AilinKyung

Why the fuck family reunion exists?

7 posts in this topic

I have nothing in common with my grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles. Absolutely nothing.

I tried to start a conversation but we don't have interesting stuff to talk about.

They are kind and nice but; I can't relate them.

I'm really sociable and friendly with people; but I become a shy little kid when I am around with my family.

It's uncomfortable and boring.

I see family reunion as a waste of time and energy. Also I see as a useless gathering

Why family reunion exists?

What is the purpose of family reunion?

Do you guys feel the same as me? Or Am I the weird one?

Edited by AilinKyung

@see_on_see I am forced to go to family reunion because of my parents. They consider impolite not attending them.

When I start living by myself two years later, probably I stop attending family reunion.

@see_on_see I am independent of people opinions. I don't give a fuck what others think about me. But, right now I'm depending on my parents. If I don't attend family reunion; I am gonna have a fight and a really bad time with them. So, when I start living alone, I can decide freely

@AilinKyung It's all about your age, when you are 40+ you'll probably really enjoy family reunions. Either way it's not like you have them every month anyway I presume, so maybe it's bearable. 

Although I do agree with you, all those questions and boring topics are giving me IBS.

Edited by Spiral

I feel wierd in family reunions. Well, i feel weird a lot of the times..

It´s one of the best places to see fake behavior. Like people have to pretend they enjoy being there.

"we are cousins, but i dont know you at all, so lets pretend we have something in common" Just hilarious.

@AilinKyung my family reunions are a contest for whomever made the most money or traveled the most or gained the most something.. I understand the empty feeling when being with family you can't connect with, on an emotional level. It can be or annoying, heartbreaking even, depending on your perspective. Those feelings are usually an indicator that it's time to either: build ties within the family that make sense so as to perpetuate the bond -even improve it if you can, or, it's time for you to leave, explore the world and do your own thing. Good luck !