Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cameron

If I'm enlightened, would I care if I got shot?

12 posts in this topic

Something I'm confused about and it's something that comes up in conversion when I talk to people about enlightenment is...

If everything is nothing and there are no values, morals, ethics, who's etc...
"Who" is there, to say no to me shooting you in the head right now?
If you are seriously enlightened. When my gun is pointed at your head and I ask "Can I shot?" What is the answer and why?
If the answer is "Doesn't matter if you shoot. I'm enlightened". Can we actually arrange this to happen. Like get Eckhart Tolle or something. He's enlightnened, I'm sure he's happy to do it. Because it's easy to talk about all this. If you're so sure about it let, hold you're feet to the fire and let me shoot you Leo.

I understand this is pretty full on. I am interested in an actual answer to this though. Thank you in advance.

Please tell me what I'm missing?! :)

I argue for the contrary. Enlightenment doesn't mean you lose interest in taking care of your physical body. After awakening, you care more about your humanity and life on this planet. It's pretty easy for most people enlightened or not to say no to that question :)

When you understand why you don't want your avatar in your favorite video game to get shot, you will understand why an enlightened person doesn't want to get shot.

The desire to get shot is an egotistical fantasy that you have concocted because you cannot see the beauty of the Grand Illusion in which you presently find yourself.

If you were conscious, you would be spending your time thinking of how to participate in infinite creation and advancing the consciousness of mankind, not posing stupid questions about shooting people.

As you are a materialist, I could pose you a similarly stupid question: Why not stab yourself in the arm? After all, science tells you it's just inanimate matter. Quarks and stuff. Mostly empty space. And objectively speaking, pain is just some impulses in some neurons in a brain. So who cares? Scientifically-speaking, there should be no problem for you to stab yourself in the arm with a fork. Scientifically-speaking, there is no reason for you to be alive, since, after all, the entire universe will eventually undergo heat-death anyway. So all your science and scientific progress and technology and society is totally pointless. You might as well kill yourself now and save the hassle. Scientifically-speaking, there is no reason why your suffering matters any more than a goat's suffering in Africa. So by this logic, there is no reason why we cannot slaughter human beings like goats. That's science right there. You can't argue with science.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Nothing wants to die, only ego.

But if someone is robbing you and pointing a gun to your head, it is up to them if they pull the trigger. Don't interact with egos, that will most probably get you shot.

@Leo Gura I do apologize for the "stupid questions". They aren't stupid, you're trying to wake me up. (Appreciate it) I didn't want to have silly questions on the forum however I just couldn't get around this idea. I see how these thoughts come from materialist mindset. Thanks for replying. Appreciate all you do. Seem a massive improvement in my stress, frustration, anger, relationships, compassion and more. I've told many people about the videos. They have watched some and told others about them too. Love your work. You'l be a person looked back on who made a massive difference to the world.

Edited by Cameron

@Cameron Just because there is a loss of fear of death, doesn't mean that there is a loss of appreciation for life. In any true examples of the awakened state, there seems to be an awakening of the heart that compels one toward a life of compassion, to be a clear example of what is possible. So in that sense, there is perhaps more reason to live and love than ever. And whenever the death of the body-form comes, as it inevitably will, then it can be accepted with equanimity and grace, knowing that it was a life lived well fulfilled. I'm not seeing how some pointless death would serve that cause.

These answers don't make sense to me so how stuck am I in my paradigm. Must be that.

Edited by Cameron

Actually, I’m gonna commend you, I  think this is a very good question.  It’s the kind of question a smart newbie should ask.  The answer is that your experiences can have a connection.  But that doesn’t mean that there are things behind the scenes.  All there is are the experiences.  So, you gotta figure out how your beliefs are adding to the experienced phenomena.  This is what Enlightenment teaches you about.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I’m being a Zen Devil. Just watched that video. All good. Thanks for the replies!

10 hours ago, Cameron said:

Please tell me what I'm missing?! :)

Wisdom.  An enlightened person still would look both ways before crossing the street.

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

On 12/7/2017 at 9:38 PM, Leo Gura said:

When you understand why you don't want your avatar in your favorite video game to get shot, you will understand why an enlightened person doesn't want to get shot.

?? Thats a fact