Leo Gura

Discussion: The End Of Reputation & Rank?

264 posts in this topic

Just a thought...So you say we should not be able to vote? Dicatorship.org B| 

Edited by art

How about a five-star rating system instead of just likes? Or it could be something more creative than stars, you guys can deffinitely come up with something :D Maybe then the troll posts would get both high and low ratings and would be just avarage. And the valuable ones could really shine. After a sufficient number of recieved ratings (let's say 100) the average amount of stars? would appear at the user's name as a sign of credibility. But I think the total number of recieved ratings should not be visible, maybe not even for the actual user.

This system could be much more flexible than just neverending adding up of upvotes. To keep it even more up-to-date, the total rating could count only votes for the latest year for example, so it would't get stuck after recieveing more and more ratings. If working well it would motivate people enough to post valuable posts but also not get them too hyped-up. And it would also allow them to get a second chance (like for trolls who actually start to self-actualized...rare cases though :D).

I would deffinitely get rid of the chimp and ape titles.

The total number of user's posts should remain accessible, but maybe only on the profile pages.

@art Pretty sure that's already taken.

I bought my christmas tree from some russian commies this year.  Nice folks.

It's all the same in my eyes, it's all good.

One can learn from either side. Both pros and cons. We're all a small family anyway regardless of conflicts they always exist in this constant maya mind on earth on forum off forum.

It's more like what story you choose to entertain whether a thumbs up or down or simply let it be.

Imo 2 years ago when i visited forum, I didn't sign up right away i felt inferior. I magnified this forum as in everyone's self actualizing got their shit together etc. Overtime i eventually signed up months later I still felt inferior barely any posts barely any points. (Obvious low self esteem issues, Although i don't think most people have that extent of overly exaggerated self esteem issues.) I did give it attention, My knowledge back then wasn't that great either didn't really read any of the books on book lists nor the life purpose course. Overtime i was growing still am. I noticed that these points did help in spotting an illusion that i had to work on it was subtle, but hey i didn't mind it anymore. I partake in it sometimes when i read any thread even if a member doesn't really contribute much i up them anyway because they'd just participated/spent some time on it. I have a habit of lurking more than posting. Either way I see members that want it off they have different reasons, Some seem uncomfortable with it, Some see it as pointless want all to be equal etc. I think everyone has to perceive what they feel about something a simple teaching. Even though we're trying to be significant on choosing what's better? I think they both have valid points. Even if the community up votes a thread to 10 20 or even 50ish doesn't mean it's all right. After all you have a primal mind so learn to be both skeptic and trusty with it. This machine tool is quite tricky to handle and needs work as the perceiver some simple choice of removing points isn't going to dawn everyone to suddenly improve. They still have to be careful where they spend their time on and what they agree on. It's all good either way theirs growth in both. These points helped me, it may harm others or help them if their not careful. It's all about perspective. I say bring them on and off every year how about that alternating? Haha would probably confuse the next year new people what on earth is this new point system, Can you imagine participating in a forum for like 4-6months and they turn this new feature out of the blue, They'd react with confusion at first and probably annoyance since their not used to it see the room on growth for that over not really overly reacting to it? The art of accepting what is being is quite tricky. Anyway that doesn't mean we shouldn't do. Alright sorry for the textwall I know you asked for yeay or nay. So here you go. Both.

@Leo Gura

I am pro keeping things the same.

I understand your concern about social proof and its ability to manipulate people's perception. But it has a purpose.

We are not all equal, some people are more of an expert than others. And I like knowing who is and who isn't perceived that way because it gives me a context to evaluate what they're saying.

@see_on_see

I can always form a judgment. But the rep count still helps.

Look, I seek out experts in everything I do. If I'm looking to earn more money, I'm looking for the guy with a mansion and a Rolls-Royce. If it's enlightenment, I want the guy who has meditated 20,000 hours and has a bunch of students that have made it as well.

It doesn't mean everything they say is true. I might discard even the majority of it.

But I'm not so naive to think I know everything or that we have the same level of understanding.

In fact, one of the biggest obstacles to learning is that you usually have tons of preconceived opinions on what is true, fed to you by people who didn't know what they were talking about. And the mentor / expert has to get rid of all of those.

So yes, if I came to this forum as a new guy I'd 1000% be looking for the top-rated posters. It helps massively.

13 hours ago, see_on_see said:

I think it's a great idea. I would remove rank, total rep and individual post rep, leaving only post counts.

I don't think post rep has ever been effective in separating the wheat from the chaff. Often I see posts with tons of upvotes, then I read the actual post and I'm like "wut?". The problem is that the majority of users are inevitably self-actualization/nonduality newbies, and a lot of the time they will upvote whatever pushes their emotional buttons or validates their ignorance. And there's also the effect where the more a post has been upvoted the more it gets upvoted. So more often than not, the rep count is actually a false indicator. 

Moreover, how does it separate the wheat from the chaff anyway? You still have to read the whole thread. This is not a reddit-style board where the most upvoted posts go up the thread and the others fade out in the bottom. Imagine a 10 page thread, you still pretty much have to go through all the 10 pages, even with the rep counts. And again, even if in theory with the rep counts you could tell at a glance what's good and what's not, in practice it has the problems stated above. I wouldn't sell my own judgment to others. Besides, even without the rep, it more or less takes a second to look at a post and know intuitively if it's written by a newbie, a keyboard-jockey, a debater and so on. This stuff is usually quite predictable and easy to spot.

For me the best "rep indicator", which I actually always used subconsciously, has always been my own judgment (rather than the rep count, which is a judgment created by other users). By reading a user's posts over time, you get an idea of this user's level of development. Then when you see their username and avatar next to the post, you already have an idea of what the quality of the post will be. That's also the way I always used subconsciously to separate the wheat from the chaff at a glance. You quickly skim through a thread and see who posted what, and based on the "rep" YOU have assigned to that user in your mind by reading their posts over time, you know what's probably good and what's probably not. 

You have worded it perfectly. 

@Leo Gura  You may or may not remember me asking for this/ questioning this sometime ago...this is still my only experience with a forum, and the status tittle thing has always kind of rubbed me the wrong way....but mostly for myself...having a tittle that I have no say in, that I may not yet be fully deserving of yet...

From what you have said, I clearly see the pros and cons. The thumbs up can provide a feeling or acceptance (weather we actually need that)... I adore the idea of equality with everyone, at the same time, if you are saying that this equality would equate to having to wade through more irrelevant stuff...then, I would be less involved with the forum as a result (brain injury makes scrolling difficult)...and I may miss out on a lot of important and helpful information as a result :( 

Is there a way to find a middle ground? This idea seems a little in-integral to me, but... could everyone appear equal, yet behind the scenes, the posts are still filtered according to the existing system? How could we tone down the ego shit while still benefiting from the positive side of the current system?

Leo, I hope 2018 is the best year you've experienced so far! Sending kind thoughts that you find the best possible solution to this dilemma for all involved :) 

Don't get rid of them, hide them. Make them only known to that particular user.

Wow! Lots of opinions on this issue.

I've read them all and will take them all into consideration when making my decision. As of now I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger and killing the entire reputation and Thumbs Up system. We can give it a test run for a week, and if it really sucks, we should be able to go back to the old system ats any time without losing data.

Changing 8000+ usernames is not an option. Usernames must remain as they are. And it's important to be able to distinguish usernames for purposes of weeding out spammers and trolls. It's too hard to police randomly generated usernames.

Some of your other suggestions are also not technically feasible. While reality may be infinite, this forum software is anything but.

Daily posting limits are doable. We could set of limit of like 5-10 posts per day, to keep people from mentally-masturbating too much. It's a rather radical limitation. Not so sure about this one. Part of the problem would be that there won't be any clear indicator of how many posts you have left per day, and most newbies wouldn't even know there was a limit. It's very rare that forums has such strict posting limits, so it would be counter-intuitive and confuse most people. They would bitch and moan about not having enough posts. And ironically, that would only eat up more of their posts.

The "Featured" status is not dependent on reputation or likes, that is a tag which Mods must manually apply. So that isn't going away.

5-star ratings at the top of each thread are also an option.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

sale_left_yellow.png

Fire sale:  complete set of hardly-used 2500 reputation points.  Slight stain on just a few points, hardly noticeable.
No longer needed since losing mind after getting hit in head with a tomato.  Will throw in a slightly damaged human skull, only used once.

Lifetime warranty.  Collect at your convenience, bring your own bag.  Will consider pay-as-you-go plan, but non-duality currency not accepted.
Will also consider exchanging for set of size 43 inline skates.

The titles and points are good. So what. Keep it with no change. It’s perfect now. Also, the science, history, philosophy sub forum was great, that would be good to bring back. Thank you.

Edited by cly

Aspiring TJ Reeves challenges Mighty Leo for the "Most-Holistically-Developed-Dude-on-the-Forum"-Title, emphasizing his challenge by pointing to his superior reputation-to-post ratio, and Mighty Leo decides to remove the reputation feature once and for all? WTF xD 

I'm more conflicted the more I think about this.

For example I often give a thumbs up so people see that I read their response when I don't feel the need to write back.

It also gives me a sense that I might not be completely deluded with some of the things I write.

I also sometimes scroll through a page and look at reputation points that sticks out to see what's likely more worth the time to read. Lazy, yes. But who really reads every response all the time? :D

Edited by sgn

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

@Mighty Mouse Agree. It will probably be good for me if it dissappears. Definitely addictive.

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

@blazed Maybe we can get sound effects too for an extra ego boost like this:

LOL

Me: I'm new so I don't know how much say I have in this, but I find it a good idea. Let's do it! ^^

My ego: Nooooooooooooooo