znet

Could you share your metaphor for the ego?

13 posts in this topic

I believe I'm almost putting the pieces together when it comes to understanding the concepts of the ego, true self, reality, determinism, etc. But right now I'm struggling to understand how to best put this actualization into practice. In other words, I'm wondering at what level I ("my" ego) can influence my life? Is in the ego's power to define the rules for my true self to live by? If so, it's all about redefining these rules and getting out of the way so my true self can be most of the time in a flow state?

If you have some metaphor for the ego that could help me understand it please do share it, I would very much appreciate it :)

Edited by znet
typo

The ego is like the retarded cousin of your family.

Except it is infinitely more retarded and you identify to it.

Good luck !

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@znet The ego is like the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Take Spiderman. If you think about him, you have thoughts, feelings. They’re real, right? Real thoughts, feeling, real image of a red and blue lycra suit. But Spiderman is not real. Spiderman does not exist. He is not part of reality. The thoughts and images are—but he isn’t.

Self is exactly the same as this. Exactly the same. What arise are thoughts, feelings and sensations in the body. They are real thoughts and feelings. But an actual self? That’s not real. Self does not exist. You are not part of reality. The thoughts and images about you are—but a being that is living life? Thinking thoughts? No. There’s nothing there 

Gateless Gatecrashers

Sarcaste <3 the Sarcasm in Me acknowledges and honors the Sarcasm in You 

I could make a hundred and one for sure...permanent toddler? or...pathetic-perpetually-unhappy-puppy-pretending to be happy? ....how about...Hot air inflated or deflated dragon (inflation is based on mood/ other's around...lol...) ...a book of lies...a wolf in sheep's clothing...a wine glass in 100 layers of bubble wrap lost in a tornado....a ball of slime wrapped in silk, draped in velvet, then dipped in chocolate, inside an armoured box, none of which exists...lol....

@znet A machine that requires constant lubrication from pride, praise, possessions, success, ect.

11 hours ago, znet said:

I believe I'm almost putting the pieces together when it comes to understanding the concepts of the ego, true self, reality, determinism, etc. But right now I'm struggling to understand how to best put this actualization into practice. In other words, I'm wondering at what level I ("my" ego) can influence my life? Is in the ego's power to define the rules for my true self to live by? If so, it's all about redefining these rules and getting out of the way so my true self can be most of the time in a flow state?

If you have some metaphor for the ego that could help me understand it please do share it, I would very much appreciate it :)

Ego: other-than-practices.

For Now.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

11 hours ago, znet said:

The ego is a mirage.  We take what is happening and assign some of it to the "ego" and some to a "truth self".  Neither exists...they are figments of the imagination (i.e. thought).  Things happen and there is identification with it - my thoughts, my words, my actions.  That is ego.  The ego is the doer.  But that "my" and "doer" is a fiction.  The ego like a mirage...what is perceived is taken for something it is not.  In a mirage, refracted light off of hot air is mistaken to be water.

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

A necessary evil. 

Edited by Spiral

Ego is the best plagiarist... It copies everything from the existence.

First, it claims to exist when it really doesn't... It also takes the ownership of all actions and says 'I am the one who is doing it, I am the one who is running the show, I am the doer...

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

Ego is the character you play, the mask you wear.

B R E A T H E