Afonso

What are these terms?

7 posts in this topic

After reading a lot of spiritual books I still can't grasp nor understand the correlation of these concepts:

God, God head, Supreme being, Consciousness, Pure consciousness, Presence, Awareness, Unmanifest, Manifest, Divinity, Being.

How do these interconnect? And what are their real meaning?

Edited by Afonso

Depends on who is saying , but I think is all the same think , some word to define the undefinable .

This is the issue with trying to use words for abstract spiritual concepts, everybody has different interpretations and concepts in which nearly everyone thinks their own is accurate.

What is important is the revelation of 'what one is in essence' -- yet another name, of course, for what defies all names. All the conventional tradition-specific names come with cultural baggage and/or semantic ambiguities. So perhaps best to keep it as nonspecific as possible. Not to say that they don't have some relative usefulness as pointers, but until there is an indelible knowing of what is being pointed at, then they can become traps. Once that is known, all names and descriptors can begin to feel like disposable answers to a koan.

55 minutes ago, Mighty Mouse said:

Consciousness/Awareness/Unmanifest: The capacity to perceive.

Manifest: Perception.

Everything else: Bullshit.

It's all really just 'bullshit', it just depends on where one draws the line between the bull and the shit, if one draws it at all.

@Afonso

They're all pointing to the exact same thing. Except this thing is actually no-thing.

You can't grasp it because they're intentionally using a non-nonsensical term so that the mind doesn't turn it into a concept.

I'd ask yourself if there's another way you could understand it. And if you could, how would you make it happen?

32 minutes ago, Mighty Mouse said:

I draw it between what actually exists and what is mere appearance.

Well, reality isn't always as it appears and an illusion is exactly what it is.