Leo Gura

Discussion: The End Of Reputation & Rank?

264 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2018 at 6:26 PM, Koyaanisqatsi said:

In my opinion, all ranking and achievements promote the ego. I have no need for points, titles, etc. as I find my ego liking these things too much. Liking and ranking promotes group think. Having many likes or posts (or none) does not mean anything. Who would care if someone 'likes' something I said, or if I like what they said? Certainly not my/our true self...

Having said that, it is my responsibility and focus to detach from outcomes and let go of desires regardless of circumstance. This is not the only place in the world that promotes my ego. I'm ok with whatever happens. :) 

I dont think the promote the ego, because when I'm surfing the web or forums I act like a mind reading information, not as a self.

The dangers of the points and thumbs is that they are dopamine triggers, that's why they are addictive and make you look the forum often, and when you see 4 likes and 2 quotes you become stupidly satisfied.

24 minutes ago, Moreira said:

I dont think the promote the ego, because when I'm surfing the web or forums I act like a mind reading information, not as a self.

The dangers of the points and thumbs is that they are dopamine triggers, that's why they are addictive and make you look the forum often, and when you see 4 likes and 2 quotes you become stupidly satisfied.

I agree.  There's a little dopamine hit that comes with giving and receiving a thumbs up.  That's the thing that I think needs to go.  It's not a reliable indicator beyond popularity anyway.   I've stopped givings thumbs up because of this reason.  I don't want to be addicted to being "affirmed" on the Forum -- and I don't want to be addicted to "affirming" on the Forum.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

What's the issue with some dopamine now and then? Why create a mindset that natural life is 'bad' and merely experiencing it a 'wrong' act?

Oh no, better not actually live life or you will be doomed, doomed I say! DoooOOOOOOOOOOOooooomed!

ratings are not very important for me

I would occsaionally use them as a tool to "filter through" many different responses

I probably wouldn't miss the ratings if they were gone

Test it out dude ... experimentation can only lead to improvement and i think that it is a step in the right direction

but your word is law almighty astral ape @Leo Gura

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

@Leo Gura Can you add an option to leave posts on our profile page? Sometimes i would like to share things with people without having to create a topic or at times it does not fit in any category or just wanting to write and share with the people that follow you. This is also a good idea because sometimes you want to share something that is very deep and can be misunderstood by others but unlikely to be misunderstood by your followers.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

Okay, rank and reputation has been disabled.

Let's try this out for a week and see how things go. The option to re-enable always exists.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Well without reps I officially have no idea what to think or who to respect. What am I supposed to do now? Judge merit based on content?  The only thing that's been actualized is this dystopian nightmare. 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Let's try this out for a week and see how things go. The option to re-enable always exists.

Thank you.  I feel better already.  Now the focus is on the work not on the social stuff as much.  The social stuff is the biggest distraction.  If you want a friend, get a dog haha.   Ah, that's brutal.   Thanks for getting rid of the thumbs-up feature.  That was distracting as hell.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I also agree that thumbs up should stay at least for individual posts. Reasons were stated by others before me. I would have thumbed them up if I could and you would know my standpoint without me having to write this paragraph.

--

There is another option which I havent seen discussed, which would be a win win for everyone. 

There could be an option to enable you seeing the reps on individual posts or remove them based on your personal preferences. It was said about Adblock, which is a solution as well, but it is an external solution. On this forum we look for the solutions within ?

Also, it would be fun if this is implemented to have an indicator whether someone has the reps activated and who deactivated them. 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

In terms of spiritual development, I would guess that 9 out of 10 posts on this forum are not worth the time reading.  The best you could say about these, is that they dilute the message.  Unfortunately, they also hide valuable content - needle-in-the-haystack problem.

@Leo Gura by taking out the only qualitative metric for content (yet leaving the quantitative one in place), you are forcing everyone  to sort through the myriad of "low-consciousness" posts in order to maybe find that golden nugget.  I for one don't have the available time for this, and I suspect many forum members who have a life to attend to, would be in a similar situation.

@Leo Gura as you watch the quality of posts go down from here, this may be a good time for you to reflect on the same stubborn egoic problem that has plagued all spirituality teachers since the dawn of time.  After all, it's more than just a coincidence that you've decided on this course of action just a few days after reading @TJ Reeves' post:
"Notice that my upvotes per post on this forum is the highest out of anyone with more than 100 posts - even Leo himself. That's not a coincidence."

Many thanks to all in this community, for sharing both the good and hard times.  Good luck, and take care.  - Jose

2 hours ago, jse said:

In terms of spiritual development, I would guess that 9 out of 10 posts on this forum are not worth the time reading.  The best you could say about these, is that they dilute the message.  Unfortunately, they also hide valuable content - needle-in-the-haystack problem.

@Leo Gura by taking out the only qualitative metric for content (yet leaving the quantitative one in place), you are forcing everyone  to sort through the myriad of "low-consciousness" posts in order to maybe find that golden nugget.  I for one don't have the available time for this, and I suspect many forum members who have a life to attend to, would be in a similar situation.

@Leo Gura as you watch the quality of posts go down from here, this may be a good time for you to reflect on the same stubborn egoic problem that has plagued all spirituality teachers since the dawn of time.  After all, it's more than just a coincidence that you've decided on this course of action just a few days after reading @TJ Reeves' post:
"Notice that my upvotes per post on this forum is the highest out of anyone with more than 100 posts - even Leo himself. That's not a coincidence."

Many thanks to all in this community, for sharing both the good and hard times.  Good luck, and take care.  - Jose

You are too wise for these forums anyway >.< Reading many of your posts alone felt like a glimpse of the divine again. You helped me remember what life is really about. I couldn't even see myself using modern technology in general with that level of wisdom you express i don't even know how you manage to do it in the first place and your humor is a perfect example of source expression.

Seeds of truth will sprout one way or another as the subconscious mind picks up everything. All the best brother. I'll see you on the flipside :)

B R E A T H E

@Leo Gura

I don't like it at all for the reasons I already mentioned here:

It's a big waste of time, to read all the threads from the first post to the last one and fill myself with the uninformed opinions from newbies, I want to quickly scan the page to identify any great insights, identify the insights from highly reputable members and to see if there is a productive discussion.

I had a great idea, It is a very simple and yet revolutionary if you contemplate a bit about it.

Rename the UPVOTE to THANK YOU. This Will put things into perspective.

1 hour ago, AleksM said:

@Leo Gura

I don't like it at all for the reasons I already mentioned here:

It's a big waste of time, to read all the threads from the first post to the last one and fill myself with the uninformed opinions from newbies, I want to quickly scan the page to identify any great insights, identify the insights from highly reputable members and to see if there is a productive discussion.

I had a great idea, It is a very simple and yet revolutionary if you contemplate a bit about it.

If you watch Leo's video The Deep Problem Of Marketing, one could see some of the logic of this decision. Great insights don't come to you on a silver platter or spoon, you have to go out of you way to find them. And I don't think reputation has way too much to do with quality of a post + I suspect a lot of the reason why trolls troll is to get that dopamin hit of reputation points now and then, just a guess.

Edited by Edvard

I have another "pro rep points" argument. 

From time to time I would get an odd rep point from a really old post, which would let me remember about it and revisit it in the present to refresh my memory on the matter.

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

2 hours ago, Edvard said:

If you watch Leo's video The Deep Problem Of Marketing, one could see some of the logic of this decision. Great insights don't come to you on a silver platter or spoon, you have to go out of you way to find them. And I don't think reputation has way too much to do with quality of a post + I suspect a lot of the reason why trolls troll is to get that dopamin hit of reputation points now and then, just a guess.

Even if that's the case, it will make our job easier. The deletion of people's overall reputation doesn't bother me but I miss the thumbs up for individual posts/topics. If @Leo Gura decides to bring it back, he should add a way to see how many rep points a certain topic has from the sub-forum page itself. This could make it easier to spot quality posts.

Other than that, I have a suggestion to resolve the "but rep points don't show quality" issue: find the common reasons people upvote certain posts/topics (because they agree, think it's insightful or funny...) and have separate buttons for these. With this, you can enforce the values of this forum because anything that can't be rewarded with these buttons and therefore won't get much attention. But with this, joke and non-insightful threads (Enlightenment Jokes, Enlightenment One-Liners, Share With Us Your Art, etc.) will die and the forum will get hyper-serious. So even this option has its pros and cons and self-defeating from a certain perspective. #MuchNonDual. And of course, a huge downside of this system is that it doesn't have a way to deal with old reputation points but this can be solved by just showing how many reputations did the topic/post get in the old system.

Great idea, still, people can show gratitude for a multitude of reasons.

Any idea of x posts/ y time period it total utter bs because it's abusable. In the worst case scenario, people will create mass mega-threads and they will discuss multiple issues is a single post by editing a single post over and over again. And if you ban these mass mega-threads and editing, you have the chance to make kiddos confused for y amount of time because you didn't explain it well enough. In either case - a flawed idea. (This is my fourth time editing this post. How ironic.)

Also, it would be awesome if we/certain people/moderators decided this issue with a poll.

Edited by Torkys

Spirituality is any movement towards the Unnamable. Everything is spiritual.

The only true way out Resistance is going into it because any way out of it is staying in it.

The purest life possible is surrendering to the Absolute.

I've already noticed that I am more likely to leave a comment such as 

"Good job!" 

as a way to give praise now that the like system has been removed

now that the like system has been removed...there may be a rise in useless praise comments

on the other hand...

Now I am more motivated to say something useful

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

@AleksM I'm not sure if re-naming the same feature would result in different emotional investment/reaction. The implied message is always "I like what you communicated there - here, have this {symbol of approval}". I wonder if a less serious {symbol of approval} would differ in emotional investment (altough probably not)...like a Banana for example. Collecting Bananas to  rise in the hierarchy of apes. The ultimate chimpery lol. But then it's atleast more obvious that the "ego" side of this feature is not to be taken this serious, without losing the useful aspects of it.

So far my initial impression is that I like it, but I have learned as of late my initial impressions are wrong about 50 percent of the time.

The kingdom of heaven is within.

This is a great implementation and i think it will remove a lot of posts people make just in order to get some kind of acknowledgement, and leave room for posts that people make without thinking about gathering points.

Removing the point system removes a pointless distraction the mind has an easy way of getting addicted to. I see a lot of resistance to this change here based on an assumption that high points being some sort of automatic sign of quality. This is a very limited view in my opinion, a lot of high point posts i've seen have been horrible. A consensus is not an automatic sign of quality, just look at how our world works. 

Edited by AxelK