Odirachris

How Do You Make Mindfulness a Habit?

9 posts in this topic

I guess the title says it all...how do you make mindfulness a daily habit?

That’s what Meditation accomplishes.  I am basically always keenly-aware now.  It’s like I am constantly meditating.

@Odirachris start slowly.

first, be mindful while you sit still.

then, practice it while you do simple tasks like washing dishes or cleaning the floor.

then practice it while you walk around.

then practice it while you listen to people etc

go from simple to complex.

unborn Truth

You can remind yourself to focus on your breath several times during the day. Then you will fall back in your mind, then wake up again...It's like that. You can only be mindful now.

@Odirachris

Technically all you have to do is be aware of everything you do throughout the day. But practically it's a lot more difficult than that because our minds constantly seek to slip into unconsciousness.

A great practical tip is just to set a reminder on your phone to go off every hour or every couple of hours. Then just become mindful of whatever is happening at the moment.

Eventually the habit starts to build.

Great thread guys. Here some more info from helpguide.org.  

https://www.helpguide.org/harvard/benefits-of-mindfulness.htm

“Mindfulness is the practice of purposely focusing your attention on the present moment—and accepting it without judgment. Mindfulness is now being examined scientifically and has been found to be a key element in happiness.”

4154EC47-DA01-400D-A4F4-4DBBF4DBCA7D.jpeg

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

I have a tip for this that really helps me. As was already stated, you definitely want to practice mindfulness meditation daily. Then, when you are doing things, I find the key is to slow down. We are often rushing about the day, doing one thing while thinking of the next. Purposely going slower while performing tasks like cooking or washing dishes really helps keep me mindful. Thich Nhat Hanh mentions something about making everything we do a 'rite'--as if it's a sacred task. Purposely going slow seems to help me achieve that, and keeps me mindful. 

Of course, before you can go slow you have to sort of 'catch' the moment--catch yourself not being mindful. That's what meditation helps me with.

Thanks for all the answers guys.

I will try @ajasatya tip. Let me start by being mindful of small things like sitting and going about my daily routine at home and see how that goes.