Joseph Maynor

Why Are People Depressed During the Holidays?

44 posts in this topic

Call me tone-deaf, but I don't understand this.  Is this some kind of Ego-backlash to the overly-cheery facade of the Holidays?

Ha.. some peaple covering up by busyness but when it taken away the one self is left naked in front of his guts thet he been ignoring for decade, doesnt understands whats in front of him, makes him confused & pain.

Edited by Shu

Maybe some expectation that you're "supposed to be happy and social".

It will be a interesting(?) christmas this year since I switched to a plant based diet a couple of months ago.
Haven't felt like telling anyone. But now I got no choice.  Already started explaining to people why I wont be eating of the food this year. I'll guess I will have to do that several more times O.o

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

@Joseph Maynor I’ve noticed people subtly know their dogmas are facades, which leaves them suffering in their now with thinking of their past. If only they would do some practices, but then, it’s perfect. ❤️ Dogma holidays trigger this with some of the zombies, like a full moon with werewolves. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

pulling a couple jim Carrey’s

What's that? :D

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

@Nahm hahah, priceless mention! :D 

@sgn This will explain it for you haha

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

We project that goody at the end of the tunnel.

For unless one is able to live fully in the present, the future is a hoax. There is no point whatever in making plans for a future which you will never be able to enjoy. When your plans mature, you will still be living for some other future beyond. You will never, never be able to sit back with full contentment and say, “Now, I’ve arrived!” Your entire education has deprived you of this capacity because it was preparing you for the future, instead of showing you how to be alive now.

Alan Watts 

To me everyday is a holyday lol 

To live whole, and unbroken by the remeberences of the past and projected desires of the future. 

The fact of this holiday depression does share some similarities with remeberences and projections...At least I think so. 

??‍♂️

@Joseph Maynor I've had a few friends commit suicide at this time of year...I never really got why it is so upsetting though either...Personally, we celebrate Yule rather than Xmas, and I find the culture clash upsets me some...I find the materialism makes me kinda bummed...the fakeness is lame...the expectations are yucky...I'm usually alone (but I like that) & the lights are pretty, people have time off work, share meals etc...it can't be that bad...a guy backed into my car today...I told him no worries, it's just a dent...he totally thought I was only compassionate because of Jesus Day, when the thought of xmas hadn't crossed my mind...The main thing that makes me sad, is that many feel they are forced to be compassionate because of "the holidays" and then continue being Grumpy-Grinches the rest of the year...lol....

Benedict_Cumberbatch_as_The_Grinch.0.0[1].jpg

@Epiphany_Inspired

Yeah.  This time of year has a very conflicted and dark undertone to it.  Kind of like some kind of dark comedy.  There's a satire in the winter, a kind of punishment by the Universe.  Actually, if you think about it, this is when everything is dying in preparation for the New Year.  So, the theme is death this time of year, in a way.

Also, if there are realities that have been swept under the carpet, this time of the year is often the time where the chickens come home to roost.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@sgn Dude only because you in a diet, doesnt mean you cant eat fast food or unhealthy food ever. The key is self-control and not get into a unwanted habit

Because according to the social media and people's stories everyone is having a much nicer Christmas than you, with presents, coming together, warmth, gratitude et cetera, whereas you are stuck alone with your alcoholic abusive parent who is going to blame you for being a failure. You will not get a present and the presents you give don't even provoke a "thank you". On the contrary, they get critiqued, looked down upon and thrown aside. At some level, you feel like it's your fault that your Christmas is the worst and no one is having a worse Christmas than you, but you have no idea what to do about it. So you're forever stuck in your miserable hell.

That's why. ;)

@Ether But this is a vegan diet. I won't be making any exceptions.

I not close to my family members, yet I have to spend time with them.

Edited by Spiral

@Joseph Maynor Imagine how you would feel if you saw everyone else around you having fun and looking cheery with their friends and family, while you were all alone.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Maybe people compare the happiness and joy of Christmas to everyday life and it makes them less thankful because many people feel much better, I believe during Christmas than they do in day to day life. This makes me think of the idea that if peoples’ situations change for the worse, they will become more grateful. 

54 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Joseph Maynor Imagine how you would feel if you saw everyone else around you having fun and looking cheery with their friends and family, while you were all alone.

This time of year is almost like a test of how culture will affect you as it burns through you.  

@Leo Gura That's me. I just also know that everything I acquire won't fulfill me, it is something else I am missing (or not).