Leo Gura

Discussion: The End Of Reputation & Rank?

264 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura My advice: 

- Remove ranks

- Remove reputation count

- Remove content count next to avatar

Butttt:

* Keep content count only on someones profile page, or add a "years of service" kinda thing so you can see how much someone has contributed (or is involved with) the forum. Imo this is less 'jugemental' than seeing ones reputation count combined with his total posts. 

* Allow reputation only for posts or replies, without adding to ones reputation count. I think it's still important to filter out quality posts or replies. In this way reputation only becomes relevant in the context of it's post or reply. 

Option 2:

- Keep reputation count, keep content count only visible on your profile page, not on the fast view or post/reply page. 

Edit: it's all relative anyway ;)

Edited by Vitamine Water

The art is to look without looking 

I dont know. I like the reputation system. Let people sort out their own ego's. 

I agree with @jse - keep reputation for posts, but remove the count next to the username. When I was anal about reputation, I was less chimpish about the reputation of any single post and more about the ratio of posts to reputation. 

Then again, keeping all of it may be useful, because it encourages us to go inward to examine why we care about status so much in the first place. The ranking system wouldn’t be a problem if we all went inward and examined our triggers.

Edited by jjer94

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

I find reputation points highly useful to quickly scan the page and find the most upvoted responses. Also, when I look at the reputation points of a certain user, that can be a quick sign for me that that user is posting more insightful posts.

People don't read anymore on the internet, they scan and rep points are a good way for us to scan quickly and then decide if we want to read or not.

I would keep the thumbs up button and reputation points under the user, but I would remove the thumbs up  notifications as they can be distracting and useless. Also, maybe disable the function for users to look up who gave reputation for a certain post (maybe only keep it for users to look up who gave reputation on their own posts only), but I still like transparency.

There is too much to read and so these rep points are useful to quickly scan the pages and users. Of course, that can be used to bias us, but I see more benefits than not. If we don't see certain metrics under the username and posts, then it's nearly impossible to locate the good, insightful users from the ones that are not, resulting in a lot of wasted time.

Also, it is a quick indicator of a useless debate between users taking place or a productive conversation. Also, usually, people who have at a quick glance a lot less rep points than their total number of posts, that's a good indicator that they're engaging in a lot of debating on forums and don't provide much value.

Maybe, create a sticky thread that outlines how to properly use that feature @Leo Gura, so people are more informed and less biased. Maybe remove total reps only for yourself as it's already obvious that you Will always have the highest reputation in your own community but keep the thumbs up button for your posts.

I don't find any use in the labels that are displayed under the username (lesser chimp, low ape... and the dots displayed under the labels), that's totally pointless in my opinion.

Another thing I would remove is the phrase edited that shows up under the posts. Maybe keep it until 48 hours pass and then disappear.

Edited by AleksM

@Leo Gura It is my opinion that you should remove the ranking system, it serves no utility if users already have an observable count of total reputation points. 

Whether you keep the profile records of total reputation points over time or not comes down to whether you want to maintain the current "social" hierarchy established on this forum. By keeping those records, you've created a forum where some people's opinions gain value not for their merit, but for the source of the opinion. Herd mentality is a powerful psychological trap. I think you should remove the record people have of total reputation points.

And then there's the issue of whether you should remove reputation points all together for individual posts, even if a cumulative record isn't being held. I believe that you should remove reputation points all together, as herd mentality will mean that opinions will be valued by their popularity rather than by their merit. The popular opinion is almost never the best one, even on this forum. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Definitely get rid of them... I find myself upvoting everyone, because I don’t want to offend anyone and it’s my way of saying ‘thanks, I appreciate the post’ Which is really unnecessary. I always wondered why they were there in the first place as it contradicts your teaching.  

Remove. I find myself guilty of judging others by reputation and trying to mantain good reputation to number of posts ratio.

The more you read, the more you remember who writes what, who's posts are interesting for you and who's not, so in the end you don't need that reputation system.

Yes @Leo Gura please remove all of it!!! It is a blight upon this forum! 3 points:

1: Without being offensive, (and in my opinion) the majority of people with huge reputation points really don't know what they are talking about in regards to their reputation which makes them them seem like some some of master when actually all they have done is written alot over time (mostly nothing of high quality) and this has racked up reputation points..., people will look at this person and think they are a master and they are most certainly not.

2: it makes the forum more like facebook/ and in my opinion is just totally pointless, we don't need it at all! It serves no purpose I can see no other purpose than to LITERALLY feed people's ego's, for example, one is purely motivated by these points, and to do so, will just post memes and stuff which they know will rack up the points, which is totally the opposite of what we want on this forum!! People are not motivated by actual helping or discussion, just these damn points!

3: There is no way to know what the reputation points have been given for, sometimes I see meme's and jokes getting like 30 rep points each, meaning that people who literally have just posted jokes about stuff may be listed as a 'great ape' just by posting stupid shit like that over and over again. Also @Girzo yes exactly! And as for people saying they can tell it's a 'quality' post when it has lots of rep points, if you call having memes about not jerking off for 90 days a 'quality' post due to it's high rep count, then there really isn't much to say about this broken system. (Again anyone or Leo if you are reading this, no offense intended, it is just how I feel and I am quite passionate about it and how I believe it severly cripples this site but making it a facebook clone, not a proper Personal Devleopment forum for people who actually want to do the work.) 4: It dosen't suit the site at all!

So my vote is for removing it all! I think if you did a free vote on the forum the majority would vote to remove it all honesty, maybe 60/40.

@nahtanoj Dude! How can you say that since your K/D ratio is almost in balance!?!?!?!

lolz

remove!

Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all of the barriers within yourself that you have built against it 

- A Course in Miracles

6 minutes ago, blazed said:

Want to fuck with the egos even more?

• Change everyone's user name into a random but unqiue number set.
  • No avator allowed.
  • No signature allowed.

Bet a lot of people would leave and never come back, it's hard when you can't stand out or build something.

Just like how all the buddhist monks need to shave their heads and wear the same clothes.

This is a good way to encourage freshness, as you dont hold grudges or judgements on anyone because you can't remember who they are xD

Yep, and ban people for "me and my story"-bullshit whining, just anonymous and present.

@Leo Gura  Can't say I feel strongly about it one way or the other. Probably a generational thing, but I rarely think to use the 'reputation' option. And I guess I find it difficult to imagine that anyone takes seriously a ranking system based on a hierarchy of sub-human primates. But who knows, maybe some do. However, I suppose some way of indicating to others that you resonate with their expression, is a good way to connect with like-minded individuals who you may be more inclined to focus on, and interact with. So as usual there are pros and cons to consider.

In any case, I feel it's a valuable milieu you're offering here, for individuals exploring spirituality/metaphysics to to come together and share their experiences and expressions, even if there is some egoic discord -- which seems to be almost inevitable -- and some rubbing each other the wrong way. However, that too is all part of the maturing process, as over time the rough edges do generally tend to get worn down by all that rubbing. Then again, having been a mod in other forums, I can see how it can be an exercise in frustration, given how long that process can take, and how resilient and locked-in the egoic mindset is, and how futile it all can seem. Yet overall, I remain optimistic that it will eventually serve its integral part in transcending that problematic, albeit stage-specific mindset. I for one am encouraged by how many young minds are here showing any interest at all, and deeply appreciate that you take the time and effort to make it possible.

Edited by snowleopard

3 hours ago, blazed said:

Leo the best thing you can do is limit a 1 POST per hour on these forums so people choose wisely what to say. 1 Thread opening per day too.

1 post per hour? Seriously? That is a bit extreme. Some of only go on this forum for 30 mins every few days and so and participate what we can then. What if we want to ask for advice instead of give advice when we are not qualified? 1 thread per day is a not a good idea. Nonetheless this forum has much distraction and some people who give out random advice when they shouldn't -- but this should be easy to avoid by taking full responsibility.

The idea's Leo has suggested should be at least tested. In favour of this for sure.

Yeah remove all of it even if it is for some time to see how it plays out.

Funny because I've been noticing this in myself as well as others while also contemplating whether it's a good idea. Though I do think there should be a way to really let the proper advice shine through, though this can also be an ego trap, I think that there are people who consistently post more quality content that SHOULD shine above the rest.

What do you think about making Upvotes/Reputation invisible and letting the highest-ranked comment of a thread (Minus the OP) to be highlighted one form or another? Granted like I said it could lead to another ego-trap but there needs to be a way to filter out the lower-conscious responses.

I think it's better to remove reputation and ranks. That really makes me feel like I'm in a society (which it shouldn't feel like in my opinion). And it also adds a hierarchical and social element to it which I think is unnecessary and is making things worse. Good content will always be spotted because it's normally noticeable by the title.