Max_V

Is building muscle and getting your body as healthy as possible always an egoic desire?

31 posts in this topic

I'm curious.

Can there be an authentic desire to build muscle and get your body as healthy as possible, or, is this always egoic -- wanting to look good, not being content with your self-image, etc --- ?

Edited by Max_V

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

isn't being authentic doing what the ego wants? isn't the ego everything that makes up your identity? at least that's how i understood it if that's what it is then its probably always an egoic desire

@Max_V Whenever there's an underlying motive to do something because of a lack of something else... It's egoic. 
An authentic desire to be healthy is simply that. A desire to be healthy. No motive needed. It's egoic when you do it so that you may look good and therefor up your self-image. 

It's a subtle thing to become aware of. But just remember, when a desire doesn't have a motive. It's authentic. You simply want to do it for the sake of doing it. Because you love doing it. :)

23 minutes ago, BjarkeT said:

isn't being authentic doing what the ego wants? isn't the ego everything that makes up your identity? at least that's how i understood it if that's what it is then its probably always an egoic desire

The ego is the identification with thought. Authenticity is letting go of identity altogether.
What will you be doing without a thought telling you what to do? That's where authenticity comes in. But you can't define it. Nor identify with it. Every moment it's totally new and original. 

Just ask yourself why do you want it. Do you want a healthy and muscular body so you can show off? So you get compliments? So you feel more alpha? If that's the case then yes it is an egoic desire.

Whatever you do, you are always authentic. Ego doesn't exist.

edit: I mean, the ego is worried about being egoic ? What do you really want ?

Edited by Soulbass

It depends on whether it's an authentic value of yours and where it stands in relation to your other authentic values. 

It's a misunderstanding that you are healthy because of muscles.

If you really care about health and consciousness then there's only one practice that will help you with that. Yoga.

@cirkussmile After the Christmas vacation, I will start practicing kundalini yoga :)

Definitely recognise the benefits of yoga.

@5thPablo @Joseph Maynor I don't really do it to look good and get compliments.

There is certainly a hidden neurosis within that criticises how I look, but more so to look good in my own eyes then those of others. But luckily this is starting to fade with my self-inquiry and investigation.

But on the other side of things: even if I don't care about how I look, and the neurosis fades, there is still this interest to make my body healthy and strong. Not only strong in the sense of muscle power, etc. but also strong in how it handles challenging environments such as the cold, heat, viruses. I want my body to be flexible, tough, and efficient. 

So there is certainly some neurosis going on here, but I think there is something more that fuels my motivation and interest towards this matter.

Edited by Max_V

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

@5thPablo Exactly, if its just to feel better its not because you are only doing it to feel pleasure, if its a self-image pleasure it will cause suffering.

Being fit and healthy is necessity there is nothing authentic about being fat not having energy(like Leo said)

Edited by NoSelfSelf

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

Bruce Lee was a holy human being. He was whole in the sense that his whole being was properly maintained. His body/mind/thought  were one. He was an inquirer of thought and a scientific investigater of the body.

When it comes down to it every part of your organism is effected by another. Body effects mind, mind/thought effects body. There really is no seperation. It’s one process of many processes. 

When you investigate into thought which is yourself, motive becomes clear on why you want to become physically fit. When the motive and intention is observed objectively you get your answer to that question. 

Your motive to that question is the answer. 

Blend psychological order with an order of physical fitness. Be aware of the reasons for doing things. Also try exercising or working out alone until this questioning yourself evaporates. Then go to a social fitness club or environment and test your motive and intention. Personaly I like to be alone I’m fitness. When I exercise usually I am enjoying myself and not being critical. Every moment should be enjoyed. Don’t do it just because it’s good for you, but because you also enjoy it. 

Life is to be enjoyed 

??

Just imagine how good it feels to reside in such body. Doing every move with ease, being aware of what is happening inside it. Learning how to control your body can paradoxically lead you to the conclusion that there's nothing to control.

Spirituality, EVERYWHERE

Edited by Girzo

@Shiva hahah, well you’re right there.

I will just do what I’m drawn to I suppose. If I find out at some point that this what I’m doing is all meaningless and illusory, it might even be a good thing, because the neurotic desire gets purged and I will feel more authentic afterwards.

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

@Shiva I think that if you have a desire egoic or not you should pursue it, If your happy while doing that why not,  after some time you will realize if its worth or not. But bad thing to peruse is when society or other people determine that.

In the end everything is good if your mindfull of it. 

Edited by haai14

Look up Frank Yang. Serial meditator and self-inquirer. Also takes 5-MeO and he is shredded. Do what YOU want to do man! Stop trying to get it validated by this forum. 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

5 minutes ago, The White Belt said:

Stop trying to get it validated by this forum. 

Ye that's a big one, seeking validation is still one of my weak points. I have to go find my life purpose and care less about other peoples opinions and validations on it.

Still though, I was interested if wanting to build muscle could actually be an authentic desire. 

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

@Max_V Nothing whatsoever is egoic unless you make it so.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

In my limited view, I feel movement and flexibility are more important. Especially focusing on the core and spine in terms of stretching and strengthening. 

Ido Portal (online dude) seems like a cool fella when it’s comes to playing with movement. He makes sense to me as I like body weight training and using the world as my gym.

Peter Ralston’s Zen Body Being book is also a great perspective on how to use the body efficiently. Very worth the read and practice for everyone on here.

Muscle growth should be the last thought really, it becomes a nice by-product of enjoying the body and if that’s the focus how big is big enough? The ones I know that focus on it and never content.

Memory popped when I was about to write a quote and thought you best hear it in person. Nice to listen to it all but starts at 2:40 ish. All the best.

@Max_V Phew. Good on you for not attacking me for saying that. I thought you might be resistant to admitting that. 

It's like Leo said, but add this to it  "Life isn't about what you do, but how you do it". 

The process is everything.

Do it all level-headedly, with awareness. 

You can learn so much by building muscle; 

- learn about resistance

- learn discipline 

- learn about when you're ready to quit 

- learn about whether or not it makes you arrogant 

- learn about whether or not you feel more fulfilled in the process 

- learn about the body and nutrition 

- observe how thoughts change when you lift a weight.

Do you see what I'm getting at here? Do it with a self-actualisation mindset/bigger picture and then no, it isn't egoic.

The flip side of this is that you want to pump iron so you can scare of other guys, get big booty babes, take loads of selfies for Instagram and look at yourself in the mirror for 30 minutes at a time. 

Choose one. 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

@The White Belt

Well I’ve made my pick :D

Also, of course I wouldn’t attack you for that, you helped me become aware of something going on that I couldn’t see myself. I should thank you

@Ocean I was actually already quite intersted in that book, what are the main principles you learn in it?

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus