hinawashi

Journals: Go Public or Not?

7 posts in this topic

I keep a self-actualization journal mainly for myself, and for the most part it's bits and pieces of useful information and knowledge that I have accumulated from both outside sources and introspection. These journals are basically my own understandings of everything related to self-actualization like happiness and life purpose. My journal has always been how I kept track of my own growth and it's a live journal that's constantly being updated as I learn more things, so right now it's growing pretty fast. Also I think that keeping a journal is a great help, because it's like a library of ideas but since they're already my understandings, all I have to do is pull it out at the right place and right time and I'm all good to go.

Now the problem is, I've been trying to compile them into longer and more coherent articles so I could publish it as a blog of some sort. I've written a few of them already and the reactions were mixed, with the majority of readers completely unable to understand any of it. I'm having the feeling that people are starting to think I'm going nuts over all this self-actualization work, even though I'm hoping that it might actually end up transforming someone, like how I transformed in the first place. By no means I'm trying to convince people though, because as I said, it mainly serves as a reminder for myself to stay conscious, but if someone can understand and resonate with me that would be a nice bonus.

So should I publish more of my journal? Or should I just keep it all to myself?

1 hour ago, hinawashi said:

So should I publish more of my journal? Or should I just keep it all to myself?

Only you can answer that question. 

I sense a fear lurking in you.  Examine that.  Are you scared that people are going to judge you?  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor Yes. Fear has always been my greatest enemy. Though, I don't fear the writing itself, in fact I'm completely comfortable with everything I've written so far. What I am afraid of is people judging me. Well, it's not like I'm fearing that it will happen in the future, it's more of a certainty because it has already happened with my past writings, and I certainly don't like that. People tell me that I'm crazy and think too much, and I should stop thinking and stop writing and go with the flock and do what the flock does. Especially when what I write goes against common sense, I get ridiculed a lot. Nothing malicious though, it's just kind of... normal... from normal people, I guess?

5 hours ago, hinawashi said:

@Joseph Maynor Yes. Fear has always been my greatest enemy. Though, I don't fear the writing itself, in fact I'm completely comfortable with everything I've written so far. What I am afraid of is people judging me. Well, it's not like I'm fearing that it will happen in the future, it's more of a certainty because it has already happened with my past writings, and I certainly don't like that. People tell me that I'm crazy and think too much, and I should stop thinking and stop writing and go with the flock and do what the flock does. Especially when what I write goes against common sense, I get ridiculed a lot. Nothing malicious though, it's just kind of... normal... from normal people, I guess?

Everybody here is just as scared as you are.  Just put yourself out there.  That’s how you’ll grow fastest.  If you hold it in, you can’t grow.   So, just develop an I don’t give a fuck kind of an attitude.  Everyone here is embarrassed to some extent, but we’re all doing it, so the shame is minimized.  Openness will make you grow so much so fast.   You’ll catch some shit too — but just ignore those posts.  Your mission is to grow.  To grow, you gotta break yourself open so people can have a look inside.  Then you’ll get some great feedback and you’ll develop more and more awareness.  If you hold it in, you are here but not here, if that makes sense.  You wanna get the most outta your participation on here.  We’re all in the same Personal Development boat.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Being conscious is the point. As Maynor said don’t get caught in subjective reactions. These reactions will only prevent a mind from becoming orderly. 

It’s good to come on here but this is more of a place to communicate this new journey u have started. 

Maybe a few that point you in a good direction but mostly this journey is yours alone. I wouldn’t think so much about self improvement. More of a process of self learning. 

Self learning will improve the quality of life dramatically. 

When u get to a point where u ask the question can “I” actually improve myself ???

Then your on to something

Edited by Faceless

@Joseph Maynor Thanks for the great advice! Yeah, I really should put openness to the test. The reason I could grow so fast is to live out all the knowledge I have absorbed. I mean that's actually the reason there's just so much stuff I could write on and ideas are just swirling around my head because by putting all the knowledge into my life makes them feel very real and personal. I think the same goes with openness too, I can only get it nailed by practicing it.

So the conclusion is, I'm gonna publish more of them in my blog, and we'll see where it will take me...