ahmad ibdah

Is logic absolute?

24 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Shiva said:

If we begin to question our notion of the concept "apple" it will ultimately collapse because it has no ground

Yes.

If you have one apple, and the other apple is a bit smaller. So it is only 0.91365473647 apple.
Perhaps we should compare them on the level of atoms. Lets first define how many atoms exactly are 1 apple then?
But an apple has more atoms than there are stars in the night sky...

And that is only the first layer you could pull down. 

of course, we generally agree that an apple is a whole apple, skin intact. Unless you are a company making apple sauce, then too many small apples would not be good.

Logic has a purpose, it is a tool of the mind. It is a common language between people.

@Leo Gura  Humans can create things that can be absolute in their mind, can't they?
I mean if we define 2 + 2 = 4, this becomes absolute for everyone who agrees with it.

2 hours ago, Edvard said:

Except I didn't put God as a requirement of no free will. 

Just to make it clear: do you believe the self exists? Do you believe you exist? What do you think of when I say «dissolving the ego». And what do you then think is left?

The individual self exists only in relation to everything else. That is not to say it doesn't exist.

When you say "dissolving the ego" I think you are trying too hard. The "I" is an illusory tool, not something to dismiss. 

I do find it fascinating talking with people that think we aren't real but the illusion is existing separately, not existing period.

Edited by David_eh

10 hours ago, Shiva said:

If you take one Apple and another's Apple, you have undoubtedly two apples.

But we defined what we call an Apple in the first place. Therefore, we also defined the result.

If we begin to question our notion of the concept "apple" it will ultimately collapse because it has no ground. It collapses with the logic that one apple plus one apple equals two apples all together. 

Logic is not inherent to reality. We made logic up to model reality for our own needs. And it works to some extent.

Even just seperateing and isolating apples in order to count or own them is a concept because having borders between things is a concept. 

There is an infinite amount of possible apples and the potential for apples has always been.