Azote

New Year Resolutions or How do you handle big plans?

7 posts in this topic

When you do self-development work, you expect some life-changing shit to happen inevitably and frequently. Within a year you can totally reconsider your vision and values, "accidentally" fix neurotic roots or limiting beliefs in your goals, outgrow your current spiral dynamics stage etc.  Or some opportunities, inconceivable before, may show up. In other words, the good stuff messes up with your plans.

So you set some long-term goal and make a strategy. It might very well be a huge project with serious obligations and risks. Do you have any routine for evaluating goal's chances to stay relevant long enough and minimize time and resources waste? 

Do you plan your year or longer periods of time?  What's the "success" rate?

I had only one New year resolution for 2017 ("no more damn magic pills"). And it was kinda good. I discovered actualized.org this year, after all xD (thank you very much again, Leo! :) ).  But I want to do better (grow faster) in 2018. Should I go without any resolutions at all until I have my clear, "good enough", vision, or just the opposite?  

Apply consciousness to the burned area

The only thing I know for sure I'll do is going on a monodiet in January. I did it last year and ate only mungbeans and rice for 21 days and I felt fantastic. My thinking was sharp and if I get some of the same result next months I'll be sure to use that fuel properly this time around.

Once i get a goal i just go for it no special date but i do plan how i am going to do it 

@BjarkeT Do you usually achieve these goals? 

Apply consciousness to the burned area

Still working on it but I haven't given up yet i think it really give an advantage to embrace single tasking and add routines and rituals into your goals also time blocking (something I didn't do that much before)

the reason why i think they give an advantage is because without them it can be easy to get distracted and once you are distracted it can be hard to get back to do what you wanted to do depending on how difficult the task was and give it your full attention 

i mean you still have to put in the same effort in no matter what date you chose to do it

Edited by BjarkeT

Every day should should be a resolution. Only don’t choose what or how to resolve. Choice implies confusion. Just act

I intend to make use of the New Year as a natural new chapter for me.  It's almost like I'm behaving that way now -- trying to crunch before the year-end final exam.

Edited by Joseph Maynor