thehero

How do you deal with people thinking you're a nut?

31 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

@Shroomdoctor haha yes! I wish! It's a shame were all spread out over the globe, can you imagine the friendships we could all make together in person! No your not part of a cult, although at time's I've had this fleeting thought. Just because nobody else is doing it and it isn't what culture/society calls 'the norm' doesn't make it anything 'abnormal' or 'weird'. To be honest I strive to anything that isn't perceived as 'normal" because that means I've stepped out of the society/culture circle and I know I definitely don't want to be part of that clan ?

Gotta go it alone, will never truly actualize if you make a social culture out of it.

51 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

@Shroomdoctor haha yes! I wish! It's a shame were all spread out over the globe, can you imagine the friendships we could all make together in person! No your not part of a cult, although at time's I've had this fleeting thought. Just because nobody else is doing it and it isn't what culture/society calls 'the norm' doesn't make it anything 'abnormal' or 'weird'. To be honest I strive to anything that isn't perceived as 'normal" because that means I've stepped out of the society/culture circle and I know I definitely don't want to be part of that clan ?

I also think 'where the fuck have I put myself into?' sometimes. but then, when I see how people around me which everyone would consider 'normal' live, I am quite happy to have stepped out of that! it seems more and more that they're really the crazy ones..pissing their lives away like that. running around in circles and giving meaning to destructive things.

selfactualizationcity <3 it would be wonderful. I imagine really deep connections! 

whatever arises, love that

Let them think all of that about you. You're not going to convince them to change their tune...not when it comes to the worldview they've developed over the span of their lifetime.

So quit talking about it :P you'll bump into someone with similar views somewhere down the line, save all this talk for them/us. 

@thehero You are playing a losing game. 0.1% of people will be open minded enough to pick up the knowledge that we are picking up and are interested in. Having the expectation of most people understanding you is unrealistic.

Yes, your are gonna be mostly alone in this. The only way most people around you will start to get interested in what you are saying is when they will see you change radically. They will be like: ”What the fuck happened to him? He is a completely other person.” 

How are you so calm all the time? And you say ”Meditation”. Then they may open up.

How did you get a ripped body like this? Well, I told you about counting macros, not doing cardio, hitting the weights etc. but you weren't willing to listen. Now you are.

How did you escape the rat race and the 9 to 5? Well, I did this, this and this, but you were also not willing to listen.

How did you become so open minded? etc.

The list can go on and on. Be the change you want to see in the world and the people around you may follow. If they don't, then good riddance.

One of the biggest challenges in life will be finding like minded people. You need to take ownership of that and make new, conscious, high quality friends.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

What I do is I just tell anyone during a conversation, should it come up, that I'm into self-development for the past 6 years & they can feel free to ask me about some issues they might want some advice on & leave it at that.

I've tried to tell people about meditation techniques, Qigong, vegetarian eating.  It's all pointless & useless to them.  Especially young people.  So many of them have it "figured out" already...lol.

My manager at work will usually ask about anything I'm doing & will tell me about his medical condition & I can relate to that & tell him what I've done.  And he'll take it to heart.  I've also been able to make people question their own belief systems, at least with finances.  You sort of want to sell your points with a strong argument for why it works.

But most people won't, unless they have a specific problem in which you can provide a specific solution that they agree with.  When that happens, when you have conversations with them again, they'll take heed to what you're telling them.

The other thing I've noticed is that, in absentia, I'm more appreciated.  So if someone annoys me or doesn't want to hear what I have to say, I'll disappear from their frame.  Take away sales tactics work well with psychology.

People look at me like I’m the devil if I start talking about the illusion of free will. . .

Just don't. Don't tell them if they don't want to listen and be ok with whatever they are thinking about you. Their opinion doesn't have much of an impact on your life and can change anytime.

If I were you, I would contemplate this question: Do opinions of others matter? If no, then why do I feel anxiety, pain or even care at all?

I tried to talk about enlightenment, problems with science and a lot of unconventional topics. Unfortunately, everyone thinks that I am extremely gullible and believe stupid shit. Now, I can't express anything I am passionate about without being shut down or judged (many times I'm indirectly judged). This hurts a lot for people not to trust me or at least be open-minded to what I am saying. I am telling people about some *revolutionary*  shit!! My lifestyle is not understood, my beliefs are shut down, I am unable to express myself... It just doesn't feel good. I am not good yet at making friends. But I guess I have no choice but to find new friends? 

Leo did some clips about explaing enlightenment for other people and about beliefs and missionarying. They pretty much gave the answear to your question.

Btw...have you ever considered that "you are a saltwaterfish stubburnly trying to live in a freshwater enviroment"?

Pain usually prompts change. It is often a good thing to notice.