iTommy

"Reality is infinite" - What does this really mean?

16 posts in this topic

I've been wondering what it means that reality is infinite. What does this entail/mean? 

- Is it infinitely big? 

- Does it mean that everything even mystical creatures like physical pink unicorns exist?

- Does it mean that there are multiple (infinite?) Tommy's exactly like "my" body and ego, doing their thing and perceiving some sort of experience?

- Does it mean that "evil" does exist even though it's rather a perception/interpretation of content, because of reality being infinite? (I saw Leo's video on evil and it resonates with my interpretation of reality. I am bringing this up because I've had a discussion with someone saying that it does exist because it's a part of "reality".) Now, personally I think that it's all (sorta like) a dream, or atleast that's what enlightened people tend to say. So really in my mind I go "So all experience is just like a dream, an illusion of perceptions and experience. That means that nothing ever has been "real", nor is the current experience any different." But, then I also go "Well, sure it might be like a dream but it's all we know, so isn't it plausible to say that the content within reality/awareness is real? Maybe it might only be real from a human/animal perspective, but doesn't this mean that it is real in some sense? I mean there seems to be an experience that each individual has, sure those are subjective but subjectivity is all we know. Aren't those individual experiences real? - They seem to exist within awareness, otherwise there wouldn't be experience at all, right? So... maybe evil does exist within it."

I am very conflicted on the one above, since I am unsure what to classify as real or unreal. 

So... what does it really mean that reality is infinite? This is probably something to be experienced, but I hope that some of you can somehow verbally sorta put it into words.

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Reality = Nothing*. Nothing can't be limited, because it isn't physical. It doesn't have mass or energy or take up any space. 

*"Pure consciousness" is another way to describe it.

It doesn't mean that many-worlds theory is true, for instance. 

Edited by Will Bigger
Added an example for clarification

If 'Reality' is referring to That which one is in essence, then all descriptors are like disposable answers to a koan. Are there infinite potential relative points of view and experiences? It's sheer speculation, but probably safe to assume yes. Which are real, and which are illusory, seems very much a question of consensus. Are there infinite 'Tommys'?  Well, the case has been made that there isn't any Tommy at all, except insofar as it is imagined to be so. In which case, infinite Tommys seems a moot point.

@iTommy actual reality is the dreamer of this illusion. It is infinite in the sense, it is outside of our ways of thinking and measuring, as we do in the illusion, the strange loop. Ime, it is indeed, very, very, strange. ?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

22 hours ago, snowleopard said:

Are there infinite 'Tommys'?  Well, the case has been made that there isn't any Tommy at all, except insofar as it is imagined to be so. In which case, infinite Tommys seems a moot point.

Indeed the idea is that there is no "you", but here I rather mean multiple, maybe even infinite versions of the exact same human being - "me". That means multiple (different?) human beings with the exact same appearance as "me" and the same illusory ego. Maybe one Tommy sits right here at a PC typing this comment and somewhere else another Tommy plays a game on the same PC instead of typing this comment. So, I am hinting at infinite (all) scenarios within awareness happening all at once.

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

@iTommy  Yeah, I think I get what you mean, and it's actually an idea that has been given some credibility in the so-called 'many worlds' or 'parallel universe' theoies in quantum physics -- the idea being that, to some degree, every probability plays out. So, for example, if Tomminess is undecided about hanging with friends at a movie tonight, or staying home and reading a good book, then both events are played out in different 'worlds.'  I'm not sure how plausible this is, or if it can be extrapolated into infinite versions of Tomminess playing out infinite probable events.

In any case, I agree that, by whatever name, there are unlimited, unique individual points of view, experiences, expressions of That which one is in essence. And who knows, in its infinite creative potential, maybe even unlimited dreamed up realms in which each unique expression explores every possible path :)

Edited by snowleopard

@iTommy from what I understand, which is pretty limited, the math leans towards the many worlds theory, but the lab work seems to support the Copenhagen theory. I wonder, if all of the physicists involved focused all of their efforts on one theory, if it would become proven / true. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

I was about to make a post about this but I ran a search first and found this post heh.   Okay here goes:

Ive heard form is formlessness and formlessness is form and even though I kind of got it, now I realize I really didnt.

When I see something, anything, could be a sensation, perception, thought, or whatever... well its made out of nothing.  Theres also nothing around it.  And the thing is undefinable.

You cant grab onto it or limit it.  The thing is what the thing is.

Any intent to grab it, limit it, or define it is itself a conceptualization, an idea, or to put it another way, another undefinable thing in and of itself.

So everything ends up being infinite.

Which doesnt make sense cause that implies something can be finite.

But where are the boundaries?  They cant be found in reality and any boundaries that you make up are more infinite phenomena being overlayed on the reality.

When they say reality is infinite... I think they mean just that!  If you look close you can see it... and then it seems obvious after the fact.

Psychedelics help xD

My deepest insight so far, in regards to this, is that we are not talking about something else or out there. Reality is not something you are apart from. YOU are this reality. You are talking about yourself. You and the infinite are one and the same process. Whatever it is, that is you. For your real self there is no death, it is as much your life as it is the life of everyone else. 

This realization will at first be really shocking, to the ego. And then it sets you free. 

And yes, for me this also became obvious on a psychedelic trip. 3g of shrooms finely ground with lemon juice, fasted for 7days before :D

Anything that thought operates on, or fabricates, or reflects about, is reality