Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Curious

Using UN Goals as a guide to find my Life purpose VS relying fully on inner Wisdom

5 posts in this topic

Dear self-actualizers,

I want to share my current obstacle in the LP course: listening to your authentic self VS listening to wise guides
Doing the Life Purpose Course, the thing I find the most challenging is this dilemma between wanting to impact the world in a profound way but while doing something that I personally enjoy doing.
It gets confusing as my enjoyment of a particular endeavor seems dependent on the interest it brings to me, itself dependent on the quantity and the quality of the impact the activity i am doing produces.
Although I am trying to see what would be the most meaningful thing to create for the World, aka what brings more survival probability and enjoyment for us Humans and Life itself, I am not sure if thinking about it on my own and listening to my own feelings will really guide me as well as listening to a "network" of wise people.

Here comes the UN Sustainable Development Goals http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/
This seems and definitely should be a very solid plan to do the most good for our World. These people surely know their shit.
However, should I listen to my inner wisdom and feelings more, to be more authentic ?

Do you guys are having/have had similar troubles on your way to find your Life Purpose ? Any ideas to resolve, or play with, the paradox ?

Thanks for reading and commenting,
Best

UN SDG.png

Yes, you should listen to your inner wisdom. Your passion comes first, contribution follows from that. This is  crucial. You may love something seemingly silly like building lego sculptures. If that's the case, make that work for you. Thinking "but my passion doesn't help the world, I should do something more meaningful" is moralistic and counterproductive. Contribution is a big aspect of life purpose but your life purpose is for YOU, not for others.

Love ya,
Markus

Edited by Markus

20 minutes ago, Curious said:

Here comes the UN Sustainable Development Goals http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/
This seems and definitely should be a very solid plan to do the most good for our World. These people surely know their shit.

I'd really question the assumption that the UN knows what it's doing. Don't fall victim to the authority bias.

Anyway, if something on that list strikes you as important, fine. Start moving in that direction.

Your life purpose is about narrowing the infinite potential list of things you COULD DO into that small niche of a thing you ACTUALLY want to do.

So if you're just getting started, it's okay to go broad. You'll get more specific over time as you learn and development more self-awareness as to what you truly value. Just start moving.

Don't get fooled by nice sounding words and values when in reality the UN (or UNSC) help certain countries to act out war crimes without any punishment. I mean, why would Bush or Blair not be in jail? Because of the UNSC.

Thanks for your advice guys :)

@aurum @Markus Indeed I have a hard time separating passion from wisdom and impact. They all seem a bit intertwined for me, each "fed and feeding" each other, so in a sense all as important. Putting passion first is still hard for me, surely because of a lack of self-authenticity, although I am not quite sure how to get more in touch with that yet. I think I don't feel wise enough, and quite self-critical. Starting moving seems to be definitely the way, but I seem to be searching for the perfect of everything possible. And then I get depressed about the Universe's apparently incoming heat death :/

@Toby @aurum Yes indeed I agree, however I guess for those of us who don't have a reach into the global decision making process, we can only try to believe people we think/feel are doing the good.
The point was not precisely the UN as such, but the idea of a global community of wise people committed to the greatest good. And these goals seem quite legit, no? For example, Actualized.org and other well intentioned personal development guides are making a significant contribution to the 4th SDG goal of quality education (although we might disagree with the precise UN's recommendations, the vision seems good). And this forum can be an example of a network of wise people, as Leo discussed it in his academy of wisdom composed of sages (literally wise(hu)man). Maybe we could even build our separate Global policy making network 9_9 !

Best