Ryan T

Thoughts on the potential harm of honesty

8 posts in this topic

Hm so, I think this one is interesting. Here are some thoughts I have on the subject. When you are in a friendship, it may be a good idea to wait to be completely honest until the truth of you can be said to another without harm done. Hence, holding off on total honesty until you are a better, more developed person. Another idea I have is that, it is the greater good to be honest—even though it stings.

One last idea I have is that, it is beneficial to find someone who can take your honesty without feeling harm due to it.

Any critiques, thoughts or add ons? If so, please share.

If you are on the path of truth you should always persue honesty. 

HOWEVER

I feel that although compassionate radical honesty is a very good value to live by, if you aren't developed enough to deal with the consequences you can make exceptions.

In my opinion, deciding how closely you want to follow this value should be completely up to you, it is after all, a value. If you were going to be killed if you told the truth, and spared if you lied. Would you lie? 

I probably would. For me ultimate honesty is not worth cutting decades of a fulfilled life short.  Again though I think that it depends on what you value.

What is friendship? 

When is friendship actually a relationship between two people? 

When is there not a relationship? 

Once this this question is seen and understood then we must ask ourselves if we are being honestly genuine to that insight.  Only then your motive will become self evident. 

In this case your motive is an indication of what action or non action to take into consideration to go about communicating the content of the message. 

If this sounds like somthing worth expending some energy into inquire into relationship and images. 

Google 

Relationship without image is love 

??

Hi, I'm wondering how to start being honest. I've read RadicalHonesty and I strongly feel I need to give it a try. I also think, that this is worth much more that just "trying". I think that before having deep, honest conversations with family etc. it would be great to first break the LieWall with people who also want to bring that change into their lives. 
I wonder if ability of telling the truth would then grow so that really hard talk with parents or close friend would be more manageable

In that sense the only truly honest friendship would be possible with a person who is also very well developed and will appreciate the truth. And even that does not mean you have to articulate all you notice about them ;) But you may try and be as honest as possible without hurting somebody - as true as you think they can handle.

the point of radical honesty is that it burns the ego

Honesty and being authentic aren't quite the same thing. We can be authentic but not necessarily tell everyone everything in our thoughts or our feelings.

Thoughts and feelings are perceptions that are filtered through the self conscious so even though we may perceive we are telling someone the 'truth' when we are being radically honest with them it doesn't mean we are accurately expressing what it is. We are expressing it as we perceive it as, which may or may not be accurate to what it is.

So understanding this when we are talking about "radical honesty" may allow us to recognize there are perceptions apropos for silence and this doesn't alter how authentic we are being.

Edited by SOUL

Often, an unconscious belief when we think we can't be honest with certain people like our mother or family in general, is that they are so pathetic that they can't handle the truth. Stop thinking other people are so pathetic that they can't handle being told the truth.