AdamDiC

Juggling Paradigms.

10 posts in this topic

After watching Leo's paradigm video and then doing psilocybin mushrooms I came to the conclusion that I am constantly switching between paradigms of thought.

I experienced this my last mushroom trip when I was having some profound insights but because of lack of planning was disturbed and pulled back into reality. This resulted in an ego backlash (depression) because i did not have any time to integrate the insights into reality. I was harshly pulled back. 

So what I am struggling with now is the Paradigm of Self-actualization (mainstream self help, visualization, affirmations, self esteem work) and Non-duality paradigm. I have been meditating for 10 months now and have been influenced by my meditation teacher to not drift from my basic minfulness meditation practice. It seems secular and limiting but he has a point. I dont fully understand what I'm doing yet, I've had slight insights from meditation and should stick to it. So when i think about doing self-help, all i can think about is my teacher, ruining my practice, and how I'm distracting myself from the spiritual path and gaining Awareness.

On the other hand, I know I am a zen devil. Its easy for me to dismiss people, judge thier unconsciousness, be angry. I'm pretty undeveloped as a self. I lack confidence around girls. Social skills and self esteem are questionable and I dont have a vision for my life, or a life purpose. Can i expect most of this to autocorrect with awarenss? Are these just ego backlashes from my practice?

I do want to commit to life long actualizing, but from my point on the path. I'm confused. According to my meditation teacher I should dismiss this nonsense and keep meditating. It's just some monkey mind pulling me away from the present moment.

Spiritual paradigm and self help paradigm.

Please let me know what you think.

@AdamDiC Dismiss what nonsense?

Meditation is just one component of development. You definitely will be missing out on a lot of stuff if all you do is meditation. That is not enough, and it will produce a lopsided, half-baked development.

There's nothing confusing here. Meditate your ass off if you like, but also be learning and growing in other fields as well. This is just common sense. Meditation will not make you good in relationships, social skills, life purpose, career, communication skills, understanding of society, etc.

Yes, meditation can be very powerful, but it shouldn't be your only tool.

Self-help and nonduality are not really in conflict. They can dove-tail beautifully.

Self-help doesn't have to mean that you drift from your mindfulness practice.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Thanks Leo. 

Ya you’re right. I have to develope as a whole. 

I’m just a bit overwhelmed right now and it feels like I should stick to meditation. 

My advice would be slow down a bit and focus on the few areas that you think you need the most help or need to learn. I think you are biting off too much , too soon and too fast.  Take things in slower in a  more directed and purposeful manner.   Digest them in a slow and methodicaly. look at what you focus on in different ways and at different angles.  Make a plan and focus your attention to get better results.

We meditate to shine awareness on existence but the other disciplines give you something to shine your new found awareness on.  They both go hand in hand. Stop going the fast sloppy way , Instead Go slower with fewer focus points so that you can really chew and get everything out of what you are doing. After you master or get in good place with your current  practices acquire another one. You will concentrate you efforts and get better effects. 

The world is moving so fast and it is killing our ability to focus in a constructive and meaningful way. Eliminate  distractions and Make a plan.  Be deliberate and willful in your inquiry of life. 

“In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.”
― Mortimer J. Adler

I would also recommend using the Mortimer Adler method  for reading books if you do not want to actually write in the book get a small note book.

Edited by Source_Mystic

I no longer advocate, participate, condone, or support  actualized.org or Leo Gura in anyway. The reasons are left in the few post I left behind. 

@AdamDiC There's nothing wrong with selective focus for periods of time.

Maybe for the next month you should just stick with meditation. Then once that habit gets locked in, you can come back and study other things.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@AdamDiC meditation & contemplation, healthy eating, and exercise are the foundation - the ticket just to get in. Take you’re time. If you keep the practices going, you’ll start seeing more and more in your normal day to day life. 

Careful not to identify (as little as possible) with your body & brain. That is not what you are.  Thought patterns holding body & brain behind “me” and “I”, cause suffering. Nothing is actually happening ‘to you’ as in, the body & brain. That is not you. Nothing could ever happen to what you really are. You  can’t be tarnished, discouraged, or lacking in anything. Everything is happening perfectly as it should be. Look for that perspective. 

Also - a meditation teacher is a great thing to have, and you’ve got Leo here, of course - miraculously always accessible. Make sure you have at least a few more (online / YouTube / etc) so you’re developing your own frame of reference. Helps with sorting out what benefits you, what works for you, etc. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

2 hours ago, Source_Mystic said:

The world is moving so fast and it is killing our ability to focus in a constructive and meaningful way. Eliminate  distractions and Make a plan.  Be deliberate and willful in your inquiry of life. 

@Source_Mystic I have to agree with you on that one. I have to relax and realize i have my whole life ahead of me to actualize. Thanks

@Nahm To answer the first question: I want the best life I can get. I want to feel alive everday and know that life is mine for the taking. I want to love everyone and be free of this crippling ego. You knooow the good stuff. ;)

To your second post: Ya im fairly new, just started being vegan and daily reading. As for meditation its just begun to deepen for me. So i'll just ride this wave until i feel in control because honeslty, like you said to not identify with body and mind, I've overcome some bodily attachments but I'm still a slave to my thoughts. A lot of negative thinking, worrying, doubting, FEAR. It's a roller coaster ride so I'll try my best and be present. Thanks!

@AdamDiC  check your mail box that is about all the help I can currently give you. Until I do a meditation thread. It seems a lot of people are having problems with meditation. I just do not have the time currently to sit down and write a extensive post on meditation. what I sent you I think can help a lot though.

Good luck,  feel free to drop me a message.  If I can help I will

I no longer advocate, participate, condone, or support  actualized.org or Leo Gura in anyway. The reasons are left in the few post I left behind.