Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Maynor

I Think I Discovered that Culture Makes Me Unhappy

4 posts in this topic

I've been alone for the past 4 days on purpose absent my participation on here.  I've been working 12 hours a day on my personal development stuff.  And one thing I noticed is that I am so much happier and at peace than I was last week with all the holidays and the social shit.  I'm just being my authentic-self working my butt off and it's like I'm not even working.  

Life is only brutal when I am not doing this.  When I am doing this, I am at peace and happy.

Even Enlightenment culture makes me unhappy.  All culture grinds on me after a while.  I've recently just become conscious of this fully.  

I realize this is probably a block I need to get over at some point.  

Song to set the mood:

And another:

And another:

Video on point:

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Hallo Joseph,

from what you wrote I had almost the exact same experience last week. The answer - for me - is to be a little more authentic/integer/honest - even if it hurts people. Another vision is to buy a house near a forest... and live there for some years just with the bare essentials to meditate, work, train and learn... And then come back hard as steel. Maybe one could do this instead of vacations for some months a year..

What makes life with people so brutal?

I really felt this meaninglessness when we were counting down for new year. 

Currently everything is starting to lose meaning for me, which is good, but can be really depressing as well. So seeing everybody so happy and excited for something that looked like the exact same evening as always was pretty weird and there was this painful feeling of being different then the rest coming over me. I used to really feel this excitement too, but now there is just nothing anymore

It's at this moment where I can really tell how culture influences people's perception.

Also nice taste in music. I love me some Pink Floyd from time to time too. Do you like Led Zeppelin? @Joseph Maynor

Edited by Max_V

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

I don't know the exact reasons why culture makes you unhappy, as this was not mentioned.
Society and culture sure can be crappy. But you have to figure out why it makes you unhappy, is it about culture, or about how you value/experience culture? And what is that experience exactly? Unhappy is a broad term.

I had a similar issue some time ago, which may be totally different from your situation :) . But some time ago i had convinced my self i disliked society and people in general. So i became more reclusive as i did not enjoy, nor saw the need for most human interaction. I saw it as a waste of time.
Later, when working on myself and digging deeper into my core values, i realized i actually have some anxiety . And was using avoidance as a solution. The problem was, due to me being reclusive, this issue was getting worse.

It was a harsh realization for me, as I had been using spirituality as an excuse to avoid the unpleasant situation of going out in society. Visioning myself as becoming some kind of hermit sage. I had to realize spirituality did not give me an excuse to allow myself to have this fear. So i started working on it, going more out in situations i would never have gone in the past. I am starting to enjoy it even, allowing myself to be in the moment with other people.