kieranperez

Technical Career Skills Worth Building?

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys so before I go forward I just want to start and make the disclaimer that I do have my Life Purpose. However, knowing that my Life Purpose is going to take many years to align with and I can't jump straight into it I feel this matter is really important in the short run.

So right now I pretty much have no real practical, well-paying, highly valuable career skills. I don't know coding, web design, marketing, don't have any business skills or intellect, etc. I didn't go to college but I'm 22 and I live here in the heart of San Francisco. So you can imagine the jobs there are here haha. Quite frankly, doing this low menial labor of just working in retail and stuff here in the Bay Area simply isn't doable in order to live here. If you know anything about living here in the SF Bay Area, you know what I'm talking about and I still have yet to move out. Almost as equally important, this menial shit and just being a cog in a machine is crippling my self-esteem because I have no value to the world in terms of practical services. 

So what are some career skills you guys think would be worth cultivating? I'm more than willing to learn and invest in books, courses, seminars, etc. 

For example:

• photoshop
  • programming
  • Web development

As always, thanks!

If you haven't already i recomend taking cal newport and scott h youngs top performer course it has very valuable information realted to career :) the only downside is that it isn't always open

alternative there is the books by cal newport, and deliberate pratice :) 

something of the things cal newport recommends(as i understood it) is stick with as close as possible to as few things as possible (for example instead of chosing between 3 different fields go with one) and then get really good at it :) 

there is always self education a lot of free online places to learn from :)

hope you can use it :) 

Edited by BjarkeT