Antonius

Observing thoughts vs emotions

8 posts in this topic

It's somewhat easy for me to observe my emotions in a detached and dispassionate manner and I think I already got a lot of growth from that. But it's much harder to just observe my thoughts in that detached way because I identify myself too much with them. I don't identify myself with my emotions so I just observe them like they are a river or an object basically, but It's so much harder with thoughts. It's like they are too close to the observer and when I start thinking they kind of blend together and I just get lost in thought. Because of this I put a lot more effort on observing emotions than thoughts.

Am I missing on a lot of growth if I don't observe my thoughts and any tips to do this more effectively?

“Man’s faith in God is measured by his confidence in himself... Your faith in God is measured by your confidence in yourself, because your true self is God.”  - Neville Goddard

I've had similar success with the emotions and the same difficulty with the thoughts...the only thing I really know of is more mindfulness development....with the emotions, it's very helpful as there are body sensations etc...if only there was something like that with thoughts...hmmm...well there is labelling...I don't know...

struggling with this as well. and yeah, the mindful labeling technique has been rather helpful. it builds up the habit to just spontaneously interrupt your thoughts with the small aha moment oh, it's just thinking. that puts distance between your awareness and your thoughts. it's slow and subtle, takes a while to built up the habit.. 

I also found that slowing things down and focussing on my breath helps not getting lost in thoughts.

I've always considered myself a thinker, living in my head..so I feel you! xD we need to keep practicing <3

whatever arises, love that

@Antonius  Observing thoughts is completely necessary. Not just thoughts, mindfulness is all inclusive. You should train to be able to be mindful of every single movement in the stream of consciousness. But it takes a long time to go deeper and deeper. It took about 12 years for me to make it a 24/7 thing. As you keep doing it, you will be able to watch even the subtlest sensations, mood changes etc.

But it sounds like you are on the right track. Very rarely these questions are being asked in this forum. Just make sure you don't distract yourself by thinking about things like paranormal, esp etc. It is fun but a completely useless distraction when it comes to spiritual progress.

Also, mindfulness is really not a doing, even though we use the words like doing, practice etc. When you are mindful, you take place of the witness instead of identifying yourself with the doer. When each thought or emotion arises and passes away, there is a constant realization that those thoughts, emotions and sensations are not you. This is essentially same as self-inquiry. Self-inquiry and mindfulness are just different words used to point out essentially the same thing.

When you get thoughts like "Am I missing on a lot of growth if I don't observe my thoughts and any tips to do this more effectively?", recognize it as another thought, give space for it to arise and pass away. Recognize that it is just another thought but not really about who you are. In other words, it is the same as inquiring "who is missing something?".. Recognize that the 'I' which claims to be missing something is just an appearance created by that thought. When I say recognize, I am talking about just a 'noticing', recognizing for what it is without verbalizing it, without thinking and analyzing it.

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

I had this problem only when meditating with closed eyes, for some reason it is way easier with open eyes, so I would recommend trying that.

@Antonius we meditate every day. We detach from our thoughts. Then, we’re like this with thinking....

DBC2F291-4AAC-4458-9E42-265A1295BEE2.gif

You’re not thinking at all!

Thoughts are happening, like the lamp.

(Agents, are fear & doubt. Self consciousness. Flow interceptors. They’ye So common, they go by “Smith”)

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

This is what I find spiritual autolysis really useful for. Gets you into a strong habit of thought observation and questioning. Give the term a Google to find an excerpt from Jed McKenna's book explaining it

Next time you have a thought, watch it rise and die.

Also, try to pinpoint the sense of self.

The thoughts use a voice that you think is yours, this has to be investigated every time.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them