Boss

How Do You Do The Things You Dont Wanna Do?

12 posts in this topic

How do you guys finish the stuff you dont want to do like homework/paperwork/studying/training/etc

I know its best to do things you love but sometimes you have to do stuff you dont care for.

What are some ways you get yourself to push through it?

I want to be honest with you. Mostly I don't do it. I know, I know...but for some reason, it worked out just fine until now :P

I convince myself that I want to do the stuff I need to do. I want it for my own good. Even the shitty stuff I want to do because I care about results and a better life. I have almost never done homework btw, and somehow I still made it through school. But training, how could you not wanna do this? It's amazing, very useful and every trainigsday makes you a little bit better.

My two tips: 

1. Mental game. Convince yourself you want to do it.
  2. Simply don't do it if it's of no use and only stupid shitwork, and see the magic happen

Try to imagine this with me. You need to do homework and write a paper today also you have a exam tomorrow.

So go get started...

I guess not right? You are not gonna do it when it's stated like that.

But cut it into small pieces and add time stamps to it and it looks a lot simpler. All of this in your head of course.

Like:

1: i stand up from my bed right now

2: grab my book and pen and notebook and put them on the desk and open them

3: quickly fill the questions

~this will take me about 15 minutes.

then it seems a lot more achievable.

This is how i did something like that today. Pretty funny that i stumble on to this question at the same time :D luck i guess

It is my view that the world would be a much happier place if we could just delegate the things we didn't want to do to people who do want to do them. Back to reality, if there's a tangible reward for doing it, I can motivate myself, but otherwise, I just try to cut it out of my life entirely. I cannot stress how amazing it feels to become more and more independent from just about anyone and anything.

So my advice to you probably won't be incredibly helpful, but I challenge you to question why you think you have to do certain things. Is it just herd mentality? Work out what bad thing you think will happen, then ask yourself, why is that bad? Is it because some else says it's bad? Then the flip side is to work out what you do want to achieve and work out how you can go about doing that.

Question everyone and everything...

I meditate and usually after that I somehow want to do it or end up doing it. It is weird but that is what happens.

16 hours ago, Boss said:

How do you guys finish the stuff you dont want to do like homework/paperwork/studying/training/etc

I know its best to do things you love but sometimes you have to do stuff you dont care for.

What are some ways you get yourself to push through it?

The key is to meditate, like @Dhana Choko said.

Right now I'm learning for an exam that is coming and made a hobbit: learning every day. So my day start like this: 5 min affirmation ("I learn every day for the exam") + 5 min visualization (I visualize how my life will be after i take that exam) + 20 min meditation (esential). After I do this routine, everything it's easy and quite fun.

Edited by Florian-

You only do something under two scenarios: 

1. You feel like doing it.
  2. You don't have a choice but to do it. 

So if there is something you don't feel like doing but you need to do it, I'd say formulate certain kinds of beliefs and be in certain kind of circumstances which don't leave you any choice but to do it. 

2 hours ago, Dhana Choko said:

I meditate and usually after that I somehow want to do it or end up doing it. It is weird but that is what happens.

Makes sense, as you change your vibrational attitude towards the task at hand.

@Boss You can also try to trick yourself:
If it's an task which takes i.e. 30 minutes or even longer until it's done I convince myself to just try it for about 5 or 10 minutes - if it still doesn't feel well I have the opportunity to stop the task then. After working on this task for 5 or 10 minutes it usually doesn't feel as worse as before so I finish the task almost always.

What helps me - I do such tasks for the discipline itself. Discipline is cool and useful, it makes your life more satisfying, and you start to respect yourself more. For me discipline means that you do something when your "wants" or "don't wants" are not considered by you. So, I kind of took discipline as a practice - each time I don't want to do something useful, I do it just to improve discipline as I would improve a useful skill.

I have two basic ideas, no idea how good they are in the big picture. The first one is from a long period of trial and error, the second one is something I've yet to test.

1. Have a disciplined schedule where things to do are put down, not only by order but also by the time at which you do them. It's hard to fool that system - you either do the things or you fail.

2. Investigate into the "struggling" to do something. Acknowledge that what you end up doing is precisely what you want to do. The struggle between you and low-consciousness forces is bullshit. The low-consciousness shit you do is what you want to do. As you acknowledge that, look into what the reasons behind doing what you do are. 

Prime yourself - with everything I do, I usually 'prime myself'. For example, I studied a Criminology, Law and Psychology degree, there were a few subjects that I absolutely hated, some were boring, some subjects were just too hard for me to understand. I always reminded myself why I am doing this degree, what it is going to do for me later on? How badly do I want to make my future the best it can be? how will I feel once I have finish studying and have my degree?

I then usually set short time limits with subjects I wasn't too interested in or didn't want to do. So 15-20mins suck it up and just do it. I take 5mins breaks in between to distract myself and take my mind away from study and then I am back to it again. 

Another tip, is when I couldn't be bothered reading a whole text book because I found the topic boring, I would skim through and make a few important dot points reading the introduction, sub titles in each paragraph and then the conclusion. This usually got me through enough to pass the exam and I didn't even have to read all the material I was given.