Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dude

Spiritual Enlightenment & Jed McKenna

6 posts in this topic

I highly recommend you read the books from Jed McKenna if you are interested in enlightenment, especially: Spiritual Enlightenment - The Damnedest Thing. He really shows you a down to earth, realistic view of enlightenment. The many analogy's Jed McKenna makes in the book helped me to wrap my mind around this complex topic.

Basically he rants about the mainstream view on enlightenment. We'll all go to the party high up in the sky blissful chill type of view. He says that that is where a lot of people go wrong they take a mystical experience as enlightenment but it's not. Enlightenment isn't any type of blissful vision or something that makes you enter in an eternal good state and stuff. It is just straight up the uprooting and destroying of your belief system and ego to the point that you die and don't identify with anyone or any role anymore. It is about the realization of the fact that EVERY BELIEF IS FALSE.

I made a video about it on my channel of you want to check it out :P link in my signature

Have a great day

That is correct.

Although what remains after that is achieved is a sort of divinization of all experience.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the rest of the world calls a butterfly"

Enlightenment is the end of your world and everything you've once held and cherished. It's becoming aware of that the things you've hated or loved are groundless. Depressing or liberating, which is it? Neither, it's just Truth. 

"It is just straight up the uprooting and destroying of your belief system and ego to the point that you die and don't identify with anyone or any role anymore"

How does this translate into how you behave and act in the world? 

@Hafiz Well the whole grounding for all your actions now is your self-image, ego. When that disappears there's no grounding anymore for any of your action. From the outside it won't effect your behavior in any way if you want to stay the same.

However when we try to change with our ego's still in action it is quite hard. Once removed change will be much easier because there is nothing to comply with anymore. Your behavior doesn't have to be checked against your ego every time. So all the barriers of change will break down. At that point if you want to poke peoples eye's out you could do it with no ego backlash. Now of course you will still have the ability of sound reasoning so that option will probably be crossed of but it would't make any difference.

So it totally depends on your intention. Want to be a healthy and fitness? you would just do it. Want to write a book? you would just do it.

I have a love-hate relationship with someone else's take on Enlightenment.  It can be misleading as well as inspiring to me.

Edited by Joseph Maynor