Joseph Maynor

Why Are People Depressed During the Holidays?

44 posts in this topic

@Joseph Maynor the Christmas period is way too busy and being busy all the time makes people depressed. We shouldn’t be rushing around buying things that don’t really matter.

@Leo Gura How someone feels is really depending on the thoughts their mind produces. So, for example, one might "think" that: Oh, I am alone, no one want me, i feel so depressed, i should be with someone now while on holidays etc.

You've slept a hundred nights, And what has it brought you? For your self, for your God, Wake up! Wake up! Sleep no more.

1 hour ago, RawJudah said:

@Joseph Maynor the Christmas period is way too busy and being busy all the time makes people depressed. We shouldn’t be rushing around buying things that don’t really matter.

I know when you go see family, whether you realize it or not, you are reliving a lot of your past, and the feelings and emotions of the past.  I think the Ego resents this because it’s trying to protect you from painful emotions.  But the Ego’s resistance to going through this process causes a lot of the pain, paradoxically.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

2 hours ago, Ether said:

@Leo Gura And the cause of unhappiness is still thoughts. Please no piss on the soup example

I think there’s also a feeling of being judged by family members that all have these selfish interests in what they want and expect from me.  There’s a fear of revealing too much to make myself vulnerable.  There’s also a fear that I will be rejected by family members who find out that I am a different person than the concept they have attached to me.  The reality-check goes both ways.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor And those insecurities is caused by the THOUGHT about those things. Not the actual circumstance. I love christmas.

@Joseph Maynor You’re not a different person, you’re a much better, wiser, and considerate version of yourself. I bet when you see em, you won’t even notice the selfishness. You’ll probably feel great when you see what they want from you, cause it’s just love. Which feels good. It’s all appearance, so make an appearance of  ❤️.   Love is the one in us all, the great common denominator. No one is safe from love. The unconditional brand, the judgement-free stuff. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Don't become such a nondual snob that you neglect cultivating quality human relationships, otherwise you will probably be sorry.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Joseph Maynor Take some mushrooms and look at Christmas lights at night. You'll change your mind about the holidays having a cheery facade. ;)

i can personally relate to this, the best answer i came up with is that intuitively we know it's fake and most are pretending to love/like each other when they're merely just tolerating each other because they think they have to.  i feel this would be evident if there was no incentive such as no work and gift giving.  everyone knows what it feels like being surrounded by people and family yet still feeling alone. 

Edited by AnTe

Its just part of the culture our ancestors made up to entertain themselves.... you don't have to play along nor do you have to care. I don't care at all about these holidays, but my son, wife and the rest of my family does... And them being happy for these childish things makes me happy... 

And of course, the food.

But yes, if we get caught up in "everything is fake and meaningless" paradigm, you will have a miserable existence. At least enjoy this video game while you're here. Or not. Do whatever you want lol.

oS3Qd2AZZ-620x396.png

One thing that is not very favorable on holidays with “family” is the lack of interesting conversations lol 

lol ah man 

I don't know why other folks are depressed but personally,

I'm tired of being the family holiday therapist.  It's gotten better because of the effort I put into it, but sometimes there are things that go unspoken, and during times when you are reminded of how close you 'should' be, it reminds you of how far you really are from one another and that is hurtful.

But on a lighter note, meowy christmas to this train wreck. ;P

20171224_202853.jpg

Edited by Annetta

@sgn don’t explain why you eat that way. If they don’t understand without an explanation well I doubt the explanation would be very helpful lol 

??

@Faceless I think feelings like this reside more in the stomach/middle chest area and can continue to come up if the emotions are not processed.

The body holds past emotions more than the mind does.

Depression is a gift. Don't label is as a bad thing. It's a fucking gift. It gave me contrast, and i've never felt such love and lust for life. I see beauty everywhere. 

I want to thank Leo. He turned my life upside down. I want to thank everyone, i'm so grateful for everything. This has been the best year of my life. 

I also want to than myself. I showed myself that life is magic.