I'm not sure why you highlighted my usage, but to that point I'm all for removing the counts. I made another post advocating for quality over quantity. I believe the upvote button helps remove unnecessary "I agree" posts. Keeping the rep counts private (on both user level and post level) removes the group think while maintaining feelings of connectedness. 

Let's remove EVERYTHING and see what's left. Being. Lol..

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

28 minutes ago, blazed said:

This is what spiritual work is about, we keep deconstructing ourselves like peeling an onion to only realise there is nothing! all the layers of the onion is what makes the onion, underneath it all we are nothing.

At that point the ego says "nope, nope, nope", and starts putting it all back together lol.

PS. thanks for the like, i really appreciate it, it means a lot to me.

I really don't agree with this idea that the forum should be some kind of metaphor for spirituality or enlightenment. If you want to keep deconstructing the forum and approaching nothing just shut the whole thing down lol

On 1/3/2018 at 3:09 AM, Leo Gura said:

Yea or nay?

A bit late, but I agree... good idea!

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

I hate that the reputation is gone. I see the negative side of a reputation system, but I relied a lot on the positive to distinguish between users, posts, do research etc. Especially when I just browse through stuff or see what develops in what way. What are ppl liking right now, what are the trends, what are ppl disliking etc (I'm a computer scientist).

I think, @Leo Gura, that you don't solve the problem by getting rid of the technology (the symptom), I think the ppl that are high-consciousness enough will use it correctly an the ones that aren't, gonna find a new way to get addicted.

So yeah, please turn it off. It stinks.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

I personally didn't mind the spidermonkey and astral ape stuff, I thought it was hilarious. 

Memento Mori

Come on. Are we still going at this? This thread has become a distraction of its own.

Edited by SFRL

3 hours ago, Azrael said:

I hate that the reputation is gone. I see the negative side of a reputation system, but I relied a lot on the positive to distinguish between users, posts, do research etc. Especially when I just browse through stuff or see what develops in what way. What are ppl liking right now, what are the trends, what are ppl disliking etc (I'm a computer scientist).

I think, @Leo Gura, that you don't solve the problem by getting rid of the technology (the symptom), I think the ppl that are high-consciousness enough will use it correctly an the ones that aren't, gonna find a new way to get addicted.

So yeah, please turn it off. It stinks.

agree. it was a lot more efficient before