Leo Gura

Discussion: The End Of Reputation & Rank?

264 posts in this topic

Removing the upvote button etc eh? That's a good idea. I'll give you an upvote for that one.
Now upvote my desperate attempt at humor so I get my hit of approval >:(

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

there would be no way to tell which member is more reputable than another, or which thread is highly liked or respected. The biggest downside would that the best content, and the most trustworthy members, would be harder to spot.

It would be good that everybody would be respected more for what they say rather than their rank. But in saying this it helps when you receive advice from somebody who is of a higher rank opposed to lower rank. Another positive of the ranking system is that you do realise who the leaders are in the forum opposed to observers etc.

Yes, do it.

Popularity does not equal quality.

I like the idea that people have to read for themselves, without being distracted by reputation points (members and posts).

Edited by Soulbass

@Shiva you should indicate your spiral dynamic color "orange" ^^

Edited by Soulbass

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Changing usernames has been disabled for over a year. Username changes are definitely not allowed. (Way abused feature).

Of course you would say that, you're merely a Babbling Baboon :P

I'm not allowed to grow now :( ?

@Shiva Reading someone's post because of reputation is also wasting time, if the information ended not to be what you needed. The bias of popularity prevent you from being neutral when seeking out information, and shortcut your critical thinking.

Edited by Soulbass

Sounds like communism to me, I'm in, sign me up!

32 minutes ago, Jedd said:

It would be good that everybody would be respected more for what they say rather than their rank. But in saying this it helps when you receive advice from somebody who is of a higher rank opposed to lower rank. Another positive of the ranking system is that you do realise who the leaders are in the forum opposed to observers etc.

Just because someone is lower rank or new to the forum does not mean that they are not very successful or an all around great person in real life. 

That's the problem with rankings and reputation points. The person becomes is a depersonalized version of rank and reputation points. And people often fail to see beyond the Avatar on the forum, and don't consider who that person in real life is. 

It's like Facebook. The people with the best pictures, and the most posts, are often really not the people with the most interesting life's in real life. 

Make it a democratic vote and pin it to the top for next week :) 

Edited by Michael569
removed part of post due to duplicity with other comment

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Disable everything you mentioned, as well as post count. Screw thumbs up, it will motivate ego to get as much thumbs up as possible distorting the discussion. 

20 minutes ago, art said:

Sounds like communism to me, I'm in, sign me up!

Upvote, lol.

No I think it's a great idea. Remove all the stupid reputations!

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Part of the problem is that the forum fuels this. All online platforms do. It's just the nature of the beast. But for us it's particularly distracting

I feel like you're too fast to blame it on the forum.

Going to the supermarket you also have bad food options and one could say they favor you eating unhealthy, right ? Well that's most likely not the case.

The way one uses technology depends on his own midnfulness and this could be a cool reality check : oh wait i'm getting too sucked in in this whole reputation/like situation here let's take a step back. Why am I prone to that ?

It's an important feature to find amazing content fast and I believe it should be kept.

If one's ego is running wild it will just go and run wild somewhere else.

This downside is just simply  a pure win/win situation if you look at this as a opportunity to see how your ego "misbehaves".

Yay! been wondering when you are going to suggest this :P

B R E A T H E

Supreme leader Leo, I have a suggestion:

-In order to make the masses be more like and equal we should give them numbers instead of usernames

-their profil pictures should be of the only true sign of freedom; the actualized.org logo

-we should have a system where the Christians, Muslims, Jews and Sam Harrisonism are banned from coming with their nonsense!

-in order to make a effective and true communication we should hire a team who can do background check on everyone and modify the posts so it's crystal clear in the regime's int... err... for their own good and interest.

Just kidding.. I think it's a good idea, I'm tired of being a lesser chimp!! I want more pow.. more, equality and love.

Don't care much about my reputation or anyone else's. But that's just my perspective.

As a new member and someone who doesn't exactly know the core doctrine other than non-dualism I'd probably continue to find it useful to the extent of learning exactly what that is while I find the time to watch what seem to be some pretty insightful videos. 

What I've read by Leo I've enjoyed and agreed with I think but being a unique aspect of the oneness, I see some things from a different angle. 

That being the nature of uniqueness, I wouldn't ever be able to take on a guru except as another pointer to the moon, so to speak.  I hope that made sense, heh. 

Picturing it as a seasoned member I can totally see your logic here. 

44 minutes ago, SFRL said:

Just because someone is lower rank or new to the forum does not mean that they are not very successful or an all around great person in real life.

I simply said it helps when you get advice from somebody with a higher rank opposed to lower rank as I am lower rank and would consider comments to be more reliable from a reputable member by trend.

15 minutes ago, Jedd said:

I simply said it helps when you get advice from somebody with a higher rank opposed to lower rank as I am lower rank and would consider comments to be more reliable from a reputable member by trend.

I don't think the reputation system measures trend accurately. 

Rather it measures all time reputation count. 

I would ask for notifications for receiving reputation to not be a default setting. It can be distracting.

I would rather have reputation removed at least. Too much monkey stuff comes from it.