rorghee

how do I get re motivated to meditate

10 posts in this topic

I have been meditating for about a year and a half and im starting to lose interest in the practice, I'm guessing because I've not seen much result of it in a while. It's been feeling like a chore like I procrastinate it until I have to go to sleep and usually I'll just do 20 mins instead of what I used to do which was 30 mins. During my meditations I easily get stuck in monkey mind because sitting in the moment seems boring and I've realised I can't think my way out of thinking or will myself out of it, so most of my meditations are just sitting and thinking and accepting it and it has become boring and it's causing me to nearly stuff up my habit I've built up. So every time I got to sit it feels like I'm just doing it unconsciously because I have to do it, I haven't looked forward to meditating for about a year now, even if the meditation has been being good

I've tried rewatching videos to get me back into it and it kinda works for a bit but not really and I can't get my hands on dmt or whatever because of age and I don't know how

i also can see that it's partly because i unconsciously think that real enjoyment and happiness can be attained from external things rather than getting it from the inside, what should I contemplate? I tried 'happiness and value can't be got from external things' and 'others opinions don't matter' but I end up deluding myself

@rorghee

When there is a lot of monkey mind, that means there are a lot of beta brain waves present in the brain. I recommend you add some variety to your meditation routine by adding meditation with headphones combined with brainwave entrainment. (theta/alfa brain waves) I have a playlist with some of these audios in this post:

With this tecnique you Will be able to sink into deeper meditation states. When you use psychadelics, the brainwaves slow down and that is the same effect that you can get with brainwave entrainment.

Also I recommend you start meditating everyday in the morning. Everyday at the same time. Decide on a timeframe and stick to it every day. That way the meditation routine becomes more integrated. There is a big difference between saying :" I Will meditate today" and saying "I Will meditate today at 6.30AM for 30 minutes". Meditate everyday as part of your morning routine. So, don't wait for some spare time to meditate, create time to meditate.

As for your last paragraph, I would say that you need to become more in tune with your emotions. Don't accept this belief that true happiness comes from the inside, actually experiment and test to confirm this by your direct experience. Pay attention how external fixes can never fulfill you and how the internal happiness (gratitude, inner peace, kindness, contribution, inner growth (releasing what does not serve you anymore), learning...) does always bring you into a better state. Then you Will be able to base your decisions on personal experience and that Will be the perfect grounding for better decision making.

Edited by AleksM

@AleksM thank you and just from reading you say 'don't accept this belief' it's opened my eyes to see that im forcing that belief on myself without any experience. I'll definitely try your playlist aswell, also how can I become more in tune with my emotions? What practical things can I do? And won't this amplify negative emotions in some cases if I just let myself be negative

@rorghee

I'll second what @AleksM said about doing it first thing every morning. That has worked beautifully for me.

However, you may not be energetically in a place where you can handle a daily meditation practice of 30 minutes. Try just 20 minutes and build from there over time.

Have you tried guided meditations? I use them every time I feel like I'm in a meditation rut. Or play with another technique.

To remotivate yourself, visualize how much growth and positive change this can bring toyour life. Listen to other people and what their experience with the benefits of meditation is like. That can give you a taste of what it can lead to.

This worked for me to commit to it 100%

Edited by Max_V

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

I think you should examine your fundamental assumptions about what meditation is, and what it's goals are. Consider your level of "acceptance", as you mention, during meditation. Is this acceptance in the form of thoughts, or can you surrender your concentrations to the deeper feeling of aware-here-now?

Also, the comparative aspect of your experience is an Achilles heel in and of itself. Judging one sitting as superior to another is futile. The result is ultimately not the point. True meditation happens when you can recede to the point where you merely observe.

Motivation can be a wavy rollercoaster though, and be difficult to balance.

@rorghee Yes!

Welcome to the plateau of boredome.

It's a phase you have to go through. Unfortunately, growth is not linear. Live with it. As long as you're sitting, you're making progress. Know this. 

And double up your meditation time! Meditate 20 minutes in the morning and 20 in the evening. BAM! 40 minutes total. Work your way up from there. 

Also, try strong determination sits. These really boosted my meditations. Try one our sits. Sometimes one has to experience extreme boredom and physical uncomfort to train meditation muscles. 

Your mind is taking you over and you are giving into it. You're creating excuses. Just sit and shut up. Bite the bullet. Real growth comes when you pass the threshold. 

And this one:

https://youtu.be/EHI1aPUxs4s

Edited by Vitamine Water

The art is to look without looking 

@rorgheeIm about to drop some seriously deep Eckhart Tolle technique for you.

In meditation (which is any moment you are conscious), ask yourself the question:

At this moment, how do I know I have a body?

And go to the experience. 

Eckhart says to look no further than the body (this symbol of impermanence) to find our deeper nature beyond form which is eternal.

Observe the body. If you find that in any way you internally don't want yo be where you are or not want to be doing what you are, know that this is the 'Pain body'. You only need to observe the pain body - nothing else. It will dissolve by itself. 

This is Eckhart's moment to moment practice that you can do. And no, you don't need to be sitting. In fact I've found great joy in Standing meditation. Also it's healthier to stand! Break the rules, gold or no gold. Dont be mechanical. 

Edited by Dodo

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟