John Iverson

The Power of Now by Eckart Tolle

41 posts in this topic

@John Iverson  Yes, it was a silly joke ... Anyway, the 'movie' already is Eckhart's countless videos, a few of which I've watched on youtube. I can see his appeal, and trust it inspires some deeper inquiry.

@John Iverson One of the most important things he talks about:

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

Something quite unique about The Power of Now (and perhaps the reason for its success) is that it articulates Mindfulness and Non-Duality.

I read hand-picked parts of the book in my philosophy class

I am very surprised at how this book gained such great popularity! The average middle aged woman who has never heard of enlightenment before must have no fucking clue what Tolle is talking about!  He talks about the unborn and the absolute...such difficult concepts that even I don't understand after months of research!

The teachings are clear and relatively accurate...but they're so accurate that I'm just surprised how this book gained so much popularity when I feel like 99% of the mainstream audience reading this book must be totally lost in delusion (including myself of course)

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

43 minutes ago, Adam M said:

such difficult concepts that even I don't understand after months of research!

If you read this book thinking you'll learn something, you're doing it wrong.

It's about what you realize in your own experience while reading it, and by doing the exercices he tells you to do that you actually learn anything.

Understanding the absolute is by direct experience, not knowledge, not with your thoughts, that's not gonna happen, EVER.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

People comparing Leo's work to other spiritual teachers don't understand one thing. Leo is very straightforward in his teachings. He just gives you the Truth straight on the plate. Is it scary? Yes! Does it sound crazy and extreme? Yes! But that's his style and that's what I like about his approach. He is radically open-minded and explores many aspects of life, offering deep insights in literally every direction. 

The Power of Now saved me from depression and anxiety. If I hadn't read that book, I would be a victim whining about how bad my life is right now. 

I discovered the power of now when I was searching for a productivity book when I was in school. I legit thought it was a book about productivity. How silly of me. I didn't see the genre. Nevertheless, I read it. I first read the ebook online and it transformed how I think. I became aware of the ego and it's victim stories and I experienced the Present moment first hand and inner peace that's within me all the time while reading the book as I surrender it was a beautiful experience! I can never forget the first time I was fully present and at peace. Later, I bought ALL of his books. I was pretty obsessed with Eckhart lol. It was my first encounter with spirituality. I think it's great for beginners.

I think it's mainstream because his words can point to the present moment and people can easily grasp the teachings. (as long as they are openminded) 

I used to listen to his talks on youtube but later moved on to Rupert Spira since his explanations about non-duality are really good and vibes well with me I guess. :P 

Edited by Study

@John Iverson

Funny I just made a video about that book.

It was the first real Non-Dual book I ever read and it blew my mind. Basically jump started my meditation habit.

I still read it from time to time to bring me back into presence.

9 hours ago, Adam M said:

I read hand-picked parts of the book in my philosophy class

I am very surprised at how this book gained such great popularity! The average middle aged woman who has never heard of enlightenment before must have no fucking clue what Tolle is talking about!  He talks about the unborn and the absolute...such difficult concepts that even I don't understand after months of research!

The teachings are clear and relatively accurate...but they're so accurate that I'm just surprised how this book gained so much popularity when I feel like 99% of the mainstream audience reading this book must be totally lost in delusion (including myself of course)

The unborn and absolute are not to be understood. Eckhart says this time and again, the unmanifested is understanding itself, it cannot be understood.  

And you're researching lol. Nice, Wrap your head around it, but that's not Eckhart's teachings.

They are popular, because there is nothing to understand.  It's about staying conscious and alert. It's about learning how to stay as the witness of your inner space. So there, I hope you're not confused anymore as to the book's popularity ?.

I imagine Eckhart's cheeky laugh when he hears you're researching the unmanifest and you're having trouble with understanding it ? 

Ofcourse you're having trouble understanding it! Is what he'd probably say. 

Zen student: Master, I don't understand Zen. 

Master: Me too

Edited by Dodo

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

6 hours ago, Study said:

I legit thought it was a book about productivity. 

that's fucking hilarious 

little did I know it that it would absolutely transform the way I would see life... 

4 hours ago, Epiphany_Inspired said:

@John Iverson I may get rotten tomatoes thrown at me or something...but I think if this book replaced the bible this world would be a utopia...lol...

If also the teaching of every religion becomes spiritual this world would be a utopia :D HAHA

Just now, DoubleYou said:

One of the most important books of our time.

I'm in chapter 5 now, and yes.. what you said is i agree and true

6 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

One of the most important books of our time.

Ironically, it's not in the top 10 spiritual books of Leo.

Leo the non-dual rebel :ph34r:

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I listen to eckharts audio books everytime i'm driving long trips by myself. Everytime i understand something new when i listen to them. If you just can read/listen these books with presence they will offer you so much! If you try to understand these as mental concepts you get nothing out of them.

@Shin I feel like it was a good introduction to enlightenment. I probably wouldn't be open minded enough back then to immediately go and read The Book of Not Knowing. 

Although I do feel like The Power of Now doesn't really go deep into topics like the conceptual dominance of our experience for example. But this could also just be me, maybe if I read The Power of Now now, I could get some more juice out of it.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

20 hours ago, Pierre said:

Something quite unique about The Power of Now (and perhaps the reason for its success) is that it articulates Mindfulness and Non-Duality.

And it is very experiential..

48 minutes ago, Shin said:

Ironically, it's not in the top 10 spiritual books of Leo.

Leo the non-dual rebel :ph34r:

I'm curious what content there is in his top 10 spiritual books of Leo haha.. 

On 12/18/2017 at 8:45 AM, John Iverson said:

What can you say about this book? I bought it haha! 

For me reading the book was the start of a big journey. It made me rediscover the body. I think that if someone is new to spirituality and fully understands the first 50 pages of the book alone, he will grasp the essence of spirituality and the basics of psychology better than by watching a lot of Leo’ s videos. 

It is simple and clear and explains most that is necessary to know in order to begin deep self work . Together with radical honesty, it was the most important book I have ever read ( in terms of new knowledge acquired and change it produced in my life ) .

Observe reality as it is, not as you would like it to be