Chrissy j

Should I finish college?

24 posts in this topic

I don't want anyone to decide for me of course but what I do need help with is the decision making process like pros and cons. I feel college is great cause I get knowledge. I could finish my psychology major, but from the two classes I took (one in high school, and the one I'm about to finish this semester) it seems good but personal development seens 10x more powerful then what psych majors learn about human behavior. Psychology majors aren't going to get as much out of human potential as the yogis or self help junkies. But I don't want to miss out on anything. Or I could drop out and just look for my LP while I work a job. I don't know. That would be nice cause I HATE some of school. Some of this stuff I learn like math is cool on one hand but not something I need or really want to study. General education doesn't seem to be something I need to study.  I'm kind of confused and all over the place. I know my life's purpose is not going to be found in a degree also.  Will I have more time on my hands working a full time job to pursue the important things to me? Or would college be a good option for efficient searching for my life purpose? College seems to take up a lot of time. Any advice would help.

22 minutes ago, Chrissy j said:
23 minutes ago, Chrissy j said:

I'm kind of confused and all over the place. I know my life's purpose is not going to be found in a degree also.

How do you know this if you are yet to find your LP?

I wiill encourage you to be mindful of whether you are wanting to drop out college because of the difficult aspects  associated with it or if  its because you really know its not the path you need to be on at this stage?

Also, you mentioned you do not want to 'miss out'. What exactly are you worried about missing out on?

I am no expert but i hope asking your self these questions helps a bit. x

Do Leo’s Life Purpose Course if you haven’t done it yet.  Nows the time for you!  You need more awareness into who you are, what you really have to offer, and what you really want.  It’s amazing how confused we are about this.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

4 hours ago, Chrissy j said:

Will I have more time on my hands working a full time job to pursue the important things to me? Or would college be a good option for efficient searching for my life purpose? College seems to take up a lot of time

You could potentially do it either way. But I will say that you're likely to have more flexibility in college than a job.

In college, you are more or less in complete control of what you're going to study. You're a free man, despite the responsibilities that come from actually taking courses.

That freedom is what allows you to follow your natural curiosities, which leads to LP.

With a job you'll mostly just have to do your job description. Nothing wrong with that, but you certainly will not have much flexibility unless you get a new job.

The Pro side of getting a job is that you'll get real world experience, not book experience. And that can be 10x more important.

So if you do get a job, choose it from a perspective of taking a college class. You're just following your curiosity and what seems interesting to learn.

14 hours ago, Chrissy j said:

it seems good but personal development seens 10x more powerful then what psych majors learn about human behavior

if you wanna do something out of your degree, or at least use it as a skill reference, or at least use what you know for a hobby, then it's definitely worth doing.

additionally, the way college is setup in most places anyway - it's a lot easier to have social activity, exercise, food, and reliable shelter without fretting about it, and other things too - college is great not just for the education but also for the chance to practice and learn responsibility. you want personal development? unless you're going crazy with it and becoming a monk to transcend consiousness - then college is literally the perfect environment to start. 

furthermore - every person trained in psych is trained in the way you're learning in college. not in the way you're learning in personal development. if you want to be able to talk with them, in their paradigm - learn it. it isn't a "wrong" paradigm - and it's got a hundred years of history proving it's meaningful and applicable to many people. not learning it seems like a poor decision if you wanna work as a psych professional, or use psych understanding in your work - even if you don't want to be a psych professional, there are many ways in which understanding the psych knowledge can be very useful. in fact, I bet if you thought about it, knowing the psych teachings even tho they seem useless now, can easily wrap into your understanding from personal development. even if you feel the conclusions are innacurate, they're still backed by research, and happen. 

@Chrissy j Are you going into debt? Are you going to use your degree? A degree doesn't guarantee success. Research all the options and make a decision. 

The unborn Lord has many incarnations. BPHS 

I feel like what I learn in college though I could learn on my own. It is good stuff but life would be more beautiful without school I feel. I just don't like taking classes and being forced to do these things. I like to just self educate. This is where it is hard to decide because I don't want to make the wrong decision when dropping out. 

1 hour ago, Chrissy j said:

I feel like what I learn in college though I could learn on my own. It is good stuff but life would be more beautiful without school I feel. I just don't like taking classes and being forced to do these things. I like to just self educate. This is where it is hard to decide because I don't want to make the wrong decision when dropping out. 

How long would you have to study for from now? Do you have to go into dept?

@Chrissy j I can assure you that whatever knowledge you think you are getting from college, you can easily get from the internet. Universities will always try to sell you that you can get what you get from university what you can't get elsewhere. But that's just how universities stay in business.

Btw, I know this first hand because I'm in my final year as a philosophy student. I didn't drop out for multiple valid reasons though. Your situation seems to be different.

Unless you want to counsel people, I don't see any reason to do it. If you don't NEED the diploma for what you want to do and if the repercussions from dropping out aren't massive, I suggest you drop out. You're just wasting time and money otherwise.

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@vibrate If I do stay it'll be another 7 semesters at the least. I'm a freshman done with first semester next week. 

ok that's a long time and worth pondering to drop out. If after just one semester you even play with the thought, it's probably worth looking elsewhere.

I'm usually very pro-education and have profited immensely from my studies, some of them I probably would not do again (including my psychology-bachelor!)

@vibrate I think I really want to go into this PD/sage direction with LP so psychology would be good to back that up. I'm just afraid that if I don't go now I'll miss out on what I can learn here and I won't have the credentials I need to talk about psychology to others. But I just don't like it. I learn so much on my own.  Same with not getting a college degree. I fear not having that status up behind me. Will not going really effect me all that much knowledge wise??

1 minute ago, Chrissy j said:

@vibrate I think I really want to go into this PD/sage direction with LP so psychology would be good to back that up. I'm just afraid that if I don't go now I'll miss out on what I can learn here and I won't have the credentials I need to talk about psychology to others. But I just don't like it. I learn so much on my own.  Same with not getting a college degree. I fear not having that status up behind me. Will not going really effect me all that much knowledge wise??

1 minute ago, Chrissy j said:

Knowledge-wise ou are better off stuyding on your own. In my oppinion, there is not too much there in school-psychology (at least I was disappointed) But you will probably always be taken more seriously with a degree to back you up.

@Chrissy j A job would allow you more time to think about your life purpose. 

@Chrissy j With a job all you have to do is perform the duties while you're there. You could come home and work on your life purpose. In college, you have study many hours outside of class. 

If you got enrolled in any course in your college, you must have had some thought or plan as to why you are pursuing it. But because of some discomfort if you drop it, it won't be a great idea. It doesn't means you don't have to drop it. It's just that what you started and feeling for not finishing is contradictory as far as enlightenment is concerned. You just need a little clarity and decide what's best for you. 

For clarity you can start writing log book or Journaling. Talk to yourself or talk to cosmos by writing. Ask the creator of cosmos by writing for whatever clarity you need and then let cosmos answer through you. Be true to yourself that's what will give you every question answered. 

Completing the degree will give you discipline.  You'll acquire transferrable skills that can be used in whatever else you decide to do.  I found plenty of time between semesters & having summers off to study or do other things.  If you quit school & get some low-paying job, you could be tired at the end of the day.  People go to college to avoid those mundane low-wage positions.  Probably more time is lost because low-wage jobs are time-consuming & very repetitive.  I assume you will have bills to pay & have to feed yourself.

Edited by smd

My experience dictates me to always have a sound plan B,just in case you know...