How to be wise

10,000 hours of work

23 posts in this topic

I recently discovered that in order to become a real master of consciousness, you need to put in around 10,000 hours of work. If I carry on my two hours of contemplation every day I will become a master in.... 14 years. What! I can't wait for 14 years. It looks like the only way to achieve mastery soon is to become an ascetic and to contemplate for 10 hours a day. What's your plan? How will you complete your 10,000 hours whilst living in a city? And pursuing your life purpose. Impossible. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

You can still become good without spending 10000 hours but 10000 hours alone isn't all what is required it's more important how they are spend by doing deliberate pratice but i am not sure if that is the same for consciousness it's not my own opinion but something but from anderson erickson who came up with the deliberate pratice

if you do it 4 or 5 hours a day 5-6 days a week you should be able to do 10000 hours in about 10 years :)

Edited by BjarkeT

It becomes way easier if you watch your thoughts patterns 24/7 :)

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@How to be wise It took you 12 years to graduate high school.

So what's another 14 years? ;)

Doctors, lawyers, and PhD's spend 8 years in grad school. And you want to master the whole universe in how long?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Shin it's not easy watching your thought patterns '24/7' trust me. You can do it on and off for a total of three hours and tell yourself it was '24/7'. But I don't think watching thought patterns is enough. You need real deliberate work put forth. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

2 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Mastering anything takes 10,000 hours. If you want to master the piano, you should expect to invest at least the same amount of time.

Good news for consciousness though: As @Shin said, you can potentially practise every single moment of the day.

You can literally raise your consciousness while you're taking a shit.

No aspiring master piano player has that kind of freedom xD

In theory, yes. But it's impractical. We don't have the mental capacity to be mindful all the time. 

You would probably also be burnout very fast it might be better to put a lot of effort in a few hours instead of a small effort over the whole day

@Shiva you can actually pratice the piano without sitting in front of it some research shows that people who used their mind to re create what they needed to pratice would get similar results as those who used regular pratice

https://youtu.be/f2O6mQkFiiw

Edited by BjarkeT

19 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

@Shin it's not easy watching your thought patterns '24/7' trust me. You can do it on and off for a total of three hours and tell yourself it was '24/7'. But I don't think watching thought patterns is enough. You need real deliberate work put forth. 

What do you think they are doing in a Zen monastery ?

I'm not saying self-inquiry isn't usefull, I'm just saying you can be conscious every second, and go deeper and deeper, there is no end.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@How to be wise You’re unstoppable. So where is the motivation to come from now that you have realized the magnitude of your undertaking? If you haven’t, read Outliers, the book of the 10,000 hours study. That book is about people who were unstoppable, and I think you would relate and that would prime your mind so to speak, ‘reconnect you’, and get you back to loving being ‘whatever it takes’. 

“Whip whip - run me like a race horse, pull me like a ripcord, break me down and build me up - cause I love the adrenaline in my veins, I love how it feels to break the chains - take me to the top, I’m ready for whatever it takes”.  - Dan Reynolds

We all love that feeling. It’s the worthwhile one. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

29 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@How to be wise You’re unstoppable. So where is the motivation to come from now that you have realized the magnitude of your undertaking? If you haven’t, read Outliers, the book of the 10,000 hours study. That book is about people who were unstoppable, and I think you would relate and that would prime your mind so to speak, ‘reconnect you’, and get you back to loving being ‘whatever it takes’. 

“Whip whip - run me like a race horse, pull me like a ripcord, break me down and build me up - cause I love the adrenaline in my veins, I love how it feels to break the chains - take me to the top, I’m ready for whatever it takes”.  - Dan Reynolds

We all love that feeling. It’s the worthwhile one. 

I think asceticism is the solution. It's practically impossible to meditate for 10 hours a day if you live in a city in a family. You need to go off into the wild, abondan all material goods, and spend your whole day meditating. At least for a few years. Quite dangerous, but very worthwhile.

This is so true.  Enlightenment included.  You gotta live it.  You gotta wanna become a master of it.

42 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

I think asceticism is the solution. It's practically impossible to meditate for 10 hours a day if you live in a city in a family. You need to go off into the wild, abondan all material goods, and spend your whole day meditating. At least for a few years. Quite dangerous, but very worthwhile.

I hear ya! Thank God for psychedelics! 

One can have his cake and eat it too. All is possible. The Devil’s in the rush. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

11 hours ago, How to be wise said:

I recently discovered that in order to become a real master of consciousness, you need to put in around 10,000 hours of work. If I carry on my two hours of contemplation every day I will become a master in.... 14 years. What! I can't wait for 14 years. It looks like the only way to achieve mastery soon is to become an ascetic and to contemplate for 10 hours a day. What's your plan? How will you complete your 10,000 hours whilst living in a city? And pursuing your life purpose. Impossible. 

The 10,000-hour rule is not some magical number you need to hit before you're a Master. In fact, I'm pretty sure the 10,000-hour rule is complete rubbish. Why can't you achieve the same progress in 2000 hours? 500 hours? Very deep, focused work is all that is required. Becoming a Master is dependant on too many variables. Two completely different people could do 10,000 hours and be a million miles apart from one another in their ability and skill.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

Why are you letting someone else impose a limit on you ? I can not tell you how long it will take but I would not put a number on it. What I can tell you is if you say I can not do this untill I do 10000 hours well  guess what you are right. You will make that true as a self fufiling prophecy. Telling youself you can not do a thing or puting a timeline like this is paramount to self sabatage in my opinion.

Do the work enjoy the ride and do not impose such limits on yourself. 

Edited by Source_Mystic

I no longer advocate, participate, condone, or support  actualized.org or Leo Gura in anyway. The reasons are left in the few post I left behind. 

12 hours ago, How to be wise said:

In theory, yes. But it's impractical. We don't have the mental capacity to be mindful all the time. 

You are limiting yourself.

From the moment I wake up till the moment I go to sleep I am practicing self inquiry, and yes I have work and other shores to do and still able to apply it all the time with barely any distractions.

So no more excuses. just do it!

Formal sitting practice is important, but what about the rest of the day? you are going to let your mind wander again".

@How to be wise
You overlook the beauty of this journey. The path is the true destination.
I am already at a point where I don't even strive for enlightenment anymore because life became so beautiful in all its facets even being sad is tremendously beautiful. I am on this journey for only 3 years by now while the first year was kind of off and on.

You only need time until you realise you don´t need time.

Btw, for most people the awakening is a gradual process, which is taking place inside of you, right now - at some degree.

So, this is it! Congrats to your awakening-process!

Edited by Hsinav

14 hours ago, How to be wise said:

There’s something to be said for getting away from culture and media.  I like what asceticism does in moderation.  People take it too far though, like everything else that gets reduced to meanings.  The Mind loves to cling to meanings.  The problem is — all meanings are false!

Edited by Joseph Maynor