Jhonny

Does meditation makes one intelligent too?

12 posts in this topic

@Jhonny Hmm, not really. Just calmer and more clear-headed, so you might feel more intelligent and level-headed. But it doesn't raise your IQ if that's what you mean.

Shinzen speculated mindfulness might actually increase IQ. In his personal experience he couldn't handle math in high school (or whereever) but now after decades of mindfulness training and getting into science he's kind of a math geek. Whether that's purely because of increased concentration clarity and equanimity, or whether those have some relation to IQ, I have no idea.

Yes it does.  It develops awareness.  With increased awareness you become wiser, more centered, and more reality focused.

You become so intelligent the average citizen thinks you're stupid as fuck xD

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Jhonny Certainly it does...

Because it makes you question things more deeply, and helps you to sort out the hearsay from the true, and if you carry the principles of meditation with you, then you live a life of application and testing over mental-masturbation (a word I have come to love) which is how you improve intelligence ultimately.

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

It sure does, it reduce useless thinking so you get sharper and more energised when you really need to think.

As the general measure of intelligence is knowledge and application of that knowledge.  I have to disagree as the process of enlightenment and meditation does not really give you any knowledge it in fact does the exact opposite. You see the futility of knowledge and thought as it is commonly understood. 

What meditation does do though is gives you access to an stream of awareness and focus that can be shined on anything.

Intelligence produces stream of thought.

Meditation produces  stream of awareness. 

So my answer would be no meditation does not make one smarter. That being said I could see how a person that meditates could do better on test or application of knowledge just because they have learned how to focus their awareness and thus use the same amount of information more efficiently.

Edited by Source_Mystic

I no longer advocate, participate, condone, or support  actualized.org or Leo Gura in anyway. The reasons are left in the few post I left behind.