Maxx

Who are your favorite philosophers and why?

13 posts in this topic

I am curious about your favorites. Here are mine:

1. Nagarjuna: Nagarjuna is the most influential Buddhist philosopher after Buddha Shakyamuni himself. He gave some final answers on the question of the nature of "reality".

2. Arthur Schopenhauer: Schopenhauer is in my opinion one of the best epistemologists in history. He was quite neurotic and his central work "The World as Will and Representation" is badly written (too complicated and with too many latin and ancient greek phrases). But nonetheless it is a brilliant work. This guy was what I would call a mastermind.

3. Heraclitus: A brilliant man. What I like about him is that he wanted to put fundamental truths in just a simple and sometimes even a seemingly trivial sentence. I give you one example: when Heraclitus was asked about the size of the sun, he replied: "The sun has the width of a human foot." A trivial, at first glance an almost stupid answer. But when you really look at his answer, it contains a fundamental truth. He leaves it up to you to contemplate about it, knowing that just giving you a formal answer doesn't cause much growth. Heraclitus represents how a good philosopher should be like. Not intellectual, but simple and contemplative, and talking about fundamental and "eternal" things.

These are my top three. Other great philosophers I like: Thales of Milet, Anaximander, and Friedrich Nietzsche.

Of course there are other great philosophers, but they were great because of the influence they had on the development of human civilization. I am talking about philosophers like Aristotle and Plato here. Their philosophy was rather "practical", but not very "fundamental" or let's say mystic in my opinion.

If people who are supposed to be teachers are lacking Buddha mind, it is a great mistake to follow them, just because of being attracted perhaps by their fame and personal charisma. It is evident that the blind can not be led by those who are themselves “blind guides”. 

~ Kangyur Rinpoche

1.Marcus Aurelius - I have only read half of his work. What I have read of his I have enjoyed.

He is sharp with his words. Most of it reads in a poetic way. The advice seems practical, I would think if I took action to some of the principals given in the book the quality of my life would improve.

@Maxx 

Alan Watts

• Cuts through the bullshit of western philosophers

Seneca

• Stoicism, how to get the good life 

Marcus Aurelius

• Same as Seneca

Spinoza

• For providing us the concepts of guiding the human intellect when you are in a state of uncertainty

Plato

• For the Socratic Dialogues 

Socrates

• Because of his character, thirst for knowledge and the socratic method

Nietzsche

• For willing to be more skeptical than other philosophers, being willing to challenge what we think about ourselves, not only about the world

Bertrand Russell

• Even though he is much of an analytic philosopher, he has some nice writings on things such as "The Value of Philosophy" and the pursuit of happiness

Foucault

• For his approach on the human subject in the classic "Hermeneutics of the Subject"
    • attaining knowledge through the transformation of the subject itself versus learning it through being shown to you
Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

George Berkeley knocked it out of the ballpark. Trouble is, he was so right, no one really believed him. Lol. Oh well, at least they named a university after him.

The closer philosophy get to truth, the less credible it sounds.

Also, Pyrrho Of Elia, Sextus Empiricus, Plotinus, Spinoza, Thomas Kuhn, Paul Feyerband.

As far as understanding the ultimate nature of reality, they guys got the furthest in the West.

"Let him that would move the world first move himself." -- Socrates

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

George Berkeley knocked it out of the ballpark. Trouble is, he was so right, no one really believed him. Lol

The closer philosophy get to truth, the less credible it sounds.

Also, Pyrrho Of Elia, Sextus Empiricus, Plotinus, and Paul Feyerband.

As far as understanding the ultimate nature of reality, they guys got the furthest in the West.

I have never heard of of George Berkeley and Paul Feyerband. I will check them out. Thanks. Plotinus is good. His "Enneades" are probably one of the earliest "systematic" works in the west about non-duality. After Parmenides "On nature" maybe. As far as I know. Don't miss Anaximander's central philosophical theme, the apeiron, which sounds very much like the things you say. :)

If people who are supposed to be teachers are lacking Buddha mind, it is a great mistake to follow them, just because of being attracted perhaps by their fame and personal charisma. It is evident that the blind can not be led by those who are themselves “blind guides”. 

~ Kangyur Rinpoche

@Maxx I mention Aperion in my video about Absolute Infinity - Part 1 or 2, forget which. Probably 2.

"Let him that would move the world first move himself." -- Socrates

Perception before the action of thought 

Philosophy=the love of truth and to live with what is actual 

“A good teacher protects his pupil from his own influence. A teacher is never a giver of truth; he is a guide, a pointer to the truth that each student must find for himself. I am not teaching you anything. I just help you explore yourself.”   BL & JK

Edited by Faceless

Ludwig Wittgenstein -- He realized the error of Foundationalism in his later work

GWF Hegel -- He saw the error in the foundationalism of Kant.  He tried to fix it by using a historical approach

Will Durant -- Was clearly influenced by Hegel's mission of explaining Philosophy in terms of the historical approach

Henri Bergson -- He realized that we think in metaphors

Socrates -- Revealed and taught us the Socratic Method of contemplation 

Francis Bacon -- Put Epistemology at the center of Philosophy

Immanuel Kant -- Put the Philosophy of Mind at the center of Philosophy

Aristotle -- Developed an influential model for how expository prose should be written

Jean-Jacques Rousseau -- Realized that vocalizations are more fundamental than writing

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Cease to cherish opinions.  Don’t give a sh*t so much about your own mental life.  Let the thoughts be, but don’t grasp onto them.  Just observe the thoughts come and go, don't grasp onto them and make more thoughts.  As soon as you try to grasp on, they have something to feed on.  And this creates a never-ending cycle.  Let reality do its thing, just observe it.  This makes the Ego dissolve because you're not grasping at it.

Hegel - because he offered the end to philosophy by bringing it to the next evolution. (Consider, before philosophy there were the mysteries, what comes after philosophy?)

Steiner - because his epistemology, again, clinches the deal by actually realising itself - and thus becoming enlightenment.  Its a shame his philosophical career was cut short by other jobs he had to do.

Since no one can actually throw something at me online.....Ester Hicks.

🎨

Who dat?

Does search....

Oi!,  she's cheating , its not her philosophy, its theirs.

Therefore shes not a philosopher anymore than google is.

Your motion is disqualified. ☺

Alan Watts, Lao Tzu, Plato are some of my favourites and of course Siddhārtha Gautama.

All is well

🕉