Work in progress

Is the path towards enlightenment just another Ego distraction?

13 posts in this topic

I am digging deep into this path to enlightenment and the thought occurred to me this morning before I got out of bed.  Is this just another Ego distraction.  My ego ofcouce had a valid argument.  My ego asked  “If we are all Oneness or God then let me do my job of protecting this body until it dies - you are eternal and will go on into infinity so time is irrelevant   - this enlightenment doesn’t matter either way after the body dies because then all body and mind is dead and your spirit, which is you, will be free.   What’s the point of enlightenment while the body is still alive.  Is this not just another Ego Trip to see if you can make enlightenment before the body dies while the majority never try or simply fail.”   

Enlightenment = Killing the ego. Soo no, its not a distraction.

A trap that Ive found with myself is when you are chasing this thing called enlightenment and desiring "awakening experiences." This is the ego.

For it to be a distraction it has to be a distraction from something. From what would it be? From your goals. So if you set reaching enlightenment, it might even be that every thought is a distraction, so you just need to choose wisely how you'll spend your time distracting yourself from it. You can have other goals as well of course.

But yeah you just can't see that the enlightened state is a more efficient and superior way to live. You will end up achieving more if you get enlightened compared to the time it actually takes to get enlightened.

who told you that you will go into infinity when you die? wtf is infinity anyway?

And I didnt understand what you're asking.

did you ask if enlightenment is an ego distraction? what isnt in your life an ego distraction?

Enlightenment is very practical because it removes all your suffering, and you can supress almost every suffering even before enlightenment (almost, because you will still fear to get killed/physically injured).
Not only that, but if you supress your suffering, then you'll stop making people and animals around you suffer too, which ultimately leads to make them happier in the long run.

The only way to make it a distraction, is if you stop doing what you know you should do in your life to grow as an individual, both emotionally and in your life purpose (which is called spiritual bypassing).

Otherwise there is no contradiction with living a "normal" life, except you will slowly but surely cut out all the crap that aren't genuine to you (food/hobbies/friendship etc ...).
Whatever you do isn't anti-spiritual, nothing is by definition, it's just that the ways you can approach things in life make you suffer or not, that's all.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

14 hours ago, jhmarrio said:

A trap that Ive found with myself is when you are chasing this thing called enlightenment and desiring "awakening experiences." This is the ego.

I am pretty sure I’ve had a few of those awakening experiences over the last week or so.  I am clean as a whistle when it comes to drugs and alcohol but the sensations I have had are pretty darn intoxicating.  I can’t imagine what the mother load feels like.  

I am telling everyone I know about Leo’s web site.   Facebook. Twitter.  U name it.    He has changed my life.   I am so far ahead mentally over just the last few months. It’s almost unbelievable - 

Practice is not an ego distraction. Trying to intellectually grasp enlightenment is though. It's quite accurate to say you can't become enlightened through effort or practice. Enlightenment just happens. But without practice, 99.99% chance it won't.

You’re on the right track in that you are contemplating very hard.  But your understanding of Enlightenment needs more work.  One major insight of Enlightenment is that reality differs substantially from what the Mind thinks reality is.  So, you need to contemplate that issue fully.  That’s one issue that Enlightenment tries to explore.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

It's not an ego distraction, it's exactly the route to freedom from the ego. The ego mind/body mind must die. God-realization isn't possible for the ordinary consciousness. God is the ultimate truth, but few know that because they haven't experienced it, and to do so requires intense work or dmt. Experience have taught me that reality is 1 billion times away from what our minds thinks about it, it's simply extraordinary. All ''knowledge'' about it is meaningless because 99% of it is in our minds, not pure experience. Trying to grasp reality with the mind is pointless, it leads nowhere. It's purpose is to either navigate life or be turned inward, where it belongs.