egoless

Ways to develop strategic thinking

35 posts in this topic

What do you consider the best ways and exercises for your mind to develop strategic thinking. What books and other sources do you recommend? Do you know any youtube channels which specialize in strategic analysis - which could benefit to develop your skill. 

Being strategic is perhaps at the core of becoming a self-actualized person, as it lets us repeatedly make the difficult, but right choices. Imagine yourself becoming a strategic person, picture that person in your mind and try to mirror it (some LOA here). Also try to be aware of when you add emotion to a decision, as this is the greatest downfall on the path to becoming a strategic person. The attachments of emotions to your decisions are usually habitual, catch them as a decision is being made and make the right one instead. Your brain almost gamifies this process, which helps remove some of the emotion of self-judgment and subsequent defensiveness associated with facing one's faulty decision-making.

@In Progress good insight. There is also logic vs intuition paradox when making strategic decisions. Logical attitude tends to be precise but very slow. Downfall maybe overthinking the details. On the other hand intuitionsl approach offers more holistic view and decisions are made faster. The downside however may be the risk of errors.

Did you waste tons of time playing strategic games? Chess, go (like me), or even modern computer or boardgames? 

If so, contemplate parallels (and differences) between the games and life. That's a nice exercise. 

@Elisabeth whole my early childhood. I was self taught chess player and often held victories against trained chess players. I always prefered strategic games yes.

Do you recommend any game in particular?

Edited by egoless

23 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

M.A.X.

Deepest strategy game of all time:

https://www.gog.com/game/m_a_x_m_a_x_2

P.S. M.A.X. 2 sucks

Do you play it to develop your analytical mind? What do you do to master strategical thinking? How do you train for it?

14 minutes ago, egoless said:

Do you play it to develop your analytical mind? What do you do to master strategical thinking? How do you train for it?

I played it for many hundreds of hours as a kid. Helped to hone my long-range strategic thinking skills.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I played it for many hundreds of hours as a kid. Helped to hone my long-range strategic thinking skills.

How do you battle the lack of focus and narrow specialization issues we as INTPs face? I think INTPs are ideal strategists but the worst enemy we have is lack of focus within the field of strategy. While big picture thinking is so essential sometimes it is also necessary to become details oriented and execute your strategy precisely.

Edited by egoless

@egoless There's good and bad news.

The only enemy is yourself ;)

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@egoless There's good and bad news.

The only enemy is yourself ;)

Yes I know that. But how do you battle these traits in you? Lack of concentration and precise execution without wondering in all directions. I mean when doing strategies. For example in business.

Edited by egoless

6 hours ago, egoless said:

But how do you battle these traits in you? Lack of concentration and precise execution without wondering in all directions. I mean when doing strategies. For example in business.

Just do it. There is no how.

You need to learn how to just start taking action. And the only way to do that is by doing it.

@egoless Reminds me of a scene from a movie "My Cousin Vinny".

Vinny: My clients were caught completely by surprise. They thought they were getting arrested for shoplifting a can of tuna.
Judge Haller: What are you telling me? That they plead not guilty?
Vinny: No. I'm just trying to explain.
Judge Haller: I don't want to hear explanations. The state of Alabama has a procedure. And that procedure is to have an arraignment. Are we clear on this?
Vinny: Yes, but there seems to be a great deal of confusion here. You see, my clients...
Judge Haller: Uh, Mr. Gambini?
[Motions for him to approach the bench]
Judge Haller: All I ask from you is a very simple answer to a very simple question. There are only two ways to answer it: guilty or not guilty.
Vinny: But your honor, my clients didn't do anything.
Judge Haller: Once again, the communication process broken down. It appears to me that you want to skip the arraignment process, go directly to trial, skip that, and get a dismissal. Well, I'm not about to revamp the entire judicial process just because you find yourself in the unique position of defending clients who say they didn't do it.
Judge Haller: The next words out of your mouth better be "guilty" or "not guilty." I don't want to hear commentary, argument, or opinion. If I hear anything other than "guilty" or "not guilty", you'll be in contempt. I don't even want to hear you clear your throat. Now, how do your clients plead?
Vinny: I think I get the point.
Judge Haller: No, I don't think you do. You're now in contempt of court.
Judge Haller:Would you like to go for two counts.
Vinny: Not guilty.
Judge Haller: Thank you.

"Wondering in all directions". Exactly, has Leo broken into your place to install OneNote yet ^_^. Not that I'm necessarily any better.

You don't need strategic thinking. Who is the thinker? It's all mind and you are not that. Stop pretending :)

Leo says the name of a 40 hour course in his how to be a strategic motherfucker video.